Re: ARBUTHNOT 1851 census

  • Val Lowrie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 1999
      Hi Wade
      Hope all is sorted out and that I'm here to stay this time!
      Thank you for reply to my 1851 census queries some time ago.

      In the 1851 Census again would there be a Susan Torry MITCHELL, wife of George ARBUTHNOT living at 67 Marischal St Peterhead.?
      .She died in 1859 and he died in 1861 both at the above address.

      Also re the seaman's list, would you mind giving me the information on
      John LOWRIE b. 1821 Peterhead 106324
      John LAWRENCE b. 1825 Peterhead and 106312
      Thomas LAWRENCE, b. 1818 Lonmay. 106374

      Thank you

      Kind regards
      Val Lowrie.

      Would you mind looking up the 1851 Census Index for the details of
      1. George ARBUTHNOT and family, 67 Marischal St,
      2. David MITCHELL, 68 Marischal St and
      3. Helen ARBUTHNOT, nee DAVIDSON 31 Queen St.

      Thank you

      Kind Regards
      Val Lowrie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 1999
        Hi Val,

        Val Lowrie wrote:

        > In the 1851 Census again would there be a Susan Torry MITCHELL, wife
        > of George ARBUTHNOT living at 67 Marischal St Peterhead.?
        > .She died in 1859 and he died in 1861 both at the above address.

        1851 Census, District 9, page 23, No.121, Marischal Street
        Susan T. Arburnot, wife, 29, Peterhead
        George Arburnot, son, 1, Peterhead
        (not sure if I transcribed this incorrectly, or this is the way it was
        spelt in the census).

        No.122
        Helen Mitchell, wife, 35, Peterhead
        Susan E. Mitchell, daughter, 11, Peterhead
        George Mitchell, son, 10, Peterhead
        James Mitchell, son, 8, Peterhead
        William Mitchell, son, 6, Peterhead
        Helen D. Mitchell, daughter, 4, Peterhead
        Mary D. H. Mitchell, daughter, 1, Peterhead
        Helen Davidson, mother-in-law, 51, Peterhead
        Jean McKenzie, servant, 19, Peterhead
        Margaret Robb, servant, 18, Peterhead

        Page. 22, Mo.120
        James Mitchell, head, 67, Peterhead
        Susan Mitchell, wife, 69, Peterhead

        > Also re the seaman's list, would you mind giving me the information
        > on
        > John LOWRIE b. 1821 Peterhead 106324

        106324, John Lowrie, born May 1821 Peterhead, Capacity: Blacksmith
        Height 5 ft 8 in Hair Brown
        Complexion Dark Eyes Dark
        Marks None
        First went to sea as Blacksmith in the Year 1843
        Has served in the Royal Navy: No
        Has been in Foreign Service: No
        When unemployed, resides at: Peterhead
        Issued at Peterhead 3 March 1845
        Age when ticketed: 24
        Can Write: Yes

        > John LAWRENCE b. 1825 Peterhead and 106312

        106312, John Lawrence, born 13 October 1825 Peterhead, Capacity:
        Apprentice
        Height 5 ft 6 1/2 in Hair Light
        Complexion Ruddy Eyes Grey
        Marks None
        First went to sea as Apprentice in the Year 1842
        Has served in the Royal Navy No
        Has been in Foreign Service No
        When unemployed, resides at Fraserburgh
        Issued at Peterhead 30 January 1845
        Age when ticketed 20
        Can Write Yes

        > Thomas LAWRENCE, b. 1818 Lonmay. 106374

        106374, Thomas Lawrence, born 9 October 1818 Lonmay, Capacity: Seaman &
        Cooper
        Height 5 ft 7 in Hair Brown
        Complexion Fair Eyes Grey
        Marks None
        First went to sea as Seaman in the Year 1845
        Has served in the Royal Navy No
        Has been in Foreign Service No
        When unemployed, resides at Peterhead
        Issued at Peterhead 26 Februar 1845
        Age when ticketed 27
        Can Write No

        Regards, Wade.
      • Val Lowrie
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 26, 1999
          Hi Wade

          Many thanks for the info from the 1851 census and the Seamen's list.

          Would you believe the little word 'mother-in-law' was the all-important
          connection in the whole thing!!

          Kind regards

          Val Lowrie