Re: [Peterhead] Re: Losses of Seamen and Fishermen from Peterhead

  • malcolm.simpson@ntlworld.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
      Hi Alison,
      Suggest you have a look at the Peterhead Sentinel dated 31st.January 1862.There you will find the statistics of the Northern Fisheries showing all the whaling vessels from Peterhead from 1804 to 1861.Looking down the lists you will find all the vessels which were lost.This should give you a good starting point.
      Good luck in your quest.Malcolm Simpson.
      ---- Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:
      > The Peterhead list has been a bit quiet lately so I'm hoping that there may be someone still out there who may be able to assist me.
      >
      > As part of a University course which I am currently undertaking I need to write dissertation, of approx 8,000 words, before the end of April 2010.  The subject which I would like to write about, if I can gather enough information, is the loss at sea, by death or drowning, of either seamen or fishermen, singularly or crews of boats, who came from Peterhead or the surrounding area (north as far as St Fergus, west as far as Longside, and as far south as Cruden).
      >
      > I'm thinking of a timescale, probably of 10 years, sometime within the 19th century, but, until I see how much information I can acquire, I haven't decided yet made a final decision on which decade that this will be.
      >
      > If anyone has any information which they think may be able to assist then I would be grateful if they could contact me - either through the Peterhead list (where others may see your connection) or off-line.   Often these deaths were not officially registered and if the only information which you have is a name and approx date and from Peterhead area then that's fine - I'll see if I can do the donkey work of researching the death if necessary.
      >
      > Many thanks to all in advance.
      >
      > Alison

    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
        Hi Alison,

        You might also be interested in the following, from the East Aberdeenshire Observer of Friday May 11, 1877:

        Melancholy Boat Accident � Three Lives Lost � A melancholy boat accident, resulting in the loss of three lives, occurred on Monday afternoon. The arrival of one or two vessels at Peterhead were expected that day, and in order to get an earlier view of them as they approached from the South, Matthew Nicol, pilot; William Duncan, seaman; and John Suttar Strachan, son of Geo. Strachan, master of the steam tug Pride o� Scotland, proceeded in a boat to Boddam. Having remained there for a short time and taken refreshments they again went to sea to pilot any vessel to the harbour which might require their services. They were never again seen alive, and in the evening a Burnhaven crew who had been at the haddock fishing found the boat, in which the unfortunate men had sailed, lying on its broadside and the occupants nowhere to be seen. The boat was towed into Boddam. It is supposed that it had been upset by a sudden squall as when found the sail was set and the sheet fast. Several boats have since been out in the vicinity where it is supposed that the boat has been swamped, but none of the bodies have yet been seen, and there can be no doubt that the tide has carried them southwards.
        Matthew Nicol, who was 66 years of age, leaves a wife and nine of a family, most of whom are grown up. He was a native of Berwick, but for many years was master and part owner of several trading vessels, and latterly he owned a herring curing establishment in Peterhead. William Duncan, who was 58 years of age, was a seaman, and for many years sailed in the schooner Jane of Peterhead. He leaves a wife and four of a family. Strachan used to sail with his father, but on Monday he chanced to stop on shore and by accident accompanied Nicol and Duncan into the boat to Boddam. Much sympathy is felt for the relations of the drowned men.

        There is also a report of the same incident in the Peterhead Sentinel of Wednesday May 9 1877, which includes the additional information: "it is thought that it [the capsize] took place about 150 yards from the Skerrie�.

        I suggest that you pick a decade, and go through the back issues of the local newspapers and see what you can find. I'm sure you will get plenty of material. Good luck with the project.

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...

      • Alison Kennedy
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
          Steve - thanks for the information regarding the Alert.  I was aware of this article, but I had forgotten all about the letter from William Nicol to his wife Helen which adds a bit of flesh to the disaster, and which I will consider using. Many thanks.  Alison

