Re: Losses of Seamen and Fishermen from Peterhead

  • Alison Kennedy
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
      The Peterhead list has been a bit quiet lately so I'm hoping that there may be someone still out there who may be able to assist me.

      As part of a University course which I am currently undertaking I need to write dissertation, of approx 8,000 words, before the end of April 2010.  The subject which I would like to write about, if I can gather enough information, is the loss at sea, by death or drowning, of either seamen or fishermen, singularly or crews of boats, who came from Peterhead or the surrounding area (north as far as St Fergus, west as far as Longside, and as far south as Cruden).

      I'm thinking of a timescale, probably of 10 years, sometime within the 19th century, but, until I see how much information I can acquire, I haven't decided yet made a final decision on which decade that this will be.

      If anyone has any information which they think may be able to assist then I would be grateful if they could contact me - either through the Peterhead list (where others may see your connection) or off-line.   Often these deaths were not officially registered and if the only information which you have is a name and approx date and from Peterhead area then that's fine - I'll see if I can do the donkey work of researching the death if necessary.

      Many thanks to all in advance.

      Alison

    • Stephen Hutchison
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
        Hi Alison,
        Maybe you are aware of the following story from 1861, as follows.

        Died on Kekerton Island, Cumberland Strait while wintering ashore,
        harpoonist on a whaling vessel.

        The Aberdeen Journal, Wednesday, October 9, 1861

        THE "ALERT" OF PETERHEAD - SUFFERINGS OF THE CREW - The Sentinel says that a
        number of rumours are flying about town with reference to the conduct at the
        ice of Mr Forbes Milne, the nominal captain of the vessel - charges of
        cruelty, &c, being flatly and broadly brought against him, with what amount
        of authority or truthfulness it is impossible for us to say. However, the
        greater part of the complications in the melancholy matter seem to have
        arisen from the fact of his having been placed on board of the vessel as
        actual and practical Captain, while he neither appeared in the books of the
        Custom House in that capacity, nor possessed a certificate entitling him to
        hold that office. With regard to the charges brought against Mr Milne by the
        crew, we forbear alluding to them until the matter be properly and fully
        investigated by the authorities. The Alert left Peterhead for the Straits on
        the 18th May, 1860, and sighted the ice on June 8. On July 27, a boat was
        capsized following a fish, and two of the crew, Burnett and Mitchell, were
        never seen after being pitched out of the boat. On August 12, five boats
        chased and kept in a number of white whales on a shoal till the tide
        receded. 111 of them were killed. On October 25, a number of the men were
        ill, and only a boat's crew out of the whole ship's company were able to
        "flinch" a fish that was caught, which could not be done for a few days in
        consequence of the severity of the weather. On November 3, the Alert bore up
        for home with a northerly wind, but after several endeavours, could not get
        out of the Gulf. On the 25th she was driven up into a bay about 20 miles
        equi-distant from Niatlik and New Boyes stations. At this place she
        wintered. Serious misunderstandings are said to have taken place between Mr
        Milne and the crew on the score of provisions &c. Between the 11th November,
        1860, and 31st July 1861, other eight men died. Fuel ran short, and proper
        food, even when it could be had, could not be properly cooked. Sometimes a
        couple of days' allowance of beef would be served out, and then for some
        weeks no more would be allowed. The crew had little or any sugar (so
        essential in these regions) for the whole of this time. The bread got done,
        and flour and Indian meal (got from the American ships) was served out as
        food; but in consequence of the scarcity of fuel, it could not be rendered
        properly available. For some time a number of the crew left the ship,
        existing by what they could get at the stations and from other ships. Seals
        flesh, whale skins, blubber, &c., had to be eaten on board the ship. Mr
        Milne, however, remained all along in the vessel - for some time alone, with
        the exception of a couple of boys, the rest of the crew being taken away by
        Captain Simpson of the "Union," and Mr Thompson, manager of the Aberdeen
        Artic Company at Kickarton, as they were all dangerously ill at the time.
        The most deaths occurred in the commencement of the thaw, the cases being
        scurvy, exhaustion, and exposure to the weather - none of the crew being
        prepared with the necessary clothing or anything else for an Artic winter.
        On the 23d August of this year, when the "Alert" was preparing to proceed
        home, on the representation of the crew, and investigation into the
        differences between Mr Milne and them was held on board the "Artic" of
        Aberdeen - Captain Reid of the "Artic," Captain Simpson of the "Union," and
        Captain Mackinnon of the "Alibi," acting as judges in the matter. The result
        of their deliberations was that they decided on displacing Mr Forbes Milne
        from his post as Captain, filling his place by Mr Taylor the mate. Mr
        Robertson of the "Alibi" was then obtained to act as mate. Matters now went
        on more smoothly, and a full supply of provisions having been obtained from
        the depots of the Aberdeen Artic Company, the vessel bore up for home
        immediately, and arrived here on Tuesday forenoon (as stated in our last).
        The names of the men dead are - John Mitchell, New Deer, and William
        Bennett, Strichen, drowned by the upsetting of a boat, 27th July 1860; John
        Walker, Peterhead, 11th November 1860; John McKenzie, Portknockie, 13th
        December 1860; William McKenzie, Peterhead, 24th April 1861; Peter Campbell,
        Sutherlandshire, 30th May; Alex. Pickard, Longside, 3d June; Robert Milne,
        carpenter, Peterhead, 25th June; William Nicol, Peterhead, 31st July. The
        "Alert" brings intelligence of the loss of the "Union" of this port. She
        sank at her station in the month of May, but her cargo, amounting to some 25
        or 30 tons of oil, and her casks, do, have been saved. Her men were living
        at their station-houses, and were all saved.
        William Nicol, was among those who died on that expedition, and it's great
        to have some
        more information. William died of rheumatism and scurvy at Kekerten Island
        in the Cumberland Sound. His death was entered in the Marine Register and
        later transcribed into the Peterhead register.

