  • F Ratchford
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 2009
      Hi there,
      I am interested in your Davidson connections as I have ancestors with the same occupation and name.

      I have a Robert Davidson, born Peterhead c1791 to Alexander Davidson. Alexander christened other boys: William, Alexander and possibly James.  Robert Davidson married Helen Dunn in Peterhead 1825. They went on to have a number of children but he died sometime before 1856.

      Do get in touch if any of this connects,

      Best wishes,
      Fionnadh

    • William E. Scheyer
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 2009
        Dear Fionnadh:

        There is a strong possibility we are related too. I have up loaded a file
        named "Robert Sr.'s baptism 1791.tif" which could be the Robert Davidson who
        married the Helen Dunn you are referring to.

        I have traced my roots back to Captain Robert Davidson who was born in 1840.
        His parents were Robert Davidson and Mary Sangster. However, Captain Robert
        Davidson was illegitimate. So your Robert Davidson could be the father of my
        Captain Robert Davidson unless there is another generation in between. The
        1841 census shows who I believe to be my Captain Robert Davidson (2 years
        old at the time) living with a James (age 41) and Helen (age 36) Davidson
        plus 5 other children ranging in age from 4 to 15 one of which is also
        James. The 1841 census also shows Mary Sangster living with Alexander
        Sangster a blacksmith (both 28 years of age) presumably her brother since
        they are the same age and, Robert Davidson (a seamen age 45), James Davidson
        (a seamen age 20), William Davidson (a seamen age 25), and John Davidson (a
        seamen age 41) all absent when the census was taken (presumably at sea). So,
        this all seems to connect.

        As you see the above connects me to Angela. But, you and I need to do
        further research.

        I hope others will jump into this so we can connect all the dots.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 23, 2009
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "William E. Scheyer" <wscheyer@...> wrote:
          >Hi Bill and Fionnadh,

          Bill's post with the 1841 details sent me scurrying for my records!

          My 1841 census record has Robert, 6months, living with Mary Sangster and her parents in Cruden. I'm pretty confident this is the right family because the age fits better with Robert's birth date. So I think Fionnadh's Robert Davidson and my Robert Davidson are not the same person. Bill, I think your 1841 census record shows Fionnadhs's Robert, not ours.

          1841 Census:
          Piece: SCT1841/185 Place: Cruden-Aberdeenshire Enumeration District: 2
          Civil Parish: Cruden Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
          Folio: 2 Page: 7
          Address: Hardslacks
          Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
          SANGSTER Alexander M 85 Farmer Aberdeenshire
          SANGSTER Elizabeth F 65 Aberdeenshire
          SANGSTER Mary F 30 Aberdeenshire
          DAVIDSON Robert M 6m Aberdeenshire

          Regards,

          Angela Patteson
          (P.S I have changed my email contact to my gmail account but am still accessing both accounts)