Re: Hello

  • lovescreationnursery
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hi Steve,

      WOW! That is awesome! Any chance there is any further records on Andrew? Perhaps his death? Or mention of divorce? I know that Helen Jane was living here in Canada without him by the end of WW1 and am curous to find out if the rumor in the family is true.

      Amazing, I anticipated this group would be able to give me some of the color around what life was like back then in the area, not get me additional dates on my connections.

      Thank you soooo much!

      Christie

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Hutchison <sjhutchison@...> wrote:

      > Hi Christie,
      >
      > Scotlands People have a marriage record (185/00 0003) for Andrew MASSON and
      > Helen Jane CORDINER in Cruden dated 1899.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > 2009/9/29 Henderson, Roy <roy.henderson@...>
      >

      > > Hi Christie and welcome to the group!
      > >
      > > Perhaps I am the only one who is confused, but could you clarify whether or
      > > not you mean WW1 or WW2 and give some approximate dates for the various
      > > events?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Roy

    • Ray Hennessy
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
        2009/9/29 Christie Creamore (lovescreationnursery) <
        lovescreationnursery@...> wrote

        <snipped>

        > I descend from the Cordiner family
        >
        > My great grandfather met a Helen Stephen Robertson while stationed there
        > during the war. They married and had a child (grandfathers sister) Helen
        > died about a year after the birth. It was arranged that my great
        > grandfather marry Helen's cousin, Andrewina Masson who's mother was Helen
        > Jane Cordiner.
        >

        > Helen Jane has a quite a reputation in the family. It is believed that she
        > left her husband to come over to Canada but we have never been able to find
        > anything to support this. She did re-marry once here in Canada.
        >
        > If I could get some information on the marriage of Helen Jane Cordiner to
        > Andrew Masson (is listed as Dyker Masson on another document) I would be
        > thrilled.

        Hi Christie

        In case you don't have it, I thought you might like the 1881 Census entry
        for Helen Jean CORDINER [Jane & Jean are synonymous]

        Jas Stephens Buildings H, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland

        Peter CORDINER M 29 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Head Occ: Fisherman
        Mary CORDINER M 29 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Wife
        Helen Jean CORDINER 6 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Dau Occ: Scholar
        Peter CORDINER 2 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Son
        Janet McIntosh CORDINER 9m F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Dau
        Janet STEPHEN U 18 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Serv Occ: Gen Serv

        The place of birth for each is given as "Bdm, Aberdeen" which means nothing
        to me. The IGI locates these births in Peterhead which is sometimes shown
        as "Phd", so I suspect "Bdm" is a transcription error [which occurs all over
        these records on the 1881 CDs].

        --
        Best wishes

        Ray

      • scotnel4
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hennessy <ray@...> wrote:

          > 2009/9/29 Christie Creamore (lovescreationnursery) <
          > lovescreationnursery@...> wrote
          >
          > <snipped>
          Bdm is for Bodham which Helen gives as her place of birth in 1901. She is living at Nigg with Andrewina and Peter - wife of a Trawler Fisherman.

          Christie - You can view these records at Scotlands People. A look at the marriage entry may also show if they were divorced.
          You can get 10 free credits for SP if you sign up to Ancestral Scotland.

          Regards,
          Annette

          > Hi Christie
          >
          > In case you don't have it, I thought you might like the 1881 Census entry
          > for Helen Jean CORDINER [Jane & Jean are synonymous]
          >
          > Jas Stephens Buildings H, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
          >
          > Peter CORDINER M 29 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
          > Rel: Head Occ: Fisherman
          > Mary CORDINER M 29 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
          > Rel: Wife
          > Helen Jean CORDINER 6 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
          > Rel: Dau Occ: Scholar
          > Peter CORDINER 2 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
          > Rel: Son
          > Janet McIntosh CORDINER 9m F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
          > Rel: Dau
          > Janet STEPHEN U 18 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
          > Rel: Serv Occ: Gen Serv
          >
          > The place of birth for each is given as "Bdm, Aberdeen" which means nothing
          > to me. The IGI locates these births in Peterhead which is sometimes shown
          > as "Phd", so I suspect "Bdm" is a transcription error [which occurs all over
          > these records on the 1881 CDs].
          >
          > --
          > Best wishes
          >
          > Ray

        • ALISON KENNEDY
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
            Hi

            Ray & Christie - the "Bdm" would have been short for Boddam - village couple of miles south of Peterhead on coast.  Phd has been local short cut for writing Peterhead since time began - even headstones often have Phd on them rather than Peterhead.

            Christie

            Marriage certificate which Steve referred to is available for you to check out, for a small fee, at the Scotland's People website www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk   If the couple were divorced then stamp to show this will be on left side of marriage certificate.  Other records which you queried may also be available there.  Scotland's people also have original copies of census returns which you can have a look at for the family.

            Hope this helps.

            Alison

            ________________________________

            ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

[...]