        It would seem that the Alert had not planned to spend the winter in the
        Arctic, which might explain the lack of appropriate clothing and adequate
        provisions. If John Walker was the Ship Master, how did it come about that
        Forbes Milne is described as "nominal captain" and later in the article as
        "actual and practical captain". I note that John Walker died on 11November
        1860, and, except for the two who drowned when a boat capsized, all the
        other deaths came after that. I wonder if Forbes Milne took over command of
        the vessel after the death of John Walker? There was a Forbes Milne born in
        Peterhead in 1830. Could this be the one? If so, he was the brother of
        William Nicol's wife Helen.

        Kekerten Island is referred to in the article as "Kickarton". It was the
        location of a Scottish whaling station in the 1850s and 1860s. The site is
        now part of a Canadian Historic Site and National Park. There is a photo of
        the whaling station at:
        http://www.pangnirtunghotel.com/pangnirtung-hikes-cumberland-sound.htm
        I have a copy of a document, a single page, source unknown, with a farewell
        letter from William Nicol to his wife Helen, and a memorial to William. My
        cousin found it among papers belonging to his father (who was also a
        seaman).
        It is typeset, so presumably came from a published book or pamphlet, and
        it's very touching.
        Here is the text:
        �Alert�, 1st June 1861.
        My Dear Helen,
        I write you these few lines to let you know in what state I penned these few
        lines. I was taken badly with rheumatism in the fall of the last year, and I
        recovered, but, in a short time after, about the New Year, it again
        relapsed, and up to this time I have been bedfast, and I feel that I am
        getting very rapidly worse, which is the reason of me writing this letter to
        let you know in what state this leaves me. I do not expect to survive many
        days from this date. But, my dear, dear Helen, give your heart entirely unto
        the Lord, and then I shall expect to see you in Heaven; for I have tried as
        much as I could, since I have been afflicted, to walk in all His statutes
        and commandments, for I have found peace with God, and am this moment
        relying on His mercy, so I shall expect to meet you in Heaven; and my dear,
        darling children-Matthew, William (,) Francis, and the other of which I know
        not the name, as far as your ability goes, bring them up in the nurture and
        admonition of the Lord, so that they may not wander so long as we have done
        �Strangers to His saving grace.� Oh! my darling, darling Helen - the only
        woman ever I have loved on earth, the dear and faithful partner of my bosom.
        I now bid you goodbye; so farewell for a time, and I shall expect to meet
        you in Heaven. God bless you and protect you, and may He, in your
        experience, prove a husband to the widow and a father to the fatherless. So
        farewell! My darling Wife and Children. I am too weak now to say any more;
        so farewell! My dear, darling, faithful partner. I shall meet you in Heaven.
        Good-bye! - From your affectionate Husband,
        WILLIAM NICOL,
        With a Sore Heart.

        In Memory of WILLIAM NICOL Late Seaman on Board the "Alert" who died on
        shore, JULY 31 1861, AGED 28 YEARS.