          ________________________________

          The Aberdeen Journal, Wednesday, October 9, 1861

          THE "ALERT" OF PETERHEAD - SUFFERINGS OF THE CREW - The Sentinel says that a
          number of rumours are flying about town with reference to the conduct at the
          ice of Mr Forbes Milne, the nominal captain of the vessel - charges of
          cruelty, &c, being flatly and broadly brought against him, with what amount
          of authority or truthfulness it is impossible for us to say. However, the
          greater part of the complications in the melancholy matter seem to have
          arisen from the fact of his having been placed on board of the vessel as
          actual and practical Captain, while he neither appeared in the books of the
          Custom House in that capacity, nor possessed a certificate entitling him to
          hold that office. With regard to the charges brought against Mr Milne by the
          crew, we forbear alluding to them until the matter be properly and fully
          investigated by the authorities. The Alert left Peterhead for the Straits on
          the 18th May, 1860, and sighted the ice on June 8. On July 27, a boat was
          capsized following a fish, and two of the crew, Burnett and Mitchell, were
          never seen after being pitched out of the boat. On August 12, five boats
          chased and kept in a number of white whales on a shoal till the tide
          receded. 111 of them were killed. On October 25, a number of the men were
          ill, and only a boat's crew out of the whole ship's company were able to
          "flinch" a fish that was caught, which could not be done for a few days in
          consequence of the severity of the weather. On November 3, the Alert bore up
          for home with a northerly wind, but after several endeavours, could not get
          out of the Gulf. On the 25th she was driven up into a bay about 20 miles
          equi-distant from Niatlik and New Boyes stations. At this place she
          wintered. Serious misunderstandings are said to have taken place between Mr
          Milne and the crew on the score of provisions &c. Between the 11th November,
          1860, and 31st July 1861, other eight men died. Fuel ran short, and proper
          food, even when it could be had, could not be properly cooked. Sometimes a
          couple of days' allowance of beef would be served out, and then for some
          weeks no more would be allowed. The crew had little or any sugar (so
          essential in these regions) for the whole of this time. The bread got done,
          and flour and Indian meal (got from the American ships) was served out as
          food; but in consequence of the scarcity of fuel, it could not be rendered
          properly available. For some time a number of the crew left the ship,
          existing by what they could get at the stations and from other ships. Seals
          flesh, whale skins, blubber, &c., had to be eaten on board the ship. Mr
          Milne, however, remained all along in the vessel - for some time alone, with
          the exception of a couple of boys, the rest of the crew being taken away by
          Captain Simpson of the "Union," and Mr Thompson, manager of the Aberdeen
          Artic Company at Kickarton, as they were all dangerously ill at the time.
          The most deaths occurred in the commencement of the thaw, the cases being
          scurvy, exhaustion, and exposure to the weather - none of the crew being
          prepared with the necessary clothing or anything else for an Artic winter.
          On the 23d August of this year, when the "Alert" was preparing to proceed
          home, on the representation of the crew, and investigation into the
          differences between Mr Milne and them was held on board the "Artic" of
          Aberdeen - Captain Reid of the "Artic," Captain Simpson of the "Union," and
          Captain Mackinnon of the "Alibi," acting as judges in the matter. The result
          of their deliberations was that they decided on displacing Mr Forbes Milne
          from his post as Captain, filling his place by Mr Taylor the mate. Mr
          Robertson of the "Alibi" was then obtained to act as mate. Matters now went
          on more smoothly, and a full supply of provisions having been obtained from
          the depots of the Aberdeen Artic Company, the vessel bore up for home
          immediately, and arrived here on Tuesday forenoon (as stated in our last).
          The names of the men dead are - John Mitchell, New Deer, and William
          Bennett, Strichen, drowned by the upsetting of a boat, 27th July 1860; John
          Walker, Peterhead, 11th November 1860; John McKenzie, Portknockie, 13th
          December 1860; William McKenzie, Peterhead, 24th April 1861; Peter Campbell,
          Sutherlandshire, 30th May; Alex. Pickard, Longside, 3d June; Robert Milne,
          carpenter, Peterhead, 25th June; William Nicol, Peterhead, 31st July. The
          "Alert" brings intelligence of the loss of the "Union" of this port. She
          sank at her station in the month of May, but her cargo, amounting to some 25
          or 30 tons of oil, and her casks, do, have been saved. Her men were living
          at their station-houses, and were all saved.
          William Nicol, was among those who died on that expedition, and it's great
          to have some
          more information. William died of rheumatism and scurvy at Kekerten Island
          in the Cumberland Sound. His death was entered in the Marine Register and
          later transcribed into the Peterhead register.

