Re:  Losses of Seamen and Fishermen from Peterhead

  • alex-jean Ritchie
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2010
      For Alison :

      Below is a list of some Peterhead shipmasters who either died at sea or
      in a foreign port. This may or may not be of assistance to you depending
      on the theme of your dissertation. Hope it helps……………….Alex Ritchie

      WILLIAM ALLAN

      Born : November 13th.1845, son of William Allan & Helen Wallace

      Died : At sea on October 27th.1893 (Aged 48) (Death Certificate :
      023/MR Entry 937)

      Vessels :

      Nova Zembla of Dundee (Served as Mate) 1893

      ALEXANDER BROWN

      Died : Drowned at sea on December 1st.1838 (Aged 43) (M.I. Cruden)

      ROBERT FERGUS BRUCE

      Born : December 3rd.1834, son of William Bruce (Surgeon) & Jane ???

      Died : August 21st.1873 of remittent fever (Captain of the
      S.S.Ejequibo) (Buchan Observer Sept.19th.1873)

      WILLIAM BRUCE

      Born : c1830, son of Donald Bruce & Isabella Thomson

      Died : Died on the “Mazinthien” June 8th.1875 (Aged 49). (Death
      Certificate : 020/MR (34))

      WILLIAM CHRISTIE

      Born : November 19th.1805, son of Alexander Christie (Shipmaster) &
      Margaret Brodie

      Died : December 7th.1828, Master of the Peterhead Brig “Vigilant” lost
      with all hands, and buried

      In Castle
      Firke churchyard, County of Ross, Ireland

      JAMES CLARK

      Born : c1801

      Died : July 26th.1847 at Greenland

      WILLIAM CORDINER

      Born : 1844

      Died : June 10th.1881 at Sea (washed overboard) (Death Certificate :
      021/MR(245))

      (Schooner “Blue & White” of Dumfries) (8/64 “Blue & White”)

      WILLIAM CORMACK

      Born : c1777

      Died : At Sea in 1805 (Aged 28) (M.I. Old Cemetery)

      DAVID COWAN

      Born : c1814, son of Adam Cowan & Ann Russel (They married Oct.8th.1810
      in Peterhead)

      Died : Archangel on November 16th.1853 (Aged 39) (M.I. Constitution
      St. Cemetery)

      (Will : Feb.8th.1854)

      JOHN CRUICKSHANK

      Born : c1821

      Died : July 27th.1881 at Sea of Apoplexy (Master of the “Gleam” of
      Peterhead) (Residence : Prince Street)

      WILLIAM WILSON CRUICKSHANK

      Born : c1846 in Macduff, son of William Cruickshank & Margaret McDonald

      Died : August 25th.1890 at Sea in the Baltic (Drowned – Vessel Missing)
      (Death Cert. : 022/MR (487))

      (Master of the Schooner “Renown”)

      JAMES DAVIDSON

      Born : c1838

      Died : October 6th.1876 (Aged 39) on the "Xanthus" at Cumberland Sound
      of Inflammation

      (Death
      Certificate : 020/MR (171))

      WILLIAM DAVIDSON

      Died : 1823 (Aged 57) at Sea

      ALEXANDER GEARY Jnr.

      Alexander Geary, son of Alexander Geary Snr., died on board the
      “Dexterity” of Peterhead returning from Greenland in August 1819 aged 26

      JOHN GODSMAN

      Born : c1810

      Died : On the vessel “Rose” in Peterhead Harbour

      Buried : May 8th.1842 (Aged 32) in Lair E285 (Old Cemetery)

      JAMES GRANT

      Died : December 1842 at Sea (Aged 31) (M.I. Old Cemetery, Peterhead)

      JOHN GRAY

      Died on board his ship, the “Eclipse”, at the David Straits.

      Born : February 1806 (South Shields), son of David Gray I & Lilias
      Cowan

      JAMES HOGG

      Died in the North Harbour on January 10th.1849 during a storm.

