Re: [Peterhead] Re:  Losses of Seamen and Fishermen from Peterhead

  • PHMorrison
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2010
      Hi Alex,

      The Alexander Morrison on this list is the youngest son of my GGG
      Grandfather, Thomas Morrison, and Elizabeth Walker. I guess his vessel was
      named after his mother¹s family.

      My GG Grandfather, Robert Morrison, was the next brother up, only 2 years
      older. He went on into the maritime world too, becoming an officer on the
      Cunard line; he too died at sea, but at the age of 54, while crossing the
      Atlantic on the SS Epurnia.

      Seamen and being lost at sea was not rare in my family ­ my GG Grandfather¹s
      eldest son, also Robert Morrison, was lost at sea in 1881. He was an
      apprentice aboard the Eurynome when it was lost at sea on 19 May 1881 - all
      crew were supposed drowned. The Eurynome was a 210 foot, 1163 ton, full
      rigged ship, on a voyage from Liverpool to Australia, and arrived in
      Victoria in March 1881, with 13 passengers on board. With wheat loaded at
      Melbourne and Geelong, she left for Falmouth, England, on 19 May 1881 and
      was not seen again. She is believed to have foundered at sea with all
      hands lost.

      I had not had these details about Alexander before, so thankyou. If there
      is anything else on this chap, or family, it would be greatly welcomed.

      Regards,

      Philip Morrison