          It would seem that the Alert had not planned to spend the winter in the
          Arctic, which might explain the lack of appropriate clothing and adequate
          provisions. If John Walker was the Ship Master, how did it come about that
          Forbes Milne is described as "nominal captain" and later in the article as
          "actual and practical captain". I note that John Walker died on 11November
          1860, and, except for the two who drowned when a boat capsized, all the
          other deaths came after that. I wonder if Forbes Milne took over command of
          the vessel after the death of John Walker? There was a Forbes Milne born in
          Peterhead in 1830. Could this be the one? If so, he was the brother of
          William Nicol's wife Helen.

          Kekerten Island is referred to in the article as "Kickarton". It was the
          location of a Scottish whaling station in the 1850s and 1860s. The site is
          now part of a Canadian Historic Site and National Park. There is a photo of
          the whaling station at:
          http://www.pangnirtunghotel.com/pangnirtung-hikes-cumberland-sound.htm

        • Alison Kennedy
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
            Malcolm

            Thanks very much for your suggestion - agree that this sounds like a good idea and will check article out asap.

            Alison

            ________________________________

            ---- Alison Kennedy wrote:

            > The Peterhead list has been a bit quiet lately so I'm hoping that there may be someone still out there who may be able to assist me.
            >
            > As part of a University course which I am currently undertaking I need to write dissertation, of approx 8,000 words, before the end of April 2010.  The subject which I would like to write about, if I can gather enough information, is the loss at sea, by death or drowning, of either seamen or fishermen, singularly or crews of boats, who came from Peterhead or the surrounding area (north as far as St Fergus, west as far as Longside, and as far south as Cruden).
            >
            > I'm thinking of a timescale, probably of 10 years, sometime within the 19th century, but, until I see how much information I can acquire, I haven't decided yet made a final decision on which decade that this will be.
            >
            > If anyone has any information which they think may be able to assist then I would be grateful if they could contact me - either through the Peterhead list (where others may see your connection) or off-line.   Often these deaths were not officially registered and if the only information which you have is a name and approx date and from Peterhead area then that's fine - I'll see if I can do the donkey work of researching the death if necessary.
            >
            > Many thanks to all in advance.
            >
            > Alison

          • Alison Kennedy
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
              Hi Mary

              Thanks very much for taking the time to forward the article.  I have done some background work already but sometimes events took place which didn't hit the weekly newspapers possibly due to lack of space or because the event was old news by the time of the next edition.  It's also very difficult to read the close print in the old newspapers and I thought someone might have some information which I had missed or give me some pointers of where else to look.

              Regards.

              Alison

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

                > The Peterhead list has been a bit quiet lately so I'm hoping that there may be someone still out there who may be able to assist me.
                >
                > As part of a University course which I am currently undertaking I need to write dissertation, of approx 8,000 words, before the end of April 2010.  The subject which I would like to write about, if I can gather enough information, is the loss at sea, by death or drowning, of either seamen or fishermen, singularly or crews of boats, who came from Peterhead or the surrounding area (north as far as St Fergus, west as far as Longside, and as far south as Cruden).
                >
                > I'm thinking of a timescale, probably of 10 years, sometime within the 19th century, but, until I see how much information I can acquire, I haven't decided yet made a final decision on which decade that this will be.
                >
                > If anyone has any information which they think may be able to assist then I would be grateful if they could contact me - either through the Peterhead list (where others may see your connection) or off-line.   Often these deaths were not officially registered and if the only information which you have is a name and approx date and from Peterhead area then that's fine - I'll see if I can do the donkey work of researching the death if necessary.
                >
                > Many thanks to all in advance.
                >
                > Alison

                Hello Alison,

                I don't know if this is the kind of thing you are looking for but I have never been able to find the death of a George Simpson Murray of Peterhead. He was a seaman and I assume whaler.

                His wife had a child in 1866 so I have to assume he died 1865/1866.

                Regards,
                Annette
              • Margie
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                  Alison,

                  I have the extracts from both the Peterhead Sentinel and Buchan Observer
                  of 1876 about the death at sea of Andrew Cow from Burnhaven -

                  Margie

                • Henderson, Roy
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                    Not sure if this would be of any interest Alison, but one of my relatives Edward Angus was lost at sea, aged 24, on a voyage to New Zealand in 1867. Edward was Second Officer on the Warwick and was swept overboard on 22nd March 1867. His name is shown on a family tombstone in St Peters Kirkyard.