      Born : c1809

      Died : January 10th.1849 (Age 40))

      JAMES ANDERSON IRVINE

      Born : c1852, son of ???????? & Margaret Irvine

      Died : January 25th.1890 – Isle of Wight (1st.Mate of “Ibex” - Drowned)
      (Death Cert. : 022/MR (411))

      ALEXANDER KEITH

      Alexander Keith was mate on he “Syrian” when he died (complications from
      a broken leg) in Adelaide, South Australia in 1877

      Born : c1823

      (Death Certificate : 021MR/ (2)

      WILLIAM GREIG KING

      Born : 1827, son of Alexander King (Watchmaker) & Janet Gray

      Died : December 29th.1878 (Aged 51) at Sea. (Washed Overboard when
      master of the vessel “Lady
      Cecilia Hay”)

      Notes : also lost Charles Wemyss (Mate) aged 42

      JAMES LAW

      James Law who died suddenly off Cape Horn on October 9th.1856 aged 49
      years.

      Born : c1807

      JAMES LOWRIE

      Lost when his ship, the whaler “Hannibal” of Peterhead went down.

      Born : c1795

      Died : February 1st.1848 (about)

      JOHN MACKIE (Roanheads)

      Died : October 5th.1853 at Sea

      Vessels :

      Master (Age 48) of DUBLIN of Peterhead (1851 Crew Lists) - whaler

      THOMAS MACKIE

      Thomas Mackie, master of the “Union” of Peterhead died in Greenland. His
      body was taken home and buried in the Old Cemetery.

      Born : c1784, son of Thomas Mackie

      Died : May 10th.1831 at Greenland (In his 48th. Year) (M.I. Old
      Cemetery)

      WILLIAM MACKIE

      Born : c1819

      Died : October 14th.1881 at sea, master of the vessel “JANE” of
      Peterhead (No.45127)

      (Death Certificate : 021MR (281))

      Notes : Vessel lost. Other crew members lost were James Cow (41) Mate,
      James Mrshall (24) Seaman, Michael Kelly (25) Seaman.

      WILLIAM MACKIE

      Born : c1840, son of George Mackie (Seaman) & Ann Mackie

      Died : Oct.27th.1887 (Age 48) off Cape of Good Hope, 3 days out of
      Durban (Java fever). Buried at Sea

      ALEXANDER MACKINNON

      Died of cholera in Pernan, Russia when in command of the barque
      “Estelle”(58884)

      Born : c1836, son of Lachlan McKinnon (seaman) & Susan Hutton

      Died : August 3rd.1871 in Pernan, Russia (Schooner “Estelle”)

      JOHN MARTIN (Certificate of Competency : c 19748 Aberdeen 1861)

      Died in his sleep on a homeward journey from Cronstadt, in command of
      the “Annie” of Peterhead.

      Born : c1831, son of John Martin (Shipmaster) & Margaret Watt

      Died : At Sea on August 17th.1871

      JOHN MARTIN Jnr.

      Born : May 23rd.1808, son of John Martin (Shipmaster) & Jean Buchan

      Died : June or July 13th.1845 in the West Indies (M.I. Old Cemetery)

      THOMAS MATHIESON

      “Schooner “Robert” (Mathewson) of Peterhead was capsized in a heavy
      squall off

      Ystadt on 22nd.ult. when all hands, except one of the crew named James
      Wilcox of Peterhead

      Went down with the vessel. She was loaded with coals from Sunderland.”

      (Aberdeen Journal : 12/7/1848)

      Born : c1799

      ALEXANDER MATHEW

      Born : c1830

      Died : May 16th.1876 at Sea (Master of the “Theseus”) (Death Certificate
      : 020/MR (143))

      WILLIAM MAY

      Born : c1830, son of John May (Fisherman) & Jane Stephen

      Died : April 18th.1878 at Sea on the "Lanarkshire" on passage between
      Rangoon & Bombay (Aged 47)

      Of Heart Disease (Death Certificate : 021/MR (29))

      JAMES MILNE

      Born : August 13th.1843, son of Robert Milne (Shipmaster) & Elizabeth
      Bruce

      Died : March 26th.1893 – Penang, Straits Settlement (Vessel :
      “Ebenezer”)

      JAMES MINTO

      James Minto, master of the “Joseph Green”, died in the Davis Straits in
      June 1844 aged 48 years and was interred at Frudsland ??.

