Grandmothers birth

  • tobychick104
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2009
      My Grandmother was Frances Hay McLeod born about 1885 in Scotland.
      She always told us she had been born at Hay Castle in Peterhead. She said she was named Hay after Lord Hay.??

      The only records i can find is the family living in Cruden,
      Aberdeenshire.Resided at 33 Main St in 1901.

      Are their still McLeods in that area.?

      Aside to Peter Buchan.
      Her second husband was a John Buchan, her childhood sweetheart.
    • MAUREEN LAWRENCE
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2009
        The family are on 1891 census

        Thomas 1849 Cruden, Isabella 1853 Fraserburgh, Donald 1871 Cruden, Jessie 1881 Cruden, John 1879 Cruden. Thomas is a shepherd and the address is 1 The Terrace. Also Lizzie Thomson born 1879 Cruden and Helen Thomson 1882 Cruden and  Jane Thomson 1886 Cruden all listed as step daughters

        Maureen

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 13, 2009
          Forgot to mention that Frances is on 1891 census b1885 Cruden with the rest of family

          Maureen

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2009
            2009/11/13 tobychick104 <brock60@...> wrote:

            >  My Grandmother was Frances Hay McLeod born about 1885 in Scotland.  She always told us she had been born at Hay Castle in Peterhead. She said she was named Hay after Lord Hay.??
            >
            >  The only records i can find is the family living in Cruden,  Aberdeenshire.Resided at 33 Main St in 1901.

            Scotland's People [at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ ] has one
            record of the birth of a Frances McLeod in Cruden in the period
            1884-1886 which ought to be worth obtaining! [I haven't looked at it -
            just done a search & count!]

            --
            Best wishes

            Ray

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 14, 2009
              Thanks all who responded, can get a good start on this.

            • Celtic Mist
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
                Maureen Whow Are The Parents of These Thomson's  Also Lizzie Thomson born 1879 Cruden and Helen Thomson 1882 Cruden and  Jane Thomson 1886

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
                  Intresting Middle Name,I Have A Harriet Hay Falconer b. 08 May 1866 in Cruden. Paarents were James Falconer & Isabella Thomson. Is There Any Speculation Why the Middle Name of " HAY" in these two families?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
                    to Add to the Cruden THOMSON. William Thomson b.1876 and George Thomson b. 1880
                    to The Parents of James Thomson & Catherine Brown.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
                      1881 census
                      Thomas McLeod1849 Cruden, Jane 1849 Peterhead, Jane 1869 Peterhead, Donald 1871 Cruden, Thomas 1873 Cruden, Wm 1877 Cruden, John 1879 Cruden and Jessie 9 months Cruden. Address is 1 The Terrace. Thomas is a shepherd

                      1881 census
                      Isabella Thomson 1853 Fraserburgh, James Thomson 1850 Peterhead occupation of Slater Master, Isa 1871 Fraserburgh, Georgina M 1874 Fraserburgh, Jas 1877 Peterhead and Elizabeth S 1879 Peterhead. Address is 6 The Terrace

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 16, 2009
                        Hay is the family name of the Earls of Erroll who lived at Slains Castle
                        in Cruden Bay - now a ruin- from 1600 until the 1900s.
                        The Terrace - now Main Street used to house some of the workers at the
                        Castle.

                        This may help answer your questions,

                        Margie....Cruden Bay