                    Regards,

                    Roy

[...]

                    ===============================
                    CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

                    This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed herein.
                    If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others.
                    Also please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.
                    The sender totally disclaims, and will not accept, any responsibility or liability for the unauthorized use,
                    or the consequences of any unauthorized use, of this communication or message.

                  • William Leslie
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                      Hello Folks;
                      My brother just sent me this UTube video from a cousin in Peterhead.
                      It shows some of our ancestors at work in Peterhead.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYfkk8bSuyM
                      Regards
                      William

                      I have the extracts from both the Peterhead Sentinel and Buchan Observer
                      of 1876 about the death at sea of Andrew Cow from Burnhaven -

                      Margie

                    • Margaret Hector
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                        Hi Alison
                        I have a relative, William Boyd, master and commander of the Brig "Mary Grey" who was drowned in the Hooghly River near Calcutta in 1842. This might be outside your guidlines, but if you would like more details please get in touch.
                        Cheers
                        Margaret

                      • Elisabeth Wilson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 9, 2010
                          Also not sure if this really fits the study, but my great great
                          grandfather William Gordon died as a result of being crushed on the
                          slip at Montrose when he went to see a boat he and his brother in law
                          owned being serviced. This ship was the Nellie, but I don't know if
                          it was involved in the accident - he was crushed between two ships
                          when one slipped off the slips, and died of pneumonia back in
                          Peterhead on 24 November 1864.

                          The loss of life at sea and in associated accidents must have been
                          quite terrible. I have been told by a friend who is in his early 70s
                          that when he went to Peterhead for a holiday in the early 1950s, the
                          front three rows of the Brethren meeting on the Sunday morning were
                          widows in black. In the family (not related to me) with whom I have
                          stayed twice, the father and brother of the husband had both been
                          lost at sea - one was swept overboard, not sure of the other.

                          Best wishes for your study,
                          Elisabeth

                          Elisabeth Wilson
                          Lenah Valley, Tasmania
                          SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
                          (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
                        • v11buk
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 10, 2010
                            Hi Alison

                            Some more information for you that might be of help -
                            One of my 2x grt uncles, George WATT (1824-1883) was a seaman and worked on the whaling boats out of Peterhead. For some time he was a Spectioneer (a senior harpooner and officer in charge of directing the cutting of the blubber from the whale).

                            In 1848, whilst returning across the Atlantic on the whaler "Hannibal", under the command of Captain Lowrie, the ship was driven on to the coast of Norway. Every life was lost, except for one ….. my ancestor George WATT .
                            I have information on George, plus some background information and newspaper articles from the Aberdeen Herald and The Scotsman (May 1848) which give accounts of the tragedy.

                            Just let me know if I can be of any help.
                            Regards
                            Viv
                          • Alison Kennedy
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 10, 2010
                              Everyone

                              I would like to say a big thank you to everyone, too many for me to thank individually, over the last few days, who have given me information and suggestions following my appeal for help.

                              Many thanks for taking the time to share your information, some of which must have taken some time to prepare.

                              I haven't had time yet to digest all the information but will endeavour to do so over the next couple of weeks.  If I find any information on any of the seamen or fishermen during my research, whose losses have been suggested, then I will happily forward this information on to those involved.  I'm sure that this will give me a huge hand with what I have in mind to write about.

                              Once again many, many, thanks.

                              Alison

                            • George
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 21, 2010
                                Fit like Alison - here's a late entry for you.Although slightly outside your timescale "1796"It must be one of the earliest recorded Peterhead fishing vessel losses recorded in the newspapers. Taken from the Aberdeen Journal of 19th December 1796.Two vessels lost(unfortunately not named),10 men lost leaving 8 widows and 35 children and some aged dependant parents!As my typing is not the fastest have posted the photocopy in files under Andrew Duncan Aberdeen Journals Death 1796.

                                Rgds George Duncan
                              • Alison Kennedy
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 22, 2010
                                  George

                                  Thanks for the information.  Although slightly outwith my intended timescale I'm looking at possibly referring to other major shipping losses which occurred (I've got to stretch dissertation somehow!) so I may well include this one as being one of the earliest known about.

                                  Regards

                                  Alison