      Born : c1796

      ALEXANDER MORRISON (or MURRISON)

      Lost when his vessel “Walker” of Peterhead was lost off the Northumbrian
      coast. It was on it’s way from Peterhead to Newcastle with a cargo of
      oats when it was driven ashore (bottom up) at Holy Island. All the crew
      perished. They all belonged to Peterhead and were George Sells (mate),
      Alexander Duff and Robert Stell.

      Born : 1842, son of Thomas Morrison (Shoemaker) & Elizabeth Walker

      Died : December 8th.1874 at Sea (M.I. Constitution St. Cemetery)

      WILLIAM MURISON

      Born : 1842, son of James Murrison (Stone Quarrier) (50 in 1851) &
      Margaret Murrison (51 in 1851) (Ugie Street ) ?

      Died : September 30th.1873 (Aged 31) at Hamburg (Ship : “DART”)

      GEORGE NAPIER (Certificate of Competency : c13012 Glasgow 1864)

      Captain of the “City of Hankow” (George Smith & Sons, Glasgow) drowned
      215 miles from Ascension Island. He was the son of Mr.John Napier, Fish
      Curer.

      Born : c1842, son of John Napier (Fish Curer) & Catherine Milne

      Died : June 15th.1872 (residing in Peterhead. Master of the “City of
      Hankow” (Glasgow)) Drowned off Ascension Island (Aged 31).

      MATTHEW NICOL (Certificate of Service : s70330)

      Matthew Nicol was a native of Berwick, but for many years was master and
      part owner of several trading vessels, and latterly he owned a herring
      curing establishment in Peterhead. He died in 1877 when a pilot vessel
      was upset by a sudden squall.

      Born : February 25th.1811 (in North Berwick), son of William Nicol
      (Taylor) & Mary Burns

      Died : May 7th.1877 (Schooner “Express”) (Death Certificate : 232/1
      (70))

      PETER NICOL

      He commanded the “Loch Sloy” on a voyage to Adelaide in April 1899. The
      vessel overran her distance and was wrecked on Kangaroo Island. He was
      trying to locate the Cape Borda light, but it was obscured from view by
      the cliffs between Cape Bedout and Cape Couldie and, on the morning of
      April 24th., became a total loss on the Brothers Rocks. All but four
      people on the vessel perished. One of the crew was Robert B.F.Birnie,
      sailmaker and son of Charles Birnie (above).

      Born : c1861, son of Peter Nicol (Sailmaker) & Jessie Gillan

      WILLIAM RITCHIE

      Drowned when the “Chacabuco” of Liverpool collided with the “Torch” of
      Dublin in St.George’s Channel. Captain Ritchie commanded the “Chacabuco”
      which was inward bound from San Francisco. Other Peterhead crew members
      lost were George Ritchie (Captain’s nephew & second mate), Alexander
      Murray (Carpenter), Robert Robertson (Steward).

      Born : c1823

      Lost off Great Ormshead, St.George’s Channel on March 1st.1873 (Aged 50)
      (M.I. Old Cemetery)

      WILLIAM PENNY ROBERTSON

      William P.Robertson, was drowned at sea along with his son Alexander,
      Mate (Aged 21) on December 8th.1872

      Born : c1824, son of Alexander Robertson (Shipmaster) & Jane Anderson

      Died : Dec.8th.1872 (Aged 48)

      WILLIAM ROBERTSON

      Born : c1799

      Died : June 23rd.1823 at Greenland (Aged 29) (M.I. Old Cemetery)

      Master of the HOPE of Peterhead.

      WILLIAM SELLAR(S)

      Born : c1827, son of George Sellar (Shipmaster) & Marjory Craig.

      Died : July 1st.1866 (Aged 39) (Will : Sept.5th.1867) (Died at
      St.Thomas , “Sir Colin Campbell”)

      ALEXANDER SHEWAN

      Born : c1862, son of Alexander Shewan (Shipmaster) & Elspet Emslie

      Died : January 25th.1910 (Aged 48) at Sea (2nd. Mate of “Landale” –
      Concussion)

      (Death Certificate : 028/MR (112)

      GEORGE SIMPSON

      One of Peterhead’s most successful whaling captains. He owned and died
      in command of the “Industry” on her maiden voyage to the Baltic with a
      cargo of herring. His son George was a crew member on this voyage. He
      was buried at Stettin.

