Alexander Wilson Herd

  • Iain Birnie
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 13, 2010
      I'm researching my Peterhead family - my gg grandfather Alexander Wilson Herd and his father James. AW Herd's wife was Margaret Simpson (possibly also from Peterhead). James' wife was Amelia Wilson (parents John Wilson and Isabella Forest). Margaret Simpson's parents were George Simpson and Elizabeth Walker.

      Both father and son Herd were seamen (sometimes described as Whalers) and sailed from Peterhead and Dundee.
      I've found one ship that AW was on - the "Dart" Registered on the Isle of Man on a trip around the UK and across to the Baltic in 1881. His previous ship was the Victor but nothing more from there. The Dart's record also list his Royal Naval Reserve number so he was perhaps in the Royal Navy also.
      Any help about any family members would be gratefully received.
      Many thanks,

      Iain Birnie

    • Alison Kennedy
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 13, 2010
        Iain

        James Hird (or Herd) & Amelia Wilson feature loosely on our family tree through their daughter Margaret (Maggie) who married James Finnie (2 May 1870, Seagate, Peterhead) who was a brother of a direct ancestor.   Not sure if I can give you any information that you probably don't already have, but James was described as a Merchant Seaman on his death on 26 November 1900, his parents being John Hird (Seaman) & Margaret Hird ms Fraser.

        Amelia (bc 1822, Peterhead) died shortly before James, on 2 October 1900 and is interred in Lair C301 of St Peter's Churchyard, Peterhead (James is not buried with her).  The informants of both Amelia's & James' deaths was their daughter Margaret - don't know if the blow of losing both parents, so close together, was too much, but Margaret herself died shortly after on 30 December 1900.

        James & Amelia had 9 children that I am aware of - I don't have much on the others except for Alexander's marriage; their daughter Mary b. 21 June 1855, Peterhead married John Johnstone Wallace (son of Alexander Wallace, Shipmaster & Margaret Johnstone) 30 September 1878, Peterhead; and also their son John died 1860, Peterhead.

        Hope the above is of some assistance.

        Alison

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 13, 2010
          Hi Iain,
          You might already have this.
          No relations to me.

          James Herd, seaman in Peterhead
          a son Alexander Wilson born 18 Aug 1844 bap 23 Aug 1844
          before Alexander Beedie and John Hay

          James Herd, seaman in Peterhead and Amelia Wilson his wife
          a son James born 3 June 1847 bap 9 June 1847
          before Alexander Beedie and Alexander Baird

          James Herd, seaman in Peterhead and Amelia Wilson his wife
          a daughter Margaret born 28 June 1848 bap 10 July 1848
          before Alexander Beedie and Andrew Milne.

          Best wishes,
          Catherine

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 14, 2010
            For : Alison & Iain

            Could the John Herd mentioned in
            your postings be the following Shipmaster :

            JOHN HERD (c21930 Liverpool 1863)

            Born : c1838 Peterhead

            Vessels :

            City of New York (42597) (Mate) 1863 US

            City of Limerick (Mate) 1863

            City of Baltimore (Mate) 1863

            Edinburgh (Mate) 1867-68

            Kangaroo (Mate) 1865

            City of Cork (Mate) 1865-66

            City of Paris (Mate) 1868

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 14, 2010
              does anyone have any information about the Rollo family who lived in Auquharney 1800s-1900s ? thank you,janette.

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 29, 2011
                Hello
                Do you have names and birth dates for children born to James Finnie and Margaret Hird / Herd ?

                Marg

                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

                > Iain
                >
                > James Hird (or Herd) & Amelia Wilson feature loosely on our family tree through their daughter Margaret (Maggie) who married James Finnie (2 May 1870, Seagate, Peterhead) who was a brother of a direct ancestor.   Not sure if I can give you any information that you probably don't already have, but James was described as a Merchant Seaman on his death on 26 November 1900, his parents being John Hird (Seaman) & Margaret Hird ms Fraser.
                >
                > Amelia (bc 1822, Peterhead) died shortly before James, on 2 October 1900 and is interred in Lair C301 of St Peter's Churchyard, Peterhead (James is not buried with her).  The informants of both Amelia's & James' deaths was their daughter Margaret - don't know if the blow of losing both parents, so close together, was too much, but Margaret herself died shortly after on 30 December 1900.
                >
                > James & Amelia had 9 children that I am aware of - I don't have much on the others except for Alexander's marriage; their daughter Mary b. 21 June 1855, Peterhead married John Johnstone Wallace (son of Alexander Wallace, Shipmaster & Margaret Johnstone) 30 September 1878, Peterhead; and also their son John died 1860, Peterhead.
                >
                > Hope the above is of some assistance.
                >
                > Alison
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Iain Birnie
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 31, 2011
                  Sorry Margaret - it's not a branch I've looked at

                  iain.
                  Do you have names and birth dates for children born to James Finnie and Margaret Hird / Herd ?

                  Marg

                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

                  > Iain
                  >
                  > James Hird (or Herd) & Amelia Wilson feature loosely on our family tree through their daughter Margaret (Maggie) who married James Finnie (2 May 1870, Seagate, Peterhead) who was a brother of a direct ancestor.   Not sure if I can give you any information that you probably don't already have, but James was described as a Merchant Seaman on his death on 26 November 1900, his parents being John Hird (Seaman) & Margaret Hird ms Fraser.
                  >
                  > Amelia (bc 1822, Peterhead) died shortly before James, on 2 October 1900 and is interred in Lair C301 of St Peter's Churchyard, Peterhead (James is not buried with her).  The informants of both Amelia's & James' deaths was their daughter Margaret - don't know if the blow of losing both parents, so close together, was too much, but Margaret herself died shortly after on 30 December 1900.
                  >
                  > James & Amelia had 9 children that I am aware of - I don't have much on the others except for Alexander's marriage; their daughter Mary b. 21 June 1855, Peterhead married John Johnstone Wallace (son of Alexander Wallace, Shipmaster & Margaret Johnstone) 30 September 1878, Peterhead; and also their son John died 1860, Peterhead.
                  >
                  > Hope the above is of some assistance.
                  >
                  > Alison

                • Margaret
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 31, 2011
                    Thanks for that Iain. I will have to keep looking.

                    Marg.