Re: [Peterhead] George Duncan

  • ALLAN HARROP
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 20, 2009
      Hi Ross,

      My Gr Gr Grandfather was Alexander Johnstone Kinghorn c 18/5/1844 Peterhead.
      His sister was your ancestor Janet Sim Kinghorn c 26/1/1842 , who married James Duncan in 1867.
      So far I have no idea where the middle names of Sim and Johnstone came from as their father Alexander Kinghorn b Dec 1812, Old Deer, was the illegitimate son of Margaret Stephen. I have no idea who she married and who brought him up. I have the Kirk session record where she names Adam Kinghorn as his father. He fathered 3 children before he married Jane Cocker. They beautifully described this as a "trilapse of fornication"
      Alexander Johnstone Kinghorn first appears in the 1841 census in Peterhead married to Christian Middleton.
      Alexander was a widow by 1851, and married Margaret Ledingham 28/11/1852 in Peterhead.
      Does anyone out there recognise any of these names?

      Regards

      Eileen

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2009
        Eileen,

        Slightly more recent, but perhaps related:

        1) I can remember a George Ledingham from the mid-60s who was an ambulance driver. At that time I think Peterhead only had two ambulance drivers. George would have been somewhere between 40 – 60 I think when I remember him. I can remember him being a very kind man.

        2) There used to be a Miss Kinghorn who taught Latin at Peterhead Academy when I was there between 67-72.

        I am sure others on the list may be able to expand. You would probably get some pupil recollections of Miss Kinghorn from friendsreunitied.

        Roy

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 21, 2009
          Thanks so much for your reply Roy,

          I will follow up on these links. It is so much easier with unusual names, but I have hit a brick wall with Margaret Stephen. I had spent about 10 years connecting all the Kinghorn families in the NE, when I discovered that the Kinghorns had not even been a part of Alexander's life!

          Regards

          Eileen