      Born : c1790

      Died : September 11th.1848 at Stettin (M.I. St.Peter’s Cemetery,
      Peterhead)

      WILLIAM SOUTTAR

      Born : c1834, son of Alexander Souttar (Harbour Master) (53 in 1851) &
      Mary Milne (b.Cruden, 49 in 1851 (3 Park Lane)

      Died : May 10th.1899 (Aged 65) at Bo’ness Harbour (Drowning), master of
      the “Jane & Isabella”

      (Death Certificate : 663/1 (47))

      ALEXANDER STEPHEN

      Married : Mary Alexander Duncan, daughter of Alexander Duncan & ????
      Mackie

      Died : July 26th.1844 (Lost at Sea) (Owner & Master of the “Rambler”)

      ALEXANDER STEWART (or STUART)

      (The Times of May 18th.1852 reported that the Joseph Green was lost at
      Greenland on March 20th. While taking the ice during a North East gale
      and that the Master and three crewmen were drowned)

      Born : c1800 in Banff

      Died : Drowned at Greenland on March 19th.1852 (Aged 52) (M.I. Old
      Cemetery)

      “The Rambler (Stephen) from Konigsburg to London was abandoned in a
      sinking state 26th.Ult. – Crew,

      except master saved.” (Aberdeen Journal - September 11th.1844)

      JAMES TAYLOR

      Drowned at sea when in command of the “Nerbudda” of London. It had just
      sailed from Cardiff with a cargo of coal but ws lost in a storm.
      Captain Taylor was standing in for Captain Calder who was on holiday.
      William King, also from Peterhead, was carpenter on the “Nerbudda”.

      Born : c1828

      Died : Drowned at Sea October 15th.1886 (Aged 58) (M.I. Constitution
      St.Cemetery)

      ROBERT TAYLOR

      Died : January 14th.1834 (Aged 33) at Port-Au-Prince

      ALEXANDER DOULL VOLUM

      Son of William Volum Senior. Lost with twelve crew members off the
      Waratah.

      Born : May 9th.1810, son of William Volum & Christian Youngson

      Died : February 25th. 1848. Drowned off Ushant from the “Waratah”

      ROBERT VOLUM

      Son of William Volum Senior, washed overboard from the “Agostina” on a
      passage from Launceston to London in 1851.

      Born : April 18th.1815, son of William Volum & Christian Youngson

      Died : February 25th.1851. Lost at sea from the “Agostina” on passage
      from Launceston to London

      JOHN WEIR

      Born : c1840 in Port Gordon

      Died : March 8th.1878 at Sea, Master of the “Progress” (Vessel Lost)
      (Residence : 18 James Street, Phd)

    • PHMorrison
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2010
        Hi Alex,

        The Alexander Morrison on this list is the youngest son of my GGG
        Grandfather, Thomas Morrison, and Elizabeth Walker. I guess his vessel was
        named after his mother¹s family.

        My GG Grandfather, Robert Morrison, was the next brother up, only 2 years
        older. He went on into the maritime world too, becoming an officer on the
        Cunard line; he too died at sea, but at the age of 54, while crossing the
        Atlantic on the SS Epurnia.

        Seamen and being lost at sea was not rare in my family ­ my GG Grandfather¹s
        eldest son, also Robert Morrison, was lost at sea in 1881. He was an
        apprentice aboard the Eurynome when it was lost at sea on 19 May 1881 - all
        crew were supposed drowned. The Eurynome was a 210 foot, 1163 ton, full
        rigged ship, on a voyage from Liverpool to Australia, and arrived in
        Victoria in March 1881, with 13 passengers on board. With wheat loaded at
        Melbourne and Geelong, she left for Falmouth, England, on 19 May 1881 and
        was not seen again. She is believed to have foundered at sea with all
        hands lost.

        I had not had these details about Alexander before, so thankyou. If there
        is anything else on this chap, or family, it would be greatly welcomed.

        Regards,

        Philip Morrison