Re: [Peterhead] Digest Number 1794

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2010
      On 09/02/2010, at 2:02 PM, DeLories Vaughn wrote:

      > You speak of William Nicol and his wife Helen(Milne)
      > They were my ggreat uncle and aunt. It broke my heart to read the letter that he sent to Helen. What great love he had for his family. I would love, more than anything, to have a copy of the letter. Or I should say a copy of the written document. I, almost, wanted to sit here and have a good cry. It truly touched me. Thank you so much for putting it on the Peterhead group.
      > Regard,
      > DeLories
      > JDVon2@...

      Hello DeLories,

      I'm curious to know just how you are related to William Nicol and Helen Milne. Is it through the Milne side of the family or the Nicol side? If the Nicol side, then we are distant cousins. Would you like to contact me directly at the address below, so that we can exchange information off-list?

      William Nicol was MY (half) great uncle, since my grandfather, Matthew Nicol, was his half-brother. Matthew was 28 years younger than William. I was the source of the printed letter, and can send you a scanned version of it, if you would like. One of my cousins found it among his father's papers after his death (his father was a seaman too, so the letter may have resonated with him). I have absolutely no idea where the original handwritten document might be, if it exists. I would imagine that it was kept by Helen - but she married again a few years after William's death, moved to Aberdeen, had several more children, and eventually emigrated to Cape Town, so even if it has been preserved, I doubt if it could be traced.

      Mary Barnes
      marysb@...