Re: [Peterhead] Grandmothers birth

  • MAUREEN LAWRENCE
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2009
      The family are on 1891 census

      Thomas 1849 Cruden, Isabella 1853 Fraserburgh, Donald 1871 Cruden, Jessie 1881 Cruden, John 1879 Cruden. Thomas is a shepherd and the address is 1 The Terrace. Also Lizzie Thomson born 1879 Cruden and Helen Thomson 1882 Cruden and  Jane Thomson 1886 Cruden all listed as step daughters

      Maureen

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2009
        Forgot to mention that Frances is on 1891 census b1885 Cruden with the rest of family

        Maureen

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 13, 2009
          2009/11/13 tobychick104 <brock60@...> wrote:

          >  My Grandmother was Frances Hay McLeod born about 1885 in Scotland.  She always told us she had been born at Hay Castle in Peterhead. She said she was named Hay after Lord Hay.??
          >
          >  The only records i can find is the family living in Cruden,  Aberdeenshire.Resided at 33 Main St in 1901.

          Scotland's People [at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ ] has one
          record of the birth of a Frances McLeod in Cruden in the period
          1884-1886 which ought to be worth obtaining! [I haven't looked at it -
          just done a search & count!]

          --
          Best wishes

          Ray

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 14, 2009
            Thanks all who responded, can get a good start on this.

          • Celtic Mist
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
              Maureen Whow Are The Parents of These Thomson's  Also Lizzie Thomson born 1879 Cruden and Helen Thomson 1882 Cruden and  Jane Thomson 1886

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
                Intresting Middle Name,I Have A Harriet Hay Falconer b. 08 May 1866 in Cruden. Paarents were James Falconer & Isabella Thomson. Is There Any Speculation Why the Middle Name of " HAY" in these two families?

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
                  to Add to the Cruden THOMSON. William Thomson b.1876 and George Thomson b. 1880
                  to The Parents of James Thomson & Catherine Brown.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
                    1881 census
                    Thomas McLeod1849 Cruden, Jane 1849 Peterhead, Jane 1869 Peterhead, Donald 1871 Cruden, Thomas 1873 Cruden, Wm 1877 Cruden, John 1879 Cruden and Jessie 9 months Cruden. Address is 1 The Terrace. Thomas is a shepherd

                    1881 census
                    Isabella Thomson 1853 Fraserburgh, James Thomson 1850 Peterhead occupation of Slater Master, Isa 1871 Fraserburgh, Georgina M 1874 Fraserburgh, Jas 1877 Peterhead and Elizabeth S 1879 Peterhead. Address is 6 The Terrace

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 16, 2009
                      Hay is the family name of the Earls of Erroll who lived at Slains Castle
                      in Cruden Bay - now a ruin- from 1600 until the 1900s.
                      The Terrace - now Main Street used to house some of the workers at the
                      Castle.

                      This may help answer your questions,

                      Margie....Cruden Bay