Re: [Peterhead] Captain Robert Davidson

  • Ray Hennessy
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 21, 2009
      2009/8/21 Angela Patterson <atpatter@...> wrote:

      > This is very exciting! Unfortunately I didn't receive the
      attachment with your post. Could you please try again? I am
      not sure if you can send attachments to the group. Perhaps
      you need to send it directly to my personal email address.

      > I am descended from Mary Sangster's daughter, Mary
      Ann Florence. Mary Ann had 13 children so there are a
      lot of us from that line!

      Hi Angela & Bill

      These Lists strip out all attachments and forward messages in
      plain text so formatting is lost too [e.g. bold text comes out plain].
      Attachments have to be sent off-List.

      I am writing because I am trying to find an Agnes SANGSTER.
      She was a witness at Sheena's grandparents' wedding in Ellon
      in 1893. We haven't been able to work out which SANGSTER
      line she is in nor why she was a witness. The bride had her
      step-brother present but the groom didn't have any of his many
      relatives as witness which we find intriguing.

      If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

      --
      Best wishes

      Ray

      From Ray Hennessy
      Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net
      Preferred Email address: ray@...
      Hints for Scotland's People at http://bit.ly/WIAN-SCP
    • William E. Scheyer
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 21, 2009
        Ray:

        Thanks for the tip about attachments. I shall post file(s) separately and
        refer to the file(s) in the text of future postings to the list.

        I hope Angela will be able to answer your questions Agnes Sangster.

        Regards,

        Bill
        > This is very exciting! Unfortunately I didn't receive the
        attachment with your post. Could you please try again? I am
        not sure if you can send attachments to the group. Perhaps
        you need to send it directly to my personal email address.

        > I am descended from Mary Sangster's daughter, Mary
        Ann Florence. Mary Ann had 13 children so there are a
        lot of us from that line!

        Hi Angela & Bill

        These Lists strip out all attachments and forward messages in
        plain text so formatting is lost too [e.g. bold text comes out plain].
        Attachments have to be sent off-List.

        I am writing because I am trying to find an Agnes SANGSTER.
        She was a witness at Sheena's grandparents' wedding in Ellon
        in 1893. We haven't been able to work out which SANGSTER
        line she is in nor why she was a witness. The bride had her
        step-brother present but the groom didn't have any of his many
        relatives as witness which we find intriguing.

        If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

        --
        Best wishes

        Ray

        From Ray Hennessy
        Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net
        Preferred Email address: ray@...
        Hints for Scotland's People at http://bit.ly/WIAN-SCP
      • Mary Barnes
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 22, 2009
          Hi William, Angela, Ray,

          I have been reading your postings with interest, and wondering if your
          Davidsons are related to mine.

          My great great grandmother was Janet Davidson, born about 1794 in
          Crimond, daughter of William Davidson and Janet Crighton or Creighton.
          I know nothing about Janet's parents other than their names. In
          Peterhead in 1817, Janet had an illegitimate daughter Mary Ann
          McConnel, to a seaman James McConnel, who appears to have abandoned
          her. He left Peterhead before the baby's birth and did not return. The
          minutes of the kirk session for 1817 and 1819 recount the history of
          this event and Janet's humiliation. Janet later married Robert Stephen
          in 1822 and their first child, Jane Stephen, born 1824, was my great
          grandmother.

          Your records show links between the Davidson and Stephen families, and
          the names William, Robert and Alexander were all common names in my
          family, so it seems possible that your Davidsons and mine are related.
          Have you any indication of how? I have so far been unable to find
          details of Janet's baptism or her parents' marriage on Scotland's
          People.