        Farewell! for all my sufferings are,
        And all my sorrows gone;
        I go to live upon the shore
        Where Christ shall be my home. [Item provided by Mary Barnes.]
        (See William Penny article)
        Email from malcolm.simpson@... to fiona.riddell@...
        Dear Fiona,
        Have just read your e-mail about the "Alert". My gGrandfather James Taylor
        was the Mate during that terrible voyage,the passage home being his first
        command. He was lost with all hands in the Bristol channel in the barque
        "Nerbudda"of London in a great storm 1886.
        You will find reference to this in the Peterhead Sentinel. My ggGrandfather
        George Simpson was a well known whaling master,mainly in command of the
        "Traveller" and three sons also became whaling masters, John the eldest
        being master of the "Union"involved in the "Alert" story.
        Hope this proves of some interest.
        Best wishes in your project, Malcolm Simpson.

        There is more in "The Aberdeen Journal" (from the "Sentinel") 9 Oct 1861
        ............... Captain Mr Forbes MILNE (didn't hold a ticket!). BARNETT &
        MITCHELL were pitched out of the boat when it was upset by a whale and not
        seen again July 27th 1860. A harrowing story about how the men were
        mistreated by the captain ie. not rationed properly. The names of the dead
        men:
        John MITCHELL, New Deer 27 Jul 1860
        William BURNETT, Strichen 27 Jul 1860
        John WALKER, Peterhead 11 Nov 1860
        John M'KENZIE, Portknockie 13 Dec 1860
        William M'KENZIE, Peterhead 24 Apr 1861
        Peter CAMBELL, Sutherlandshire 30 May
        Alex PICKARD, Longside 3 Jun
        Robert MILNE, carpenter, Peterhead 25 Jun
        William NICOL, Peterhead 31 Jul
        It is reported that she wintered about 20 miles equi-distant from Niatlik
        and New Boyen stations and was preparing to head home 23 Aug 1861.
        Casalguidi

        Regards Steve

      • malcolm.simpson@ntlworld.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
          Hi Alison,
          Suggest you have a look at the Peterhead Sentinel dated 31st.January 1862.There you will find the statistics of the Northern Fisheries showing all the whaling vessels from Peterhead from 1804 to 1861.Looking down the lists you will find all the vessels which were lost.This should give you a good starting point.
          Good luck in your quest.Malcolm Simpson.
          ---- Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:
          > The Peterhead list has been a bit quiet lately so I'm hoping that there may be someone still out there who may be able to assist me.
          >
          > As part of a University course which I am currently undertaking I need to write dissertation, of approx 8,000 words, before the end of April 2010.  The subject which I would like to write about, if I can gather enough information, is the loss at sea, by death or drowning, of either seamen or fishermen, singularly or crews of boats, who came from Peterhead or the surrounding area (north as far as St Fergus, west as far as Longside, and as far south as Cruden).
          >
          > I'm thinking of a timescale, probably of 10 years, sometime within the 19th century, but, until I see how much information I can acquire, I haven't decided yet made a final decision on which decade that this will be.
          >
          > If anyone has any information which they think may be able to assist then I would be grateful if they could contact me - either through the Peterhead list (where others may see your connection) or off-line.   Often these deaths were not officially registered and if the only information which you have is a name and approx date and from Peterhead area then that's fine - I'll see if I can do the donkey work of researching the death if necessary.
          >
          > Many thanks to all in advance.
          >
          > Alison

        • Mary Barnes
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
            Hi Alison,

            You might also be interested in the following, from the East Aberdeenshire Observer of Friday May 11, 1877:

            Melancholy Boat Accident � Three Lives Lost � A melancholy boat accident, resulting in the loss of three lives, occurred on Monday afternoon. The arrival of one or two vessels at Peterhead were expected that day, and in order to get an earlier view of them as they approached from the South, Matthew Nicol, pilot; William Duncan, seaman; and John Suttar Strachan, son of Geo. Strachan, master of the steam tug Pride o� Scotland, proceeded in a boat to Boddam. Having remained there for a short time and taken refreshments they again went to sea to pilot any vessel to the harbour which might require their services. They were never again seen alive, and in the evening a Burnhaven crew who had been at the haddock fishing found the boat, in which the unfortunate men had sailed, lying on its broadside and the occupants nowhere to be seen. The boat was towed into Boddam. It is supposed that it had been upset by a sudden squall as when found the sail was set and the sheet fast. Several boats have since been out in the vicinity where it is supposed that the boat has been swamped, but none of the bodies have yet been seen, and there can be no doubt that the tide has carried them southwards.
            Matthew Nicol, who was 66 years of age, leaves a wife and nine of a family, most of whom are grown up. He was a native of Berwick, but for many years was master and part owner of several trading vessels, and latterly he owned a herring curing establishment in Peterhead. William Duncan, who was 58 years of age, was a seaman, and for many years sailed in the schooner Jane of Peterhead. He leaves a wife and four of a family. Strachan used to sail with his father, but on Monday he chanced to stop on shore and by accident accompanied Nicol and Duncan into the boat to Boddam. Much sympathy is felt for the relations of the drowned men.

