Re: Davidson's in Peterhead

  • scotnel4
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2010
      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, F Ratchford <thebigknights@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > I've found a record that shows that an Alexander Davidson (seaman deceased) was a parent with Elspet Hutchison (deceased).  James Davidson's Death certificate of 1858, Peterhead, aged 57, gave these individuals as his parents. Hopefully these are my ancestors, but there is a lot of useful circumstantial evidence on this.  Here goes:
      >
      > My ancestor's Robert Davidson (seaman) married Helen Dunn in Peterhead 1825. There is a census record for Robert Davidson, seaman, born 1796 Aberdeenshire, in Longate, Peterhead.  There is a Merchant Seaman Record for Robert Davidson born 1791. There is an OPR for Alexander Davidson, Shipmaster in Peterhead, who had 3 children baptised, Robert (26 July 1791), Alexander and William. I don't know if this is my Robert.
      >
      > In a number of Parish Records, witnesses for the baptism of a number of Robert Davidson and Helen Dunn's children's were Peter Dunn (Helen's brother) and James Davidson, (presumably a relative of Robert).   I could find no death record for Robert, although he was still alive in 1844 for the birth of his last son (presumably) but his wife was head of the household in 1851, and was definitely dead in 1856 as recorded on a son's death certificate.
      >
      > As I had exhausted all other routes of finding Robert's parents, I decided to concentrate on this James.  By collecting information around this couple, I discovered that in the 1841 census, James Davidson (born 1801) was living next door to Helen Davidson (?sister-in-law), her 6 children, and 2 households away from James and Janet Lawrence. I can find no definitive births for this James Davidson.  In the 1851 census, there was a James Davidson, (born 1801 Peterhead), but there was no mention of James Davidson in 1861 census, had he possibly died? On this hunch, I found a Death Cert: March 28th 1858, 51 Longate, Peterhead, James Davidson, (aged 57) father Alexander Davidson, mother Elspet Hutchinson, witness was Janet Lawrence, neighbour.
      >
      > So Janet Lawrence was both a witness and a neighbour.  This address could have been a family home, as two years earlier, James Davidson (1836-1856), son of Robert Davidson and Helen Dunn died there.  In the 1861 census, Helen Dunn is living at 52 Longate Street, Peterhead. Also here is daughter Elspet Craig and her 3 children.  Helen and Robert's daughter Elspet married Alexander Craig in 1854 and in the 1861 census, they were living at 52 Longate Street, Peterhead.  Further, Robert Davidson's daughter Elspeth, it could be argued under Scottish naming patterns, was named after his mother, Elspet Hutchison.
      >
      > So I've got a lot of circumstantial evidence that could lead one to assume that this James Davidson was a brother to Robert and therefore gives me their parents, Alexander Davidson and Elspet Hutchison
      >
      > Please poke holes in my deductions, criticism welcomed, or  some thoughts to new avenues to persue!

      Hello Fionnadh,

      Your deductions sound good.

      It looks as though James left an 11 page will. I wonder if it's worth £5 to see if he left anything to his brother's widow or anybody else you've associated with him.

      Regards,
      Annette
    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2010
        Hi list,

        I have a question for all of you who are researching Davidsons in and around Peterhead.

        My gg grandmother was Janet Davidson, born abt 1794 in Crimond. Her parents were William Davidson and Janet Crighton (or Creighton). She married Robert Stephen, a seaman and whitefisher, in Peterhead in 1822. Robert died, probably before 1841 and definitely before 1851. In 1841 Janet was living in Boddam and in 1851 in Ronheads where she kept a lodging house. Among the boarders in the lodging house in 1851 were Charles Davidson (22), Joiner, and George Davidson (19), Blacksmith, who we think may have been relatives. Janet died in Aberdeen in 1884.

        Does any of this ring a bell with anyone? I would love to hear of any links to other Davidsons, as these are the only ones I have.

        Mary

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...

      • D
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2011
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "scotnel4" <NelMit4@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > So I've got a lot of circumstantial evidence that could lead one to assume that this James Davidson was a brother to Robert and therefore gives me their parents, Alexander Davidson and Elspet Hutchison
          > >
          > > Please poke holes in my deductions, criticism welcomed, or  some thoughts to new avenues to persue!
          > >
          > > Best wishes,
          > > Fionnadh

          > Hello Fionnadh,
          >
          > Your deductions sound good.
          >
          > It looks as though James left an 11 page will. I wonder if it's worth £5 to see if he left anything to his brother's widow or anybody else you've associated with him.

          Hi Fionnadh,

          I am David Davidson from Peterhead and have been researching my family
          and came across your query.

          I have traced back to the the Birth of James Davidson whos father Alex Davidson Shipmaster registered a post houmous birth 1800.

          James Davidson Ships Carpenter is my GGG Grandfather

          His son James Ships Carpenter was my GG Grandfather

          66 Longate St Peterhead.

          James' son John Davidson (Stonecutter)1901 Census 9 St Mary St Peterhead was my Great Grandfather.

          His son David Davidson born 1909, my Grandfather was a Cooper and played football for Peterhead Football Club in the Highland League worked at Cleveland Twistdrill Peterhead before retiring. I have posted some photos of my familyin the Photo section.

          My Father David Davidson 78 is still living in Peterhead

          Kind Regards

          David Davidson 54

          Aberdeen Scotland