new member researching Taits, Duncans, Gordons

  • duncan.mags
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2010
      Hi all,

      I am new to the group and researching Boddam/Peterhead Duncans, and Peterhead Gordons and Taits

      Also interetsed in learning more about 1941 James St bombing as my grandfathers brother was killed during that. Is anyone elese here tracing the ancestors of people who died as a result of the bomb?
    • Elisabeth Wilson
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2010
        At 12:50 AM 7/03/2010, you wrote:

        >Hi all,
        >
        >I am new to the group and researching Boddam/Peterhead Duncans, and
        >Peterhead Gordons and Taits
        Hi,

        I'm interested in Gordons too - mine lived in Merchant Street. I know
        a lot about them back to William Gordon who was born c. 1818 - can't
        find his father. Happy to share what information I have.

        Regards,
        Elisabeth

        Elisabeth Wilson
        Lenah Valley, Tasmania
        SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
        (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
      • duncan.mags
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2010
          I havent got very far withe Gordons I have Amelia Strachan Gordon born 1897 married to Joseph Foster Tait. She was somehow related to William Gordon a Provost of Peterhead 1946-1950

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 11, 2010
            At 07:36 PM 11/03/2010, you wrote:

            >I havent got very far withe Gordons I have Amelia Strachan Gordon
            >born 1897 married to Joseph Foster Tait. She was somehow related to
            >William Gordon a Provost of Peterhead 1946-1950
            I'm afraid none of these sound like any of mine!

            Elisabeth Wilson
            Lenah Valley, Tasmania
            SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
            (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
          • Mary Barnes
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 19, 2010
              Hi Elizabeth,

              I wonder if one of your Boddam/Peterhead Duncan ancestors might be William Duncan, who died aged 58, on 7 May 1877. His death was the result of the pilot boat capsizing off the Skerrie, with all three crew lost, no bodies found. I have his death certificate (it was on the same page of the register as that of my great-grandfather Matthew Nicol who died in the same accident). I also have several newspaper reports of the accident. I can send you copies of these if you are interested.

              William was married to Margaret Duncan. His parents were William Duncan, seaman and Margaret Duncan (M.S. Robertson), both deceased at the time of his death. It was reported that that he had four children, and that he sailed for many years, as ordinary seaman and mate, with Captain William Mackie in the schooner Jane of Peterhead.

              Mary

              Mary Barnes
              marysb@...
            • duncan.mags
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 20, 2010
                My William Duncan was the son of Alexander Duncan and Ann Cooper. He was born 1847 in the Parish of Ellon and married Christian Bruce and I believe they lived around Clola, Aberdeenshire before moving into Boddam. They were certainly in Boddam by 1878 as their son James was born there in that year.

                I dont think the William Duncan you mention is him.

                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Mary Barnes <marysb@...> wrote:

                > Hi Elizabeth,
                >
                > I wonder if one of your Boddam/Peterhead Duncan ancestors might be William Duncan, who died aged 58, on 7 May 1877. His death was the result of the pilot boat capsizing off the Skerrie, with all three crew lost, no bodies found. I have his death certificate (it was on the same page of the register as that of my great-grandfather Matthew Nicol who died in the same accident). I also have several newspaper reports of the accident. I can send you copies of these if you are interested.
                >
                > William was married to Margaret Duncan. His parents were William Duncan, seaman and Margaret Duncan (M.S. Robertson), both deceased at the time of his death. It was reported that that he had four children, and that he sailed for many years, as ordinary seaman and mate, with Captain William Mackie in the schooner Jane of Peterhead.
                >
                > Mary
                >

                > Mary Barnes
                > marysb@...

              • duncan.mags
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 20, 2010
                  Oh I am sorry, I see you have addressed this to Elizabeth and not me. I do apologise - I'm not yet used to the way yahoo groups work, it came to my email address therefore it was for me lol sorry!!!