Seaman's Tickets

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 14, 1999
      Hello Wade,
      This is asking quite a lot of you but, could you (When you get a chance) send me the details for the following seamen ? :

      COAPER WILLIAM (106349) - Actually this surname is usually COUPER. This is an ancestor in my wife's family tree.
      DUTHIE JAMES (106330)
      Geddes JOHN (106301)
      Martin ROBERT (106371) - Whaling Captain, but not sure if same family as "my" Martins
      Philips ALEXANDER (106306)
      Smith THOMAS (106386)

      Many Thanks & Kindest Regards

      Alex Ritchie
    • Alex Ritchie
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 22, 1999
        Hi Wade , A belated "Thank You" for all the Seamans Ticket Info I asked you for.
        When you get a chance, could I also get the info for :

        Alexander McPherson (106317).

        Thanks also for the John Martin info (Taurus). Precious little information on it other than his year of birth and the fact that he could write.....but that's not your fault, of course. Nevertheless it's interesting to me.

        Kindest Regards

        Alex Ritchie
      • J. David Barron
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 22, 1999
          Is this information on the Seamen's tickets available for different
          years? Is it organized like a census, i.e. every ten years, or was it
          compiled annually?

          I seem to recall that the list you were quoting from was 1840s, but I'm
          after similar info. from the 1850s and 60s.

          Thanks.

          David Barron
          Ottawa, Canada
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 25, 1999
            Hi David,

            J. David Barron wrote:

            > Is this information on the Seamen's tickets available for different
            > years? Is it organized like a census, i.e. every ten years, or was it
            > compiled annually?
            >
            > I seem to recall that the list you were quoting from was 1840s, but I'm
            > after similar info. from the 1850s and 60s.

            Register of Seamen's Tickets (BT113), covers 1845 to 1854, the ticket
            system was unpopular and was abolished in October 1853. Register of
            Seamen, Series III (BT 116), 1853 to 1857, gives their ages, places of
            birth and details of voyages (ship's name, date and port of departure),
            together with their existing ticket numbers (if any). This was
            discontinued in 1857 and you need to use Agreements and Crew Lists after
            this.

            Series III has also been filmed by the LDS, you will need to look at
            Locality Catalogue under Great Britain, Merchant Marine for the film
            numbers.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 25, 1999
              Hi Alex,

              Alex Ritchie wrote:

              > When you get a chance, could I also get the info for :
              >
              > Alexander McPherson (106317).

              106317, Alexander McPherson, 28 February 1828, Cromdale Inverness
              Capacity: Apprentice
              Height 5 ft 6 in Hair Light
              Complexion Fair Eyes Grey
              Marks None
              First went to sea as Apprentice in the Year 1845
              Has served in the Royal Navy No
              Has been in Foreign Service No
              When unemployed, resides at Peterhead
              Issued at Peterhead 19 Februar 1845
              Age when ticketed 17
              Can Write Yes

              Regards, Wade.
            • Alex Ritchie
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 3, 1999
                Hi Judy, If I'm not too late...and if it's not too much trouble, can you get me the details for the following Seamen from your list :

                Andrew Buchan (114203) Thomas Smith (114208)
                John Ogston (114210) Alexander Willox (114238)
                James Reid (114258) John Reid (114265)
                William Cow (114268)

                Alex Ritchie
              • thepatch
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 12, 2000
                  Could Wade, or anyone please tell me whether or not LDS FHL has on microfilm an index of names and ticket numbers for Merchant Seamen.  If so, would appreciate Film number.

                  Pat Campbell