Re: [Peterhead] Re: George Duncan

  • ross duncan
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 20, 2009
      Thank you

      Ross Duncan

      --- On Sun, 20/12/09, frantic49 <bella35@...> wrote:

      From: frantic49 <bella35@...>
      Subject: [Peterhead] Re: George Duncan
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, 20 December, 2009, 14:01

      Hi Ross,
      I just managed a quick look, but found George with the same birth date, His father was James Duncan and his mothers name was Janet Kinghorn (thats the name explained). I'm sure someone will come along with more info for you.

      Anne
      --- In Peterhead@yahoogrou ps.com, "rossduncanscot" <rossduncanscot@ ...> wrote:

      > Iam looking for information regarding George Duncan who was born in Peterhead in 25/09/1874.
      >
      > George Duncan had 9 siblings one of which was Alexander Duncan who was my great grandfather and out of all the entire family, Alexander Duncan was the only one to have married and to have had a family (or so I am lead to believe).
      >
      > But there a number of questions still remain one of which is about George Duncan. Till now I have know evidence or proof what happened to him and if he had married or indeed had a family or not. Till now I am lead to believe that I may be the only male decendent left. The other thing point of interest is the connection between the Family name of Duncan and Kinghorn

    • Anne Allan
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2009
        This would be George and his family in 1881.....

        Anne

        _1881 Census_
        Name: *George* *Duncan*
        Age: 6
        Estimated birth year: abt 1875
        Relationship: Son
        Father's Name: James
        Mother's Name: Janet
        Gender: Male
        Where born: Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
        Registration Number: 232/1
        Registration district: Peterhead
        Civil parish: Peterhead
        Town: Peterhead
        County: Aberdeenshire
        Occupation: Scholar
        ED: 16
        Household schedule number: 131
        Line: 24
        Roll: cssct1881_67
        Household Members:
        Name
        Age
        James Duncan
        <http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1881Scotland&indiv=try&h=2190851>
        43
        Janet Duncan
        <http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1881Scotland&indiv=try&h=2190852>
        40
        Isabella Duncan
        <http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1881Scotland&indiv=try&h=2190853>
        15
        Janet Duncan
        <http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1881Scotland&indiv=try&h=2190854>
        16
        Alexander Duncan
        <http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1881Scotland&indiv=try&h=2190855>
        8
        George Duncan
        <http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1881Scotland&indiv=try&h=2190856>
        6
        William Duncan
        <http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1881Scotland&indiv=try&h=2190857>
        4
        Helen Duncan
        <http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1881Scotland&indiv=try&h=2190858>
        3
        James Duncan
        <http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1881Scotland&indiv=try&h=2190859>
        10 Mo
        Mary Ann Duncan
        <http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1881Scotland&indiv=try&h=2190860>
        13

        ross duncan wrote:
        > Thank you
        >

        > Ross Duncan

      • ALLAN HARROP
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2009
          Hi Ross,

          My Gr Gr Grandfather was Alexander Johnstone Kinghorn c 18/5/1844 Peterhead.
          His sister was your ancestor Janet Sim Kinghorn c 26/1/1842 , who married James Duncan in 1867.
          So far I have no idea where the middle names of Sim and Johnstone came from as their father Alexander Kinghorn b Dec 1812, Old Deer, was the illegitimate son of Margaret Stephen. I have no idea who she married and who brought him up. I have the Kirk session record where she names Adam Kinghorn as his father. He fathered 3 children before he married Jane Cocker. They beautifully described this as a "trilapse of fornication"
          Alexander Johnstone Kinghorn first appears in the 1841 census in Peterhead married to Christian Middleton.
          Alexander was a widow by 1851, and married Margaret Ledingham 28/11/1852 in Peterhead.
          Does anyone out there recognise any of these names?

          Regards

          Eileen

          ________________________________
          Iam looking for information regarding George Duncan who was born in Peterhead in 25/09/1874.

          George Duncan had 9 siblings one of which was Alexander Duncan who was my great grandfather and out of all the entire family, Alexander Duncan was the only one to have married and to have had a family (or so I am lead to believe).

          But there a number of questions still remain one of which is about George Duncan. Till now I have know evidence or proof what happened to him and if he had married or indeed had a family or not. Till now I am lead to believe that I may be the only male decendent left. The other thing point of interest is the connection between the Family name of Duncan and Kinghorn

        • Henderson, Roy
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 20, 2009
            Eileen,

            Slightly more recent, but perhaps related:

            1) I can remember a George Ledingham from the mid-60s who was an ambulance driver. At that time I think Peterhead only had two ambulance drivers. George would have been somewhere between 40 – 60 I think when I remember him. I can remember him being a very kind man.

            2) There used to be a Miss Kinghorn who taught Latin at Peterhead Academy when I was there between 67-72.

            I am sure others on the list may be able to expand. You would probably get some pupil recollections of Miss Kinghorn from friendsreunitied.

            Roy

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 21, 2009
              Thanks so much for your reply Roy,

              I will follow up on these links. It is so much easier with unusual names, but I have hit a brick wall with Margaret Stephen. I had spent about 10 years connecting all the Kinghorn families in the NE, when I discovered that the Kinghorns had not even been a part of Alexander's life!

              Regards

              Eileen