Re: [Peterhead] Grandmothers birth

  • MAUREEN LAWRENCE
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2009
      Forgot to mention that Frances is on 1891 census b1885 Cruden with the rest of family

      Maureen

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2009
        2009/11/13 tobychick104 <brock60@...> wrote:

        >  My Grandmother was Frances Hay McLeod born about 1885 in Scotland.  She always told us she had been born at Hay Castle in Peterhead. She said she was named Hay after Lord Hay.??
        >
        >  The only records i can find is the family living in Cruden,  Aberdeenshire.Resided at 33 Main St in 1901.

        Scotland's People [at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ ] has one
        record of the birth of a Frances McLeod in Cruden in the period
        1884-1886 which ought to be worth obtaining! [I haven't looked at it -
        just done a search & count!]

        --
        Best wishes

        Ray

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 14, 2009
          Thanks all who responded, can get a good start on this.

        • Celtic Mist
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
            Maureen Whow Are The Parents of These Thomson's  Also Lizzie Thomson born 1879 Cruden and Helen Thomson 1882 Cruden and  Jane Thomson 1886

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
              Intresting Middle Name,I Have A Harriet Hay Falconer b. 08 May 1866 in Cruden. Paarents were James Falconer & Isabella Thomson. Is There Any Speculation Why the Middle Name of " HAY" in these two families?

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
                to Add to the Cruden THOMSON. William Thomson b.1876 and George Thomson b. 1880
                to The Parents of James Thomson & Catherine Brown.

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
                  1881 census
                  Thomas McLeod1849 Cruden, Jane 1849 Peterhead, Jane 1869 Peterhead, Donald 1871 Cruden, Thomas 1873 Cruden, Wm 1877 Cruden, John 1879 Cruden and Jessie 9 months Cruden. Address is 1 The Terrace. Thomas is a shepherd

                  1881 census
                  Isabella Thomson 1853 Fraserburgh, James Thomson 1850 Peterhead occupation of Slater Master, Isa 1871 Fraserburgh, Georgina M 1874 Fraserburgh, Jas 1877 Peterhead and Elizabeth S 1879 Peterhead. Address is 6 The Terrace

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 16, 2009
                    Hay is the family name of the Earls of Erroll who lived at Slains Castle
                    in Cruden Bay - now a ruin- from 1600 until the 1900s.
                    The Terrace - now Main Street used to house some of the workers at the
                    Castle.

                    This may help answer your questions,

                    Margie....Cruden Bay