RE: [Peterhead] Re: Losses of Seamen and Fishermen from Peterhead

  • Elisabeth Wilson
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 9, 2010
      Also not sure if this really fits the study, but my great great
      grandfather William Gordon died as a result of being crushed on the
      slip at Montrose when he went to see a boat he and his brother in law
      owned being serviced. This ship was the Nellie, but I don't know if
      it was involved in the accident - he was crushed between two ships
      when one slipped off the slips, and died of pneumonia back in
      Peterhead on 24 November 1864.

      The loss of life at sea and in associated accidents must have been
      quite terrible. I have been told by a friend who is in his early 70s
      that when he went to Peterhead for a holiday in the early 1950s, the
      front three rows of the Brethren meeting on the Sunday morning were
      widows in black. In the family (not related to me) with whom I have
      stayed twice, the father and brother of the husband had both been
      lost at sea - one was swept overboard, not sure of the other.

      Best wishes for your study,
      Elisabeth

      Elisabeth Wilson
      Lenah Valley, Tasmania
      SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
      (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
    • v11buk
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 10, 2010
        Hi Alison

        Some more information for you that might be of help -
        One of my 2x grt uncles, George WATT (1824-1883) was a seaman and worked on the whaling boats out of Peterhead. For some time he was a Spectioneer (a senior harpooner and officer in charge of directing the cutting of the blubber from the whale).

        In 1848, whilst returning across the Atlantic on the whaler "Hannibal", under the command of Captain Lowrie, the ship was driven on to the coast of Norway. Every life was lost, except for one ….. my ancestor George WATT .
        I have information on George, plus some background information and newspaper articles from the Aberdeen Herald and The Scotsman (May 1848) which give accounts of the tragedy.

        Just let me know if I can be of any help.
        Regards
        Viv
      • Alison Kennedy
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 10, 2010
          Everyone

          I would like to say a big thank you to everyone, too many for me to thank individually, over the last few days, who have given me information and suggestions following my appeal for help.

          Many thanks for taking the time to share your information, some of which must have taken some time to prepare.

          I haven't had time yet to digest all the information but will endeavour to do so over the next couple of weeks.  If I find any information on any of the seamen or fishermen during my research, whose losses have been suggested, then I will happily forward this information on to those involved.  I'm sure that this will give me a huge hand with what I have in mind to write about.

          Once again many, many, thanks.

          Alison

        • George
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 21, 2010
            Fit like Alison - here's a late entry for you.Although slightly outside your timescale "1796"It must be one of the earliest recorded Peterhead fishing vessel losses recorded in the newspapers. Taken from the Aberdeen Journal of 19th December 1796.Two vessels lost(unfortunately not named),10 men lost leaving 8 widows and 35 children and some aged dependant parents!As my typing is not the fastest have posted the photocopy in files under Andrew Duncan Aberdeen Journals Death 1796.

            Rgds George Duncan
          • Alison Kennedy
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 22, 2010
              George

              Thanks for the information.  Although slightly outwith my intended timescale I'm looking at possibly referring to other major shipping losses which occurred (I've got to stretch dissertation somehow!) so I may well include this one as being one of the earliest known about.

              Regards

              Alison