          Mary Barnes
        • pleslie23
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 24, 2009
            Hello Mary;
            My Davidson was Jean, a great great grandmother. Her daughter was Janet Walker, my great grandmother. I am sure that these Davidsons are all related somewhere. If some of us could make a giant family tree we would see how they are related.
            Jean Davidson. Born 1827 in Peterhead. Died Jul 1905 in Peterhead.
            Janet Walker. Born 1847. Died 28 Apr 1925 in Peterhead.
            Regards
            William Leslie

            -- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Mary Barnes <marysb@...> wrote:

            > Hi William, Angela, Ray,
            >
            > I have been reading your postings with interest, and wondering if your
            > Davidsons are related to mine.
            >
            > My great great grandmother was Janet Davidson, born about 1794 in
            > Crimond, daughter of William Davidson and Janet Crighton or Creighton.
            > I know nothing about Janet's parents other than their names. In
            > Peterhead in 1817, Janet had an illegitimate daughter Mary Ann
            > McConnel, to a seaman James McConnel, who appears to have abandoned
            > her. He left Peterhead before the baby's birth and did not return. The
            > minutes of the kirk session for 1817 and 1819 recount the history of
            > this event and Janet's humiliation. Janet later married Robert Stephen
            > in 1822 and their first child, Jane Stephen, born 1824, was my great
            > grandmother.
            >
            > Your records show links between the Davidson and Stephen families, and
            > the names William, Robert and Alexander were all common names in my
            > family, so it seems possible that your Davidsons and mine are related.
            > Have you any indication of how? I have so far been unable to find
            > details of Janet's baptism or her parents' marriage on Scotland's
            > People.
            >
            > Mary Barnes

          • William E. Scheyer
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 26, 2009
              Mary:

              I sorry to say I that I have not established the link between our families
              but, that does not mean a link does not exist. Several people are
              researching Robert Davidson (I think there were several) so I forwarded your
              e-mail to Fionnadh who may be able to help both you and I.

              Best Wishes,

              Bill

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 4, 2009
                For : William Leslie

                William, Do you have any more details about Robert Davidson & Ann
                Bruce ?

                I have a particular interest in Peterhead
                shipmasters and would be grateful for any details you could give me on
                your ancestors (Robert DAvidson & Ann Bruce).

                Alex. Ritchie

                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "William Leslie" <william.leslie@...>
                wrote:

                > Hello;
                > I also have Davidson's in my Peterhead Family Tree.
                >
                > 2. Ann Bruce. Born 1801 in Peterhead. Died 1880 in Peterhead. MY GREAT
                > GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS
                >
                > She married Robert Davidson, 28 Oct 1821. Occupation Shipmaster.
                >
                > They had the following children:
                >
                > 3 i. Jean Davidson
                >

                > I am convinced that if you could make a big enough Family Tree of all
                the
                > residents of Peterhead, that it would show that they are all related
                > somewhere.
                >

                > William Leslie

                Australia.

                > Mary died on 5 February 1898 in Victoria. She has many descendants
                > in Australia.
                >
                > Regards from your Aussie cousin,
                >
                > Angela Patterson
                >

                > On 19/08/2009, at 10:51 AM, william_scheyer wrote:
                >
                > > Hello from the USA.
                > >
                > > My great great grandfather was Captain Robert Davidson born in
                > > Peterhead on October 28, 1840 and past away on January 12, 1904 in
                > > Dundee.
                > >
                > > During his life, he captained many whaling ships such as the "Polar
                > > Star" and "Diana" and was the Captain of the "Diana" during the
                > > Dundee Antarctic Expedition of 1892-93.
                > >
                > > I am interested in finding sketches and/or photographs of him and
                > > one of his ships named the "polar Star" as well as any living
                > > decendants of his.
                > >
                > > Thank you.
                > >
                > > W. Scheyer
                > >
                > > wscheyer@...

              • William Leslie
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 4, 2009
                  Hello Alex Ritchie;
                  The only information I have is the family tree chart which I could send you. This also includes my great grandfather James Rankin who was a mariner and for whom I have some information. I would be happy to find more information about James Rankin's seagoing career. Contact me at william.leslie@sympatico and I will send you the family tree chart.