            There is also a report of the same incident in the Peterhead Sentinel of Wednesday May 9 1877, which includes the additional information: "it is thought that it [the capsize] took place about 150 yards from the Skerrie�.

            I suggest that you pick a decade, and go through the back issues of the local newspapers and see what you can find. I'm sure you will get plenty of material. Good luck with the project.

            Mary Barnes
            marysb@...

          • Alison Kennedy
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
              Steve - thanks for the information regarding the Alert.  I was aware of this article, but I had forgotten all about the letter from William Nicol to his wife Helen which adds a bit of flesh to the disaster, and which I will consider using. Many thanks.  Alison

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
                Malcolm

                Thanks very much for your suggestion - agree that this sounds like a good idea and will check article out asap.

                Alison

                ________________________________

                ---- Alison Kennedy wrote:

                > The Peterhead list has been a bit quiet lately so I'm hoping that there may be someone still out there who may be able to assist me.
                >
                > As part of a University course which I am currently undertaking I need to write dissertation, of approx 8,000 words, before the end of April 2010.  The subject which I would like to write about, if I can gather enough information, is the loss at sea, by death or drowning, of either seamen or fishermen, singularly or crews of boats, who came from Peterhead or the surrounding area (north as far as St Fergus, west as far as Longside, and as far south as Cruden).
                >
                > I'm thinking of a timescale, probably of 10 years, sometime within the 19th century, but, until I see how much information I can acquire, I haven't decided yet made a final decision on which decade that this will be.
                >
                > If anyone has any information which they think may be able to assist then I would be grateful if they could contact me - either through the Peterhead list (where others may see your connection) or off-line.   Often these deaths were not officially registered and if the only information which you have is a name and approx date and from Peterhead area then that's fine - I'll see if I can do the donkey work of researching the death if necessary.
                >
                > Many thanks to all in advance.
                >
                > Alison

              • Alison Kennedy
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 7, 2010
                  Hi Mary

                  Thanks very much for taking the time to forward the article.  I have done some background work already but sometimes events took place which didn't hit the weekly newspapers possibly due to lack of space or because the event was old news by the time of the next edition.  It's also very difficult to read the close print in the old newspapers and I thought someone might have some information which I had missed or give me some pointers of where else to look.

                  Regards.

                  Alison

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                    --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

                    > The Peterhead list has been a bit quiet lately so I'm hoping that there may be someone still out there who may be able to assist me.
                    >
                    > As part of a University course which I am currently undertaking I need to write dissertation, of approx 8,000 words, before the end of April 2010.  The subject which I would like to write about, if I can gather enough information, is the loss at sea, by death or drowning, of either seamen or fishermen, singularly or crews of boats, who came from Peterhead or the surrounding area (north as far as St Fergus, west as far as Longside, and as far south as Cruden).
                    >
                    > I'm thinking of a timescale, probably of 10 years, sometime within the 19th century, but, until I see how much information I can acquire, I haven't decided yet made a final decision on which decade that this will be.
                    >
                    > If anyone has any information which they think may be able to assist then I would be grateful if they could contact me - either through the Peterhead list (where others may see your connection) or off-line.   Often these deaths were not officially registered and if the only information which you have is a name and approx date and from Peterhead area then that's fine - I'll see if I can do the donkey work of researching the death if necessary.
                    >
                    > Many thanks to all in advance.
                    >
                    > Alison

                    Hello Alison,

                    I don't know if this is the kind of thing you are looking for but I have never been able to find the death of a George Simpson Murray of Peterhead. He was a seaman and I assume whaler.

                    His wife had a child in 1866 so I have to assume he died 1865/1866.

