Re: [Peterhead] Captain Robert Davidson

  • William Leslie
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 20, 2009
      Hello;
      I also have Davidson's in my Peterhead Family Tree.

      2. Ann Bruce. Born 1801 in Peterhead. Died 1880 in Peterhead. MY GREAT
      GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS

      She married Robert Davidson, 28 Oct 1821. Occupation Shipmaster.

      They had the following children:

      3 i. Jean Davidson

      I am convinced that if you could make a big enough Family Tree of all the
      residents of Peterhead, that it would show that they are all related
      somewhere.

      William Leslie

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 20, 2009
        Hello;
        I also have Davidson's in my Peterhead Family Tree.

        Ann Bruce. Born 1801 in Peterhead. Died 1880 in Peterhead. MY GREAT
        Hello;
        I also have Davidson's in my Peterhead Family Tree.

        Ann Bruce. Born 1801 in Peterhead. Died 1880 in Peterhead.
        She married Robert Davidson, 28 Oct 1821. Occupation Shipmaster.GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "william_scheyer" <wscheyer@...> wrote:

        > Dear Cousin Angela:
        >
        > Yes we are in fact related. I have several files about Captain Robert Davidson I'll share with you but, since they are large and numerous it will take several e-mails. Perhaps when others see what we have, we might find more living descendants of Robert Davidson and Mary Sangster.
        >
        > Attached is Robert's obituary and information on his burial lair. Maybe you will recognize some names.
        >
        > Regards from the USA,
        >
        > Cousin Bill

      • Angela Patterson
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 20, 2009
          Dear Bill,

          This is very exciting! Unfortunately I didn't receive the attachment
          with your post. Could you please try again? I am not sure if you
          can send attachments to the group. Perhaps you need to send it
          directly to my personal email address.

          I am descended from Mary Sangster's daughter, Mary Ann Florence.
          Mary Ann had 13 children so there are a lot of us from that line!

          Looking forward to sharing information,

          Regards,

          Angela

          On 20/08/2009, at 9:09 PM, william_scheyer wrote:

          > Dear Cousin Angela:
          >
          > Yes we are in fact related. I have several files about Captain
          > Robert Davidson I'll share with you but, since they are large and
          > numerous it will take several e-mails. Perhaps when others see what
          > we have, we might find more living descendants of Robert Davidson
          > and Mary Sangster.
          >
          > Attached is Robert's obituary and information on his burial lair.
          > Maybe you will recognize some names.
          >
          > Regards from the USA,
          >
          > Cousin Bill

        • Ray Hennessy
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 21, 2009
            2009/8/21 Angela Patterson <atpatter@...> wrote:

            > This is very exciting! Unfortunately I didn't receive the
            attachment with your post. Could you please try again? I am
            not sure if you can send attachments to the group. Perhaps
            you need to send it directly to my personal email address.

            > I am descended from Mary Sangster's daughter, Mary
            Ann Florence. Mary Ann had 13 children so there are a
            lot of us from that line!

            Hi Angela & Bill

            These Lists strip out all attachments and forward messages in
            plain text so formatting is lost too [e.g. bold text comes out plain].
            Attachments have to be sent off-List.

            I am writing because I am trying to find an Agnes SANGSTER.
            She was a witness at Sheena's grandparents' wedding in Ellon
            in 1893. We haven't been able to work out which SANGSTER
            line she is in nor why she was a witness. The bride had her
            step-brother present but the groom didn't have any of his many
            relatives as witness which we find intriguing.

            If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

            --
            Best wishes

            Ray

            From Ray Hennessy
            Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net
            Preferred Email address: ray@...
            Hints for Scotland's People at http://bit.ly/WIAN-SCP
          • William E. Scheyer
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 21, 2009
              Ray:

              Thanks for the tip about attachments. I shall post file(s) separately and
              refer to the file(s) in the text of future postings to the list.

              I hope Angela will be able to answer your questions Agnes Sangster.

              Regards,

              Bill
              > This is very exciting! Unfortunately I didn't receive the
              attachment with your post. Could you please try again? I am
              not sure if you can send attachments to the group. Perhaps
              you need to send it directly to my personal email address.

              > I am descended from Mary Sangster's daughter, Mary
              Ann Florence. Mary Ann had 13 children so there are a
              lot of us from that line!

              Hi Angela & Bill

              These Lists strip out all attachments and forward messages in
              plain text so formatting is lost too [e.g. bold text comes out plain].
              Attachments have to be sent off-List.

              I am writing because I am trying to find an Agnes SANGSTER.
              She was a witness at Sheena's grandparents' wedding in Ellon
              in 1893. We haven't been able to work out which SANGSTER
              line she is in nor why she was a witness. The bride had her
              step-brother present but the groom didn't have any of his many
              relatives as witness which we find intriguing.

