Hello

  • lovescreationnursery
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 2009
      Hi All

      My name is Christie Creamore and I live in B.C. Canada. I have been interested in the family history for years and have been looking into various branches. I came across your group in my searches and decided to join. Not sure that much can be added but I am interested in general knowledge of the area and times as well.

      I descend from the Cordiner family

      My great grandfather met a Helen Stephen Robertson while stationed there during the war. They married and had a child (grandfathers sister) Helen died about a year after the birth. It was arranged that my great grandfather marry Helen's cousin, Andrewina Masson who's mother was Helen Jane Cordiner. At the end of the war my grandfather came back to B.C. with his fiancée Andrewina, his daughter Dorothy, his mother in law Helen Jane and sister in law Nellie. Mt great grandfather and Andrewina had three children of their own including my grandfather.

      Helen Jane has a quite a reputation in the family. It is believed that she left her husband to come over to Canada but we have never been able to find anything to support this. She did re-marry once here in Canada.

      If I could get some information on the marriage of Helen Jane Cordiner to Andrew Masson (is listed as Dyker Masson on another document) I would be thrilled.

      Thanks!

      Christie
    • Henderson, Roy
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 28, 2009
        Hi Christie and welcome to the group!

        Perhaps I am the only one who is confused, but could you clarify whether or not you mean WW1 or WW2 and give some approximate dates for the various events?

        Regards,

        Roy

[...]

        ===============================
        CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

        This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed herein.
        If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others.
        Also please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.
        The sender totally disclaims, and will not accept, any responsibility or liability for the unauthorized use,
        or the consequences of any unauthorized use, of this communication or message.

      • Stephen Hutchison
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2009
          Hi Christie,

          Scotlands People have a marriage record (185/00 0003) for Andrew MASSON and
          Helen Jane CORDINER in Cruden dated 1899.

          Regards,

          Steve

          2009/9/29 Henderson, Roy <roy.henderson@...>

          > Hi Christie and welcome to the group!
          >
          > Perhaps I am the only one who is confused, but could you clarify whether or
          > not you mean WW1 or WW2 and give some approximate dates for the various
          > events?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Roy

        • lovescreationnursery
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
            Hi Roy,

            Thank you for the welcome!

            My apologies for not being more clear with the timing.

            I know that Helen Jane Cordiner was born in 1874 and that my Great Grandfather was there durring WW1.

            Christie

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
              Hi Steve,

              WOW! That is awesome! Any chance there is any further records on Andrew? Perhaps his death? Or mention of divorce? I know that Helen Jane was living here in Canada without him by the end of WW1 and am curous to find out if the rumor in the family is true.

              Amazing, I anticipated this group would be able to give me some of the color around what life was like back then in the area, not get me additional dates on my connections.

              Thank you soooo much!

              Christie

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Hutchison <sjhutchison@...> wrote:

              > Hi Christie,
              >
              > Scotlands People have a marriage record (185/00 0003) for Andrew MASSON and
              > Helen Jane CORDINER in Cruden dated 1899.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Steve
              >
              > 2009/9/29 Henderson, Roy <roy.henderson@...>
              >

              > > Hi Christie and welcome to the group!
              > >
              > > Perhaps I am the only one who is confused, but could you clarify whether or
              > > not you mean WW1 or WW2 and give some approximate dates for the various
              > > events?
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > >
              > > Roy

            • Ray Hennessy
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                2009/9/29 Christie Creamore (lovescreationnursery) <
                lovescreationnursery@...> wrote

                <snipped>

                > I descend from the Cordiner family
                >
                > My great grandfather met a Helen Stephen Robertson while stationed there
                > during the war. They married and had a child (grandfathers sister) Helen
                > died about a year after the birth. It was arranged that my great
                > grandfather marry Helen's cousin, Andrewina Masson who's mother was Helen
                > Jane Cordiner.
                >

                > Helen Jane has a quite a reputation in the family. It is believed that she
                > left her husband to come over to Canada but we have never been able to find
                > anything to support this. She did re-marry once here in Canada.
                >
                > If I could get some information on the marriage of Helen Jane Cordiner to
                > Andrew Masson (is listed as Dyker Masson on another document) I would be
                > thrilled.

                Hi Christie

                In case you don't have it, I thought you might like the 1881 Census entry
                for Helen Jean CORDINER [Jane & Jean are synonymous]

                Jas Stephens Buildings H, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland

                Peter CORDINER M 29 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
                Rel: Head Occ: Fisherman
                Mary CORDINER M 29 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
                Rel: Wife
                Helen Jean CORDINER 6 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
                Rel: Dau Occ: Scholar
                Peter CORDINER 2 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
                Rel: Son
                Janet McIntosh CORDINER 9m F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
                Rel: Dau
                Janet STEPHEN U 18 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
                Rel: Serv Occ: Gen Serv

                The place of birth for each is given as "Bdm, Aberdeen" which means nothing
                to me. The IGI locates these births in Peterhead which is sometimes shown
                as "Phd", so I suspect "Bdm" is a transcription error [which occurs all over
                these records on the 1881 CDs].

                --
                Best wishes

                Ray

              • scotnel4
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hennessy <ray@...> wrote:

                  > 2009/9/29 Christie Creamore (lovescreationnursery) <
                  > lovescreationnursery@...> wrote
                  >
                  > <snipped>
                  Bdm is for Bodham which Helen gives as her place of birth in 1901. She is living at Nigg with Andrewina and Peter - wife of a Trawler Fisherman.

                  Christie - You can view these records at Scotlands People. A look at the marriage entry may also show if they were divorced.
                  You can get 10 free credits for SP if you sign up to Ancestral Scotland.

                  Regards,
                  Annette

                  > Hi Christie
                  >
                  > In case you don't have it, I thought you might like the 1881 Census entry
                  > for Helen Jean CORDINER [Jane & Jean are synonymous]
                  >
                  > Jas Stephens Buildings H, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
                  >
                  > Peter CORDINER M 29 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
                  > Rel: Head Occ: Fisherman
                  > Mary CORDINER M 29 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
                  > Rel: Wife
                  > Helen Jean CORDINER 6 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
                  > Rel: Dau Occ: Scholar
                  > Peter CORDINER 2 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
                  > Rel: Son
                  > Janet McIntosh CORDINER 9m F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
                  > Rel: Dau
                  > Janet STEPHEN U 18 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
                  > Rel: Serv Occ: Gen Serv
                  >
                  > The place of birth for each is given as "Bdm, Aberdeen" which means nothing
                  > to me. The IGI locates these births in Peterhead which is sometimes shown
                  > as "Phd", so I suspect "Bdm" is a transcription error [which occurs all over
                  > these records on the 1881 CDs].
                  >
                  > --
                  > Best wishes
                  >
                  > Ray

                • ALISON KENNEDY
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                    Hi

                    Ray & Christie - the "Bdm" would have been short for Boddam - village couple of miles south of Peterhead on coast.  Phd has been local short cut for writing Peterhead since time began - even headstones often have Phd on them rather than Peterhead.

                    Christie

                    Marriage certificate which Steve referred to is available for you to check out, for a small fee, at the Scotland's People website www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk   If the couple were divorced then stamp to show this will be on left side of marriage certificate.  Other records which you queried may also be available there.  Scotland's people also have original copies of census returns which you can have a look at for the family.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Alison

                    ________________________________

                    ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

[...]