Re: Losses of Seamen and Fishermen from Peterhead

  • scotnel4
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

      > The Peterhead list has been a bit quiet lately so I'm hoping that there may be someone still out there who may be able to assist me.
      >
      > As part of a University course which I am currently undertaking I need to write dissertation, of approx 8,000 words, before the end of April 2010.  The subject which I would like to write about, if I can gather enough information, is the loss at sea, by death or drowning, of either seamen or fishermen, singularly or crews of boats, who came from Peterhead or the surrounding area (north as far as St Fergus, west as far as Longside, and as far south as Cruden).
      >
      > I'm thinking of a timescale, probably of 10 years, sometime within the 19th century, but, until I see how much information I can acquire, I haven't decided yet made a final decision on which decade that this will be.
      >
      > If anyone has any information which they think may be able to assist then I would be grateful if they could contact me - either through the Peterhead list (where others may see your connection) or off-line.   Often these deaths were not officially registered and if the only information which you have is a name and approx date and from Peterhead area then that's fine - I'll see if I can do the donkey work of researching the death if necessary.
      >
      > Many thanks to all in advance.
      >
      > Alison

      Hello Alison,

      I don't know if this is the kind of thing you are looking for but I have never been able to find the death of a George Simpson Murray of Peterhead. He was a seaman and I assume whaler.

      His wife had a child in 1866 so I have to assume he died 1865/1866.

      Regards,
      Annette
    • Margie
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
        Alison,

        I have the extracts from both the Peterhead Sentinel and Buchan Observer
        of 1876 about the death at sea of Andrew Cow from Burnhaven -

        Margie

      • Henderson, Roy
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
          Not sure if this would be of any interest Alison, but one of my relatives Edward Angus was lost at sea, aged 24, on a voyage to New Zealand in 1867. Edward was Second Officer on the Warwick and was swept overboard on 22nd March 1867. His name is shown on a family tombstone in St Peters Kirkyard.

          Regards,

          Roy

[...]

          ===============================
          CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

          This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed herein.
          If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others.
          Also please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.
          The sender totally disclaims, and will not accept, any responsibility or liability for the unauthorized use,
          or the consequences of any unauthorized use, of this communication or message.

        • William Leslie
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
            Hello Folks;
            My brother just sent me this UTube video from a cousin in Peterhead.
            It shows some of our ancestors at work in Peterhead.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYfkk8bSuyM
            Regards
            William

            I have the extracts from both the Peterhead Sentinel and Buchan Observer
            of 1876 about the death at sea of Andrew Cow from Burnhaven -

            Margie

          • Margaret Hector
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
              Hi Alison
              I have a relative, William Boyd, master and commander of the Brig "Mary Grey" who was drowned in the Hooghly River near Calcutta in 1842. This might be outside your guidlines, but if you would like more details please get in touch.
              Cheers
              Margaret

            • Elisabeth Wilson
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 9, 2010
                Also not sure if this really fits the study, but my great great
                grandfather William Gordon died as a result of being crushed on the
                slip at Montrose when he went to see a boat he and his brother in law
                owned being serviced. This ship was the Nellie, but I don't know if
                it was involved in the accident - he was crushed between two ships
                when one slipped off the slips, and died of pneumonia back in
                Peterhead on 24 November 1864.

                The loss of life at sea and in associated accidents must have been
                quite terrible. I have been told by a friend who is in his early 70s
                that when he went to Peterhead for a holiday in the early 1950s, the
                front three rows of the Brethren meeting on the Sunday morning were
                widows in black. In the family (not related to me) with whom I have
                stayed twice, the father and brother of the husband had both been
                lost at sea - one was swept overboard, not sure of the other.

                Best wishes for your study,
                Elisabeth

                Elisabeth Wilson
                Lenah Valley, Tasmania
                SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
                (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
              • v11buk
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 10, 2010
                  Hi Alison

                  Some more information for you that might be of help -
                  One of my 2x grt uncles, George WATT (1824-1883) was a seaman and worked on the whaling boats out of Peterhead. For some time he was a Spectioneer (a senior harpooner and officer in charge of directing the cutting of the blubber from the whale).

                  In 1848, whilst returning across the Atlantic on the whaler "Hannibal", under the command of Captain Lowrie, the ship was driven on to the coast of Norway. Every life was lost, except for one ….. my ancestor George WATT .
                  I have information on George, plus some background information and newspaper articles from the Aberdeen Herald and The Scotsman (May 1848) which give accounts of the tragedy.

                  Just let me know if I can be of any help.
                  Regards
                  Viv
                • Alison Kennedy
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 10, 2010
                    Everyone

                    I would like to say a big thank you to everyone, too many for me to thank individually, over the last few days, who have given me information and suggestions following my appeal for help.

                    Many thanks for taking the time to share your information, some of which must have taken some time to prepare.

                    I haven't had time yet to digest all the information but will endeavour to do so over the next couple of weeks.  If I find any information on any of the seamen or fishermen during my research, whose losses have been suggested, then I will happily forward this information on to those involved.  I'm sure that this will give me a huge hand with what I have in mind to write about.

                    Once again many, many, thanks.

                    Alison

                  • George
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 21, 2010
                      Fit like Alison - here's a late entry for you.Although slightly outside your timescale "1796"It must be one of the earliest recorded Peterhead fishing vessel losses recorded in the newspapers. Taken from the Aberdeen Journal of 19th December 1796.Two vessels lost(unfortunately not named),10 men lost leaving 8 widows and 35 children and some aged dependant parents!As my typing is not the fastest have posted the photocopy in files under Andrew Duncan Aberdeen Journals Death 1796.

                      Rgds George Duncan
                    • Alison Kennedy
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 22, 2010
                        George

                        Thanks for the information.  Although slightly outwith my intended timescale I'm looking at possibly referring to other major shipping losses which occurred (I've got to stretch dissertation somehow!) so I may well include this one as being one of the earliest known about.

                        Regards

                        Alison