Re: [Peterhead] Re: Losses of Seamen and Fishermen from Peterhead

  • Alison Kennedy
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
      Malcolm

      Thanks very much for your suggestion - agree that this sounds like a good idea and will check article out asap.

      Alison

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
        Hi Mary

        Thanks very much for taking the time to forward the article.  I have done some background work already but sometimes events took place which didn't hit the weekly newspapers possibly due to lack of space or because the event was old news by the time of the next edition.  It's also very difficult to read the close print in the old newspapers and I thought someone might have some information which I had missed or give me some pointers of where else to look.

        Regards.

        Alison

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

          > The Peterhead list has been a bit quiet lately so I'm hoping that there may be someone still out there who may be able to assist me.
          >
          > As part of a University course which I am currently undertaking I need to write dissertation, of approx 8,000 words, before the end of April 2010.  The subject which I would like to write about, if I can gather enough information, is the loss at sea, by death or drowning, of either seamen or fishermen, singularly or crews of boats, who came from Peterhead or the surrounding area (north as far as St Fergus, west as far as Longside, and as far south as Cruden).
          >
          > I'm thinking of a timescale, probably of 10 years, sometime within the 19th century, but, until I see how much information I can acquire, I haven't decided yet made a final decision on which decade that this will be.
          >
          > If anyone has any information which they think may be able to assist then I would be grateful if they could contact me - either through the Peterhead list (where others may see your connection) or off-line.   Often these deaths were not officially registered and if the only information which you have is a name and approx date and from Peterhead area then that's fine - I'll see if I can do the donkey work of researching the death if necessary.
          >
          > Many thanks to all in advance.
          >
          > Alison

          Hello Alison,

          I don't know if this is the kind of thing you are looking for but I have never been able to find the death of a George Simpson Murray of Peterhead. He was a seaman and I assume whaler.

          His wife had a child in 1866 so I have to assume he died 1865/1866.

          Regards,
          Annette
        • Margie
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
            Alison,

            I have the extracts from both the Peterhead Sentinel and Buchan Observer
            of 1876 about the death at sea of Andrew Cow from Burnhaven -

            Margie

          • Henderson, Roy
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
              Not sure if this would be of any interest Alison, but one of my relatives Edward Angus was lost at sea, aged 24, on a voyage to New Zealand in 1867. Edward was Second Officer on the Warwick and was swept overboard on 22nd March 1867. His name is shown on a family tombstone in St Peters Kirkyard.

              Regards,

              Roy

[...]

              ===============================
              CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

              This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed herein.
              If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others.
              Also please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.
              The sender totally disclaims, and will not accept, any responsibility or liability for the unauthorized use,
              or the consequences of any unauthorized use, of this communication or message.

            • William Leslie
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                Hello Folks;
                My brother just sent me this UTube video from a cousin in Peterhead.
                It shows some of our ancestors at work in Peterhead.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYfkk8bSuyM
                Regards
                William

                I have the extracts from both the Peterhead Sentinel and Buchan Observer
                of 1876 about the death at sea of Andrew Cow from Burnhaven -

                Margie

              • Margaret Hector
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                  Hi Alison
                  I have a relative, William Boyd, master and commander of the Brig "Mary Grey" who was drowned in the Hooghly River near Calcutta in 1842. This might be outside your guidlines, but if you would like more details please get in touch.
                  Cheers
                  Margaret

                • Elisabeth Wilson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 9, 2010
                    Also not sure if this really fits the study, but my great great
                    grandfather William Gordon died as a result of being crushed on the
                    slip at Montrose when he went to see a boat he and his brother in law
                    owned being serviced. This ship was the Nellie, but I don't know if
                    it was involved in the accident - he was crushed between two ships
                    when one slipped off the slips, and died of pneumonia back in
                    Peterhead on 24 November 1864.

                    The loss of life at sea and in associated accidents must have been
                    quite terrible. I have been told by a friend who is in his early 70s
                    that when he went to Peterhead for a holiday in the early 1950s, the
                    front three rows of the Brethren meeting on the Sunday morning were
                    widows in black. In the family (not related to me) with whom I have
                    stayed twice, the father and brother of the husband had both been
                    lost at sea - one was swept overboard, not sure of the other.

                    Best wishes for your study,
                    Elisabeth

                    Elisabeth Wilson
                    Lenah Valley, Tasmania
                    SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
                    (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
                  • v11buk
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 10, 2010
                      Hi Alison

                      Some more information for you that might be of help -
                      One of my 2x grt uncles, George WATT (1824-1883) was a seaman and worked on the whaling boats out of Peterhead. For some time he was a Spectioneer (a senior harpooner and officer in charge of directing the cutting of the blubber from the whale).

                      In 1848, whilst returning across the Atlantic on the whaler "Hannibal", under the command of Captain Lowrie, the ship was driven on to the coast of Norway. Every life was lost, except for one ….. my ancestor George WATT .
                      I have information on George, plus some background information and newspaper articles from the Aberdeen Herald and The Scotsman (May 1848) which give accounts of the tragedy.

                      Just let me know if I can be of any help.
                      Regards
                      Viv
                    • Alison Kennedy
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 10, 2010
                        Everyone

                        I would like to say a big thank you to everyone, too many for me to thank individually, over the last few days, who have given me information and suggestions following my appeal for help.

                        Many thanks for taking the time to share your information, some of which must have taken some time to prepare.

                        I haven't had time yet to digest all the information but will endeavour to do so over the next couple of weeks.  If I find any information on any of the seamen or fishermen during my research, whose losses have been suggested, then I will happily forward this information on to those involved.  I'm sure that this will give me a huge hand with what I have in mind to write about.

                        Once again many, many, thanks.

                        Alison

                      • George
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 21, 2010
                          Fit like Alison - here's a late entry for you.Although slightly outside your timescale "1796"It must be one of the earliest recorded Peterhead fishing vessel losses recorded in the newspapers. Taken from the Aberdeen Journal of 19th December 1796.Two vessels lost(unfortunately not named),10 men lost leaving 8 widows and 35 children and some aged dependant parents!As my typing is not the fastest have posted the photocopy in files under Andrew Duncan Aberdeen Journals Death 1796.

                          Rgds George Duncan
                        • Alison Kennedy
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 22, 2010
                            George

                            Thanks for the information.  Although slightly outwith my intended timescale I'm looking at possibly referring to other major shipping losses which occurred (I've got to stretch dissertation somehow!) so I may well include this one as being one of the earliest known about.

                            Regards

                            Alison