Re: Losses of Seamen and Fishermen from Peterhead

  • Alison Kennedy
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 10, 2010
      Everyone

      I would like to say a big thank you to everyone, too many for me to thank individually, over the last few days, who have given me information and suggestions following my appeal for help.

      Many thanks for taking the time to share your information, some of which must have taken some time to prepare.

      I haven't had time yet to digest all the information but will endeavour to do so over the next couple of weeks.  If I find any information on any of the seamen or fishermen during my research, whose losses have been suggested, then I will happily forward this information on to those involved.  I'm sure that this will give me a huge hand with what I have in mind to write about.

      Once again many, many, thanks.

      Alison

    • George
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 21, 2010
        Fit like Alison - here's a late entry for you.Although slightly outside your timescale "1796"It must be one of the earliest recorded Peterhead fishing vessel losses recorded in the newspapers. Taken from the Aberdeen Journal of 19th December 1796.Two vessels lost(unfortunately not named),10 men lost leaving 8 widows and 35 children and some aged dependant parents!As my typing is not the fastest have posted the photocopy in files under Andrew Duncan Aberdeen Journals Death 1796.

        Rgds George Duncan
      • Alison Kennedy
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 22, 2010
          George

          Thanks for the information.  Although slightly outwith my intended timescale I'm looking at possibly referring to other major shipping losses which occurred (I've got to stretch dissertation somehow!) so I may well include this one as being one of the earliest known about.

          Regards

          Alison