                    Regards,
                    Annette
                  • Margie
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                      Alison,

                      I have the extracts from both the Peterhead Sentinel and Buchan Observer
                      of 1876 about the death at sea of Andrew Cow from Burnhaven -

                      Margie

                    • Henderson, Roy
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                        Not sure if this would be of any interest Alison, but one of my relatives Edward Angus was lost at sea, aged 24, on a voyage to New Zealand in 1867. Edward was Second Officer on the Warwick and was swept overboard on 22nd March 1867. His name is shown on a family tombstone in St Peters Kirkyard.

                        Regards,

                        Roy

[...]

                        ===============================
                        CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

                        This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed herein.
                        If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others.
                        Also please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.
                        The sender totally disclaims, and will not accept, any responsibility or liability for the unauthorized use,
                        or the consequences of any unauthorized use, of this communication or message.

                      • William Leslie
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                          Hello Folks;
                          My brother just sent me this UTube video from a cousin in Peterhead.
                          It shows some of our ancestors at work in Peterhead.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYfkk8bSuyM
                          Regards
                          William

                          I have the extracts from both the Peterhead Sentinel and Buchan Observer
                          of 1876 about the death at sea of Andrew Cow from Burnhaven -

                          Margie

                        • Margaret Hector
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                            Hi Alison
                            I have a relative, William Boyd, master and commander of the Brig "Mary Grey" who was drowned in the Hooghly River near Calcutta in 1842. This might be outside your guidlines, but if you would like more details please get in touch.
                            Cheers
                            Margaret

                          • Elisabeth Wilson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 9, 2010
                              Also not sure if this really fits the study, but my great great
                              grandfather William Gordon died as a result of being crushed on the
                              slip at Montrose when he went to see a boat he and his brother in law
                              owned being serviced. This ship was the Nellie, but I don't know if
                              it was involved in the accident - he was crushed between two ships
                              when one slipped off the slips, and died of pneumonia back in
                              Peterhead on 24 November 1864.

                              The loss of life at sea and in associated accidents must have been
                              quite terrible. I have been told by a friend who is in his early 70s
                              that when he went to Peterhead for a holiday in the early 1950s, the
                              front three rows of the Brethren meeting on the Sunday morning were
                              widows in black. In the family (not related to me) with whom I have
                              stayed twice, the father and brother of the husband had both been
                              lost at sea - one was swept overboard, not sure of the other.

                              Best wishes for your study,
                              Elisabeth

                              Elisabeth Wilson
                              Lenah Valley, Tasmania
                              SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
                              (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
                            • v11buk
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 10, 2010
                                Hi Alison

                                Some more information for you that might be of help -
                                One of my 2x grt uncles, George WATT (1824-1883) was a seaman and worked on the whaling boats out of Peterhead. For some time he was a Spectioneer (a senior harpooner and officer in charge of directing the cutting of the blubber from the whale).

                                In 1848, whilst returning across the Atlantic on the whaler "Hannibal", under the command of Captain Lowrie, the ship was driven on to the coast of Norway. Every life was lost, except for one ….. my ancestor George WATT .
                                I have information on George, plus some background information and newspaper articles from the Aberdeen Herald and The Scotsman (May 1848) which give accounts of the tragedy.

                                Just let me know if I can be of any help.
                                Regards
                                Viv
                              • Alison Kennedy
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 10, 2010
                                  Everyone

                                  I would like to say a big thank you to everyone, too many for me to thank individually, over the last few days, who have given me information and suggestions following my appeal for help.

                                  Many thanks for taking the time to share your information, some of which must have taken some time to prepare.

                                  I haven't had time yet to digest all the information but will endeavour to do so over the next couple of weeks.  If I find any information on any of the seamen or fishermen during my research, whose losses have been suggested, then I will happily forward this information on to those involved.  I'm sure that this will give me a huge hand with what I have in mind to write about.

                                  Once again many, many, thanks.

                                  Alison

                                • George
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 21, 2010
                                    Fit like Alison - here's a late entry for you.Although slightly outside your timescale "1796"It must be one of the earliest recorded Peterhead fishing vessel losses recorded in the newspapers. Taken from the Aberdeen Journal of 19th December 1796.Two vessels lost(unfortunately not named),10 men lost leaving 8 widows and 35 children and some aged dependant parents!As my typing is not the fastest have posted the photocopy in files under Andrew Duncan Aberdeen Journals Death 1796.

                                    Rgds George Duncan
                                  • Alison Kennedy
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 22, 2010
                                      George

                                      Thanks for the information.  Although slightly outwith my intended timescale I'm looking at possibly referring to other major shipping losses which occurred (I've got to stretch dissertation somehow!) so I may well include this one as being one of the earliest known about.

                                      Regards

                                      Alison