              If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

              --
              Best wishes

              Ray

              From Ray Hennessy
              Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net
              Preferred Email address: ray@...
              Hints for Scotland's People at http://bit.ly/WIAN-SCP
            • Mary Barnes
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 22, 2009
                Hi William, Angela, Ray,

                I have been reading your postings with interest, and wondering if your
                Davidsons are related to mine.

                My great great grandmother was Janet Davidson, born about 1794 in
                Crimond, daughter of William Davidson and Janet Crighton or Creighton.
                I know nothing about Janet's parents other than their names. In
                Peterhead in 1817, Janet had an illegitimate daughter Mary Ann
                McConnel, to a seaman James McConnel, who appears to have abandoned
                her. He left Peterhead before the baby's birth and did not return. The
                minutes of the kirk session for 1817 and 1819 recount the history of
                this event and Janet's humiliation. Janet later married Robert Stephen
                in 1822 and their first child, Jane Stephen, born 1824, was my great
                grandmother.

                Your records show links between the Davidson and Stephen families, and
                the names William, Robert and Alexander were all common names in my
                family, so it seems possible that your Davidsons and mine are related.
                Have you any indication of how? I have so far been unable to find
                details of Janet's baptism or her parents' marriage on Scotland's
                People.

                Mary Barnes
              • pleslie23
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 24, 2009
                  Hello Mary;
                  My Davidson was Jean, a great great grandmother. Her daughter was Janet Walker, my great grandmother. I am sure that these Davidsons are all related somewhere. If some of us could make a giant family tree we would see how they are related.
                  Jean Davidson. Born 1827 in Peterhead. Died Jul 1905 in Peterhead.
                  Janet Walker. Born 1847. Died 28 Apr 1925 in Peterhead.
                  Regards
                  William Leslie

                  -- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Mary Barnes <marysb@...> wrote:

                  > Hi William, Angela, Ray,
                  >
                  > I have been reading your postings with interest, and wondering if your
                  > Davidsons are related to mine.
                  >
                  > My great great grandmother was Janet Davidson, born about 1794 in
                  > Crimond, daughter of William Davidson and Janet Crighton or Creighton.
                  > I know nothing about Janet's parents other than their names. In
                  > Peterhead in 1817, Janet had an illegitimate daughter Mary Ann
                  > McConnel, to a seaman James McConnel, who appears to have abandoned
                  > her. He left Peterhead before the baby's birth and did not return. The
                  > minutes of the kirk session for 1817 and 1819 recount the history of
                  > this event and Janet's humiliation. Janet later married Robert Stephen
                  > in 1822 and their first child, Jane Stephen, born 1824, was my great
                  > grandmother.
                  >
                  > Your records show links between the Davidson and Stephen families, and
                  > the names William, Robert and Alexander were all common names in my
                  > family, so it seems possible that your Davidsons and mine are related.
                  > Have you any indication of how? I have so far been unable to find
                  > details of Janet's baptism or her parents' marriage on Scotland's
                  > People.
                  >
                  > Mary Barnes

                • William E. Scheyer
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 26, 2009
                    Mary:

                    I sorry to say I that I have not established the link between our families
                    but, that does not mean a link does not exist. Several people are
                    researching Robert Davidson (I think there were several) so I forwarded your
                    e-mail to Fionnadh who may be able to help both you and I.

                    Best Wishes,

                    Bill

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 4, 2009
                      For : William Leslie

                      William, Do you have any more details about Robert Davidson & Ann
                      Bruce ?

                      I have a particular interest in Peterhead
                      shipmasters and would be grateful for any details you could give me on
                      your ancestors (Robert DAvidson & Ann Bruce).

                      Alex. Ritchie

                      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "William Leslie" <william.leslie@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hello;
                      > I also have Davidson's in my Peterhead Family Tree.
                      >
                      > 2. Ann Bruce. Born 1801 in Peterhead. Died 1880 in Peterhead. MY GREAT
                      > GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS
                      >
                      > She married Robert Davidson, 28 Oct 1821. Occupation Shipmaster.
                      >
                      > They had the following children:
                      >
                      > 3 i. Jean Davidson
                      >

                      > I am convinced that if you could make a big enough Family Tree of all
                      the
                      > residents of Peterhead, that it would show that they are all related
                      > somewhere.
                      >

                      > William Leslie

                    • William Leslie
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 4, 2009
                        Hello Alex Ritchie;
                        The only information I have is the family tree chart which I could send you. This also includes my great grandfather James Rankin who was a mariner and for whom I have some information. I would be happy to find more information about James Rankin's seagoing career. Contact me at william.leslie@sympatico and I will send you the family tree chart.