Re: [Peterhead] Re: Losses of Seamen and Fishermen from Peterhead

  • William Leslie
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
      Hello Folks;
      My brother just sent me this UTube video from a cousin in Peterhead.
      It shows some of our ancestors at work in Peterhead.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYfkk8bSuyM
      Regards
      William

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
        Hi Alison
        I have a relative, William Boyd, master and commander of the Brig "Mary Grey" who was drowned in the Hooghly River near Calcutta in 1842. This might be outside your guidlines, but if you would like more details please get in touch.
        Cheers
        Margaret

      • Elisabeth Wilson
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 9, 2010
          Also not sure if this really fits the study, but my great great
          grandfather William Gordon died as a result of being crushed on the
          slip at Montrose when he went to see a boat he and his brother in law
          owned being serviced. This ship was the Nellie, but I don't know if
          it was involved in the accident - he was crushed between two ships
          when one slipped off the slips, and died of pneumonia back in
          Peterhead on 24 November 1864.

          The loss of life at sea and in associated accidents must have been
          quite terrible. I have been told by a friend who is in his early 70s
          that when he went to Peterhead for a holiday in the early 1950s, the
          front three rows of the Brethren meeting on the Sunday morning were
          widows in black. In the family (not related to me) with whom I have
          stayed twice, the father and brother of the husband had both been
          lost at sea - one was swept overboard, not sure of the other.

          Best wishes for your study,
          Elisabeth

          Elisabeth Wilson
          Lenah Valley, Tasmania
          SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
          (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
        • v11buk
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 10, 2010
            Hi Alison

            Some more information for you that might be of help -
            One of my 2x grt uncles, George WATT (1824-1883) was a seaman and worked on the whaling boats out of Peterhead. For some time he was a Spectioneer (a senior harpooner and officer in charge of directing the cutting of the blubber from the whale).

            In 1848, whilst returning across the Atlantic on the whaler "Hannibal", under the command of Captain Lowrie, the ship was driven on to the coast of Norway. Every life was lost, except for one ….. my ancestor George WATT .
            I have information on George, plus some background information and newspaper articles from the Aberdeen Herald and The Scotsman (May 1848) which give accounts of the tragedy.

            Just let me know if I can be of any help.
            Regards
            Viv
          • Alison Kennedy
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 10, 2010
              Everyone

              I would like to say a big thank you to everyone, too many for me to thank individually, over the last few days, who have given me information and suggestions following my appeal for help.

              Many thanks for taking the time to share your information, some of which must have taken some time to prepare.

              I haven't had time yet to digest all the information but will endeavour to do so over the next couple of weeks.  If I find any information on any of the seamen or fishermen during my research, whose losses have been suggested, then I will happily forward this information on to those involved.  I'm sure that this will give me a huge hand with what I have in mind to write about.

              Once again many, many, thanks.

              Alison

            • George
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 21, 2010
                Fit like Alison - here's a late entry for you.Although slightly outside your timescale "1796"It must be one of the earliest recorded Peterhead fishing vessel losses recorded in the newspapers. Taken from the Aberdeen Journal of 19th December 1796.Two vessels lost(unfortunately not named),10 men lost leaving 8 widows and 35 children and some aged dependant parents!As my typing is not the fastest have posted the photocopy in files under Andrew Duncan Aberdeen Journals Death 1796.

                Rgds George Duncan
              • Alison Kennedy
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 22, 2010
                  George

                  Thanks for the information.  Although slightly outwith my intended timescale I'm looking at possibly referring to other major shipping losses which occurred (I've got to stretch dissertation somehow!) so I may well include this one as being one of the earliest known about.

                  Regards

                  Alison