Re: Captain Robert Davidson

  • pleslie23
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 24, 2009
      Hello Mary;
      My Davidson was Jean, a great great grandmother. Her daughter was Janet Walker, my great grandmother. I am sure that these Davidsons are all related somewhere. If some of us could make a giant family tree we would see how they are related.
      Jean Davidson. Born 1827 in Peterhead. Died Jul 1905 in Peterhead.
      Janet Walker. Born 1847. Died 28 Apr 1925 in Peterhead.
      Regards
      William Leslie

      -- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Mary Barnes <marysb@...> wrote:

      > Hi William, Angela, Ray,
      >
      > I have been reading your postings with interest, and wondering if your
      > Davidsons are related to mine.
      >
      > My great great grandmother was Janet Davidson, born about 1794 in
      > Crimond, daughter of William Davidson and Janet Crighton or Creighton.
      > I know nothing about Janet's parents other than their names. In
      > Peterhead in 1817, Janet had an illegitimate daughter Mary Ann
      > McConnel, to a seaman James McConnel, who appears to have abandoned
      > her. He left Peterhead before the baby's birth and did not return. The
      > minutes of the kirk session for 1817 and 1819 recount the history of
      > this event and Janet's humiliation. Janet later married Robert Stephen
      > in 1822 and their first child, Jane Stephen, born 1824, was my great
      > grandmother.
      >
      > Your records show links between the Davidson and Stephen families, and
      > the names William, Robert and Alexander were all common names in my
      > family, so it seems possible that your Davidsons and mine are related.
      > Have you any indication of how? I have so far been unable to find
      > details of Janet's baptism or her parents' marriage on Scotland's
      > People.
      >
      > Mary Barnes

    • William E. Scheyer
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 26, 2009
        Mary:

        I sorry to say I that I have not established the link between our families
        but, that does not mean a link does not exist. Several people are
        researching Robert Davidson (I think there were several) so I forwarded your
        e-mail to Fionnadh who may be able to help both you and I.

        Best Wishes,

        Bill

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 4, 2009
          For : William Leslie

          William, Do you have any more details about Robert Davidson & Ann
          Bruce ?

          I have a particular interest in Peterhead
          shipmasters and would be grateful for any details you could give me on
          your ancestors (Robert DAvidson & Ann Bruce).

          Alex. Ritchie

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "William Leslie" <william.leslie@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello;
          > I also have Davidson's in my Peterhead Family Tree.
          >
          > 2. Ann Bruce. Born 1801 in Peterhead. Died 1880 in Peterhead. MY GREAT
          > GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS
          >
          > She married Robert Davidson, 28 Oct 1821. Occupation Shipmaster.
          >
          > They had the following children:
          >
          > 3 i. Jean Davidson
          >

          > I am convinced that if you could make a big enough Family Tree of all
          the
          > residents of Peterhead, that it would show that they are all related
          > somewhere.
          >

          > William Leslie

          Australia.

          > Mary died on 5 February 1898 in Victoria. She has many descendants
          > in Australia.
          >
          > Regards from your Aussie cousin,
          >
          > Angela Patterson
          >

          > On 19/08/2009, at 10:51 AM, william_scheyer wrote:
          >
          > > Hello from the USA.
          > >
          > > My great great grandfather was Captain Robert Davidson born in
          > > Peterhead on October 28, 1840 and past away on January 12, 1904 in
          > > Dundee.
          > >
          > > During his life, he captained many whaling ships such as the "Polar
          > > Star" and "Diana" and was the Captain of the "Diana" during the
          > > Dundee Antarctic Expedition of 1892-93.
          > >
          > > I am interested in finding sketches and/or photographs of him and
          > > one of his ships named the "polar Star" as well as any living
          > > decendants of his.
          > >
          > > Thank you.
          > >
          > > W. Scheyer
          > >
          > > wscheyer@...

        • William Leslie
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 4, 2009
            Hello Alex Ritchie;
            The only information I have is the family tree chart which I could send you. This also includes my great grandfather James Rankin who was a mariner and for whom I have some information. I would be happy to find more information about James Rankin's seagoing career. Contact me at william.leslie@sympatico and I will send you the family tree chart.