Re: Hello

  • lovescreationnursery
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hi Roy,

      Thank you for the welcome!

      My apologies for not being more clear with the timing.

      I know that Helen Jane Cordiner was born in 1874 and that my Great Grandfather was there durring WW1.

      Christie

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Roy" <roy.henderson@...> wrote:

      > Hi Christie and welcome to the group!
      >

      > Perhaps I am the only one who is confused, but could you clarify whether or not you mean WW1 or WW2 and give some approximate dates for the various events?
      >

      > Regards,
      >

      > Roy

    • lovescreationnursery
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
        Hi Steve,

        WOW! That is awesome! Any chance there is any further records on Andrew? Perhaps his death? Or mention of divorce? I know that Helen Jane was living here in Canada without him by the end of WW1 and am curous to find out if the rumor in the family is true.

        Amazing, I anticipated this group would be able to give me some of the color around what life was like back then in the area, not get me additional dates on my connections.

        Thank you soooo much!

        Christie

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Hutchison <sjhutchison@...> wrote:

        > Hi Christie,
        >
        > Scotlands People have a marriage record (185/00 0003) for Andrew MASSON and
        > Helen Jane CORDINER in Cruden dated 1899.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > 2009/9/29 Henderson, Roy <roy.henderson@...>
        >

        > > Hi Christie and welcome to the group!
        > >
        > > Perhaps I am the only one who is confused, but could you clarify whether or
        > > not you mean WW1 or WW2 and give some approximate dates for the various
        > > events?
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > Roy

      • Ray Hennessy
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
          2009/9/29 Christie Creamore (lovescreationnursery) <
          lovescreationnursery@...> wrote

          <snipped>

          > I descend from the Cordiner family
          >
          > My great grandfather met a Helen Stephen Robertson while stationed there
          > during the war. They married and had a child (grandfathers sister) Helen
          > died about a year after the birth. It was arranged that my great
          > grandfather marry Helen's cousin, Andrewina Masson who's mother was Helen
          > Jane Cordiner.
          >

          > Helen Jane has a quite a reputation in the family. It is believed that she
          > left her husband to come over to Canada but we have never been able to find
          > anything to support this. She did re-marry once here in Canada.
          >
          > If I could get some information on the marriage of Helen Jane Cordiner to
          > Andrew Masson (is listed as Dyker Masson on another document) I would be
          > thrilled.

          Hi Christie

          In case you don't have it, I thought you might like the 1881 Census entry
          for Helen Jean CORDINER [Jane & Jean are synonymous]

          Jas Stephens Buildings H, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland

          Peter CORDINER M 29 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
          Rel: Head Occ: Fisherman
          Mary CORDINER M 29 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
          Rel: Wife
          Helen Jean CORDINER 6 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
          Rel: Dau Occ: Scholar
          Peter CORDINER 2 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
          Rel: Son
          Janet McIntosh CORDINER 9m F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
          Rel: Dau
          Janet STEPHEN U 18 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
          Rel: Serv Occ: Gen Serv

          The place of birth for each is given as "Bdm, Aberdeen" which means nothing
          to me. The IGI locates these births in Peterhead which is sometimes shown
          as "Phd", so I suspect "Bdm" is a transcription error [which occurs all over
          these records on the 1881 CDs].

          --
          Best wishes

          Ray

        • scotnel4
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hennessy <ray@...> wrote:

            > 2009/9/29 Christie Creamore (lovescreationnursery) <
            > lovescreationnursery@...> wrote
            >
            > <snipped>
            Bdm is for Bodham which Helen gives as her place of birth in 1901. She is living at Nigg with Andrewina and Peter - wife of a Trawler Fisherman.

            Christie - You can view these records at Scotlands People. A look at the marriage entry may also show if they were divorced.
            You can get 10 free credits for SP if you sign up to Ancestral Scotland.

            Regards,
            Annette

            > Hi Christie
            >
            > In case you don't have it, I thought you might like the 1881 Census entry
            > for Helen Jean CORDINER [Jane & Jean are synonymous]
            >
            > Jas Stephens Buildings H, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
            >
            > Peter CORDINER M 29 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
            > Rel: Head Occ: Fisherman
            > Mary CORDINER M 29 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
            > Rel: Wife
            > Helen Jean CORDINER 6 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
            > Rel: Dau Occ: Scholar
            > Peter CORDINER 2 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
            > Rel: Son
            > Janet McIntosh CORDINER 9m F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
            > Rel: Dau
            > Janet STEPHEN U 18 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
            > Rel: Serv Occ: Gen Serv
            >
            > The place of birth for each is given as "Bdm, Aberdeen" which means nothing
            > to me. The IGI locates these births in Peterhead which is sometimes shown
            > as "Phd", so I suspect "Bdm" is a transcription error [which occurs all over
            > these records on the 1881 CDs].
            >
            > --
            > Best wishes
            >
            > Ray

          • ALISON KENNEDY
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
              Hi

              Ray & Christie - the "Bdm" would have been short for Boddam - village couple of miles south of Peterhead on coast.  Phd has been local short cut for writing Peterhead since time began - even headstones often have Phd on them rather than Peterhead.

              Christie

              Marriage certificate which Steve referred to is available for you to check out, for a small fee, at the Scotland's People website www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk   If the couple were divorced then stamp to show this will be on left side of marriage certificate.  Other records which you queried may also be available there.  Scotland's people also have original copies of census returns which you can have a look at for the family.

              Hope this helps.

              Alison

              ________________________________

              ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

[...]