Seamen

  • Jean Cameron
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 18 5:32 PM
      Can someone please tell me the requirements to get a seamen's ticket early 1800's. Thanks.

      Jean Cameron

    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 18 6:40 PM
        Hi Jean,

        I don't think there were any requirements for a "ticket" except that
        the man would have had to be employed on a seagoing vessel. And I'm
        not sure if it applied to all vessels in the coastal trade, maybe only
        to those visiting foreign ports. The Mates' and Master's tickets were
        a different matter. To get these, a seaman had to provide his record
        of experience and pass exams. The exceptioin was when the system was
        first introduced, when experienced seamen who had already been in
        command of vessels were granted master's certificates on the basis of
        their experience only.

        See http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UK19thCSeamen.html.
        Organised service records of a seaman's career do not commence until
        1835.
        The Merchant Shipping Act of 1835 required masters of all ships to
        file Agreements and Crew Lists with the Registrar General of Shipping
        and Seamen.
        From 1844, any seaman leaving the UK was required to have a register
        ticket, details being entered in this series of registers. This
        register gives the name, place of birth and Register Ticket number.
        The ticket system was abandoned in 1857.

        See also The National Archives Research guide merchant Seaman
        Registers of Service 1835-1857 http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=127&j=1

        On 19/09/2009, at 10:32 AM, Jean Cameron wrote:

        > Can someone please tell me the requirements to get a seamen's ticket
        > early 1800's. Thanks.
        >
        > Jean Cameron,___

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...

      • Jean Cameron
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 19 12:24 PM
          Hi Mary: Thanks so much for your information, one of these days I hope to pull it all together. Jean
[...]

          From 1844, any seaman leaving the UK was required to have a register
          ticket, details being entered in this series of registers. This
          register gives the name, place of birth and Register Ticket number.
          The ticket system was abandoned in 1857.

          See also The National Archives Research guide merchant Seaman
          Registers of Service 1835-1857 http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=127&j=1

          On 19/09/2009, at 10:32 AM, Jean Cameron wrote:

          > Can someone please tell me the requirements to get a seamen's ticket
          > early 1800's. Thanks.
          >
          > Jean Cameron,___

          Mary Barnes
          marysb@...

        • William E. Scheyer
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 29, 2009
            Mary:

            I followed your advise and hired a researcher. It was well worth the cost as
            I now have not only a report but also photos of all my GGGrandfather's
            certificates and applications for same.

            William

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 7, 2010
              Good to hear from you again, William. I'm glad that it worked out well for you. These certificates are full of information, aren't they?

              Mary

              On 30/12/2009, at 11:21 AM, William E. Scheyer wrote:

              > Mary:
              >
              > I followed your advise and hired a researcher. It was well worth the cost as
              > I now have not only a report but also photos of all my GGGrandfather's
              > certificates and applications for same.
              >
              > William

              Mary Barnes
              marysb@...

            • William E. Scheyer
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 13, 2010
                Mary:

                Yes, the certificates hold plenty of information. I even learned about ships
                my gggfather captained I never knew about. Once again, thanks for your
                advice.

                William

                Good to hear from you again, William. I'm glad that it worked out well for
                you. These certificates are full of information, aren't they?

                Mary

                On 30/12/2009, at 11:21 AM, William E. Scheyer wrote:

                > Mary:
                >
                > I followed your advise and hired a researcher. It was well worth the
                cost as
                > I now have not only a report but also photos of all my GGGrandfather's
                > certificates and applications for same.
                >
                > William

                Mary Barnes
                marysb@...