Re: [Peterhead] Seamen

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 18, 2009
      Hi Jean,

      I don't think there were any requirements for a "ticket" except that
      the man would have had to be employed on a seagoing vessel. And I'm
      not sure if it applied to all vessels in the coastal trade, maybe only
      to those visiting foreign ports. The Mates' and Master's tickets were
      a different matter. To get these, a seaman had to provide his record
      of experience and pass exams. The exceptioin was when the system was
      first introduced, when experienced seamen who had already been in
      command of vessels were granted master's certificates on the basis of
      their experience only.

      See http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UK19thCSeamen.html.
      Organised service records of a seaman's career do not commence until
      1835.
      The Merchant Shipping Act of 1835 required masters of all ships to
      file Agreements and Crew Lists with the Registrar General of Shipping
      and Seamen.
      From 1844, any seaman leaving the UK was required to have a register
      ticket, details being entered in this series of registers. This
      register gives the name, place of birth and Register Ticket number.
      The ticket system was abandoned in 1857.

      See also The National Archives Research guide merchant Seaman
      Registers of Service 1835-1857 http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=127&j=1

      On 19/09/2009, at 10:32 AM, Jean Cameron wrote:

      > Can someone please tell me the requirements to get a seamen's ticket
      > early 1800's. Thanks.
      >
      > Jean Cameron,___

      Mary Barnes
      marysb@...

    • Jean Cameron
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 19, 2009
        Hi Mary: Thanks so much for your information, one of these days I hope to pull it all together. Jean
[...]

        From 1844, any seaman leaving the UK was required to have a register
        ticket, details being entered in this series of registers. This
        register gives the name, place of birth and Register Ticket number.
        The ticket system was abandoned in 1857.

        See also The National Archives Research guide merchant Seaman
        Registers of Service 1835-1857 http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=127&j=1

        On 19/09/2009, at 10:32 AM, Jean Cameron wrote:

        > Can someone please tell me the requirements to get a seamen's ticket
        > early 1800's. Thanks.
        >
        > Jean Cameron,___

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...

      • William E. Scheyer
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 29, 2009
          Mary:

          I followed your advise and hired a researcher. It was well worth the cost as
          I now have not only a report but also photos of all my GGGrandfather's
          certificates and applications for same.

          William

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 7, 2010
            Good to hear from you again, William. I'm glad that it worked out well for you. These certificates are full of information, aren't they?

            Mary

            On 30/12/2009, at 11:21 AM, William E. Scheyer wrote:

            > Mary:
            >
            > I followed your advise and hired a researcher. It was well worth the cost as
            > I now have not only a report but also photos of all my GGGrandfather's
            > certificates and applications for same.
            >
            > William

            Mary Barnes
            marysb@...

          • William E. Scheyer
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 13, 2010
              Mary:

              Yes, the certificates hold plenty of information. I even learned about ships
              my gggfather captained I never knew about. Once again, thanks for your
              advice.

              William

              Good to hear from you again, William. I'm glad that it worked out well for
              you. These certificates are full of information, aren't they?

              Mary

              On 30/12/2009, at 11:21 AM, William E. Scheyer wrote:

              > Mary:
              >
              > I followed your advise and hired a researcher. It was well worth the
              cost as
              > I now have not only a report but also photos of all my GGGrandfather's
              > certificates and applications for same.
              >
              > William

              Mary Barnes
              marysb@...