Re: [Peterhead] Hello

  • Ray Hennessy
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
      2009/9/29 Christie Creamore (lovescreationnursery) <
      lovescreationnursery@...> wrote

      <snipped>

      > I descend from the Cordiner family
      >
      > My great grandfather met a Helen Stephen Robertson while stationed there
      > during the war. They married and had a child (grandfathers sister) Helen
      > died about a year after the birth. It was arranged that my great
      > grandfather marry Helen's cousin, Andrewina Masson who's mother was Helen
      > Jane Cordiner.
      >

      > Helen Jane has a quite a reputation in the family. It is believed that she
      > left her husband to come over to Canada but we have never been able to find
      > anything to support this. She did re-marry once here in Canada.
      >
      > If I could get some information on the marriage of Helen Jane Cordiner to
      > Andrew Masson (is listed as Dyker Masson on another document) I would be
      > thrilled.

      Hi Christie

      In case you don't have it, I thought you might like the 1881 Census entry
      for Helen Jean CORDINER [Jane & Jean are synonymous]

      Jas Stephens Buildings H, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland

      Peter CORDINER M 29 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Head Occ: Fisherman
      Mary CORDINER M 29 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Wife
      Helen Jean CORDINER 6 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Dau Occ: Scholar
      Peter CORDINER 2 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Son
      Janet McIntosh CORDINER 9m F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Dau
      Janet STEPHEN U 18 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
      Rel: Serv Occ: Gen Serv

      The place of birth for each is given as "Bdm, Aberdeen" which means nothing
      to me. The IGI locates these births in Peterhead which is sometimes shown
      as "Phd", so I suspect "Bdm" is a transcription error [which occurs all over
      these records on the 1881 CDs].

      --
      Best wishes

      Ray

    • scotnel4
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hennessy <ray@...> wrote:

        > 2009/9/29 Christie Creamore (lovescreationnursery) <
        > lovescreationnursery@...> wrote
        >
        > <snipped>
        Bdm is for Bodham which Helen gives as her place of birth in 1901. She is living at Nigg with Andrewina and Peter - wife of a Trawler Fisherman.

        Christie - You can view these records at Scotlands People. A look at the marriage entry may also show if they were divorced.
        You can get 10 free credits for SP if you sign up to Ancestral Scotland.

        Regards,
        Annette

        > Hi Christie
        >
        > In case you don't have it, I thought you might like the 1881 Census entry
        > for Helen Jean CORDINER [Jane & Jean are synonymous]
        >
        > Jas Stephens Buildings H, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
        >
        > Peter CORDINER M 29 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        > Rel: Head Occ: Fisherman
        > Mary CORDINER M 29 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        > Rel: Wife
        > Helen Jean CORDINER 6 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        > Rel: Dau Occ: Scholar
        > Peter CORDINER 2 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        > Rel: Son
        > Janet McIntosh CORDINER 9m F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        > Rel: Dau
        > Janet STEPHEN U 18 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        > Rel: Serv Occ: Gen Serv
        >
        > The place of birth for each is given as "Bdm, Aberdeen" which means nothing
        > to me. The IGI locates these births in Peterhead which is sometimes shown
        > as "Phd", so I suspect "Bdm" is a transcription error [which occurs all over
        > these records on the 1881 CDs].
        >
        > --
        > Best wishes
        >
        > Ray

      • ALISON KENNEDY
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
          Hi

          Ray & Christie - the "Bdm" would have been short for Boddam - village couple of miles south of Peterhead on coast.  Phd has been local short cut for writing Peterhead since time began - even headstones often have Phd on them rather than Peterhead.

          Christie

          Marriage certificate which Steve referred to is available for you to check out, for a small fee, at the Scotland's People website www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk   If the couple were divorced then stamp to show this will be on left side of marriage certificate.  Other records which you queried may also be available there.  Scotland's people also have original copies of census returns which you can have a look at for the family.

          Hope this helps.

          Alison

          ________________________________

          ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

[...]