RE: [Peterhead] Captain Robert Davidson

  • William E. Scheyer
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 20, 2009
      Dear Cousin Angela:

      Yes we are in fact related. I have several files about Captain Robert
      Davidson I'll share with you but, since they are large and numerous it will
      take several e-mails. Perhaps when others see what we have, we might find
      more living descendants of Robert Davidson and Mary Sangster.

      Attached is Robert's obituary and information on his burial lair. Maybe you
      will recognize some names.

      Regards from the USA,

      Cousin Bill

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 20, 2009
          Hello;
          I also have Davidson's in my Peterhead Family Tree.

          2. Ann Bruce. Born 1801 in Peterhead. Died 1880 in Peterhead. MY GREAT
          GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS

          She married Robert Davidson, 28 Oct 1821. Occupation Shipmaster.

          They had the following children:

          3 i. Jean Davidson

          I am convinced that if you could make a big enough Family Tree of all the
          residents of Peterhead, that it would show that they are all related
          somewhere.

          William Leslie

          William, I think we are related! I think your Robert Davidson is the
          first born son of my ggg grandmother, Mary Sangster who migrated to
          Australia in 1861.

          Mary had 4 children. The first, Robert Davidson, was born
          illegitimately in Cruden in 1840. He was the son of Robert Davidson.
          Mary's second son was also illegitimate. He was Alexander Beaton,
          son of James Beaton, blacksmith, and he was born in about 1847 in
          Peterhead. Mary later married James Florence. "Sandy" Beaton came to
          Australia with his mother and 2 sisters, Mary Ann and Jemima Florence
          in 1861 on the "Morning Light".

          Mary's son, Robert, was already married when she migrated to Australia.

          Mary died on 5 February 1898 in Victoria. She has many descendants
          in Australia.

          Regards from your Aussie cousin,

          Angela Patterson

          On 19/08/2009, at 10:51 AM, william_scheyer wrote:

          > Hello from the USA.
          >
          > My great great grandfather was Captain Robert Davidson born in
          > Peterhead on October 28, 1840 and past away on January 12, 1904 in
          > Dundee.
          >
          > During his life, he captained many whaling ships such as the "Polar
          > Star" and "Diana" and was the Captain of the "Diana" during the
          > Dundee Antarctic Expedition of 1892-93.
          >
          > I am interested in finding sketches and/or photographs of him and
          > one of his ships named the "polar Star" as well as any living
          > decendants of his.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > W. Scheyer
          >
          > wscheyer@...

        • pleslie23
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 20, 2009
            Hello;
            I also have Davidson's in my Peterhead Family Tree.

            Ann Bruce. Born 1801 in Peterhead. Died 1880 in Peterhead. MY GREAT
            Hello;
            I also have Davidson's in my Peterhead Family Tree.

            Ann Bruce. Born 1801 in Peterhead. Died 1880 in Peterhead.
            She married Robert Davidson, 28 Oct 1821. Occupation Shipmaster.GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS

            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "william_scheyer" <wscheyer@...> wrote:

            > Dear Cousin Angela:
            >
            > Yes we are in fact related. I have several files about Captain Robert Davidson I'll share with you but, since they are large and numerous it will take several e-mails. Perhaps when others see what we have, we might find more living descendants of Robert Davidson and Mary Sangster.
            >
            > Attached is Robert's obituary and information on his burial lair. Maybe you will recognize some names.
            >
            > Regards from the USA,
            >
            > Cousin Bill

          • Angela Patterson
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 20, 2009
              Dear Bill,

              This is very exciting! Unfortunately I didn't receive the attachment
              with your post. Could you please try again? I am not sure if you
              can send attachments to the group. Perhaps you need to send it
              directly to my personal email address.

              I am descended from Mary Sangster's daughter, Mary Ann Florence.
              Mary Ann had 13 children so there are a lot of us from that line!

              Looking forward to sharing information,

              Regards,

              Angela

              On 20/08/2009, at 9:09 PM, william_scheyer wrote:

              > Dear Cousin Angela:
              >
              > Yes we are in fact related. I have several files about Captain
              > Robert Davidson I'll share with you but, since they are large and
              > numerous it will take several e-mails. Perhaps when others see what
              > we have, we might find more living descendants of Robert Davidson
              > and Mary Sangster.
              >
              > Attached is Robert's obituary and information on his burial lair.
              > Maybe you will recognize some names.
              >
              > Regards from the USA,
              >
              > Cousin Bill

            • Ray Hennessy
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 21, 2009
                2009/8/21 Angela Patterson <atpatter@...> wrote:

                > This is very exciting! Unfortunately I didn't receive the
                attachment with your post. Could you please try again? I am
                not sure if you can send attachments to the group. Perhaps
                you need to send it directly to my personal email address.

                > I am descended from Mary Sangster's daughter, Mary
                Ann Florence. Mary Ann had 13 children so there are a
                lot of us from that line!

                Hi Angela & Bill

                These Lists strip out all attachments and forward messages in
                plain text so formatting is lost too [e.g. bold text comes out plain].
                Attachments have to be sent off-List.

                I am writing because I am trying to find an Agnes SANGSTER.
                She was a witness at Sheena's grandparents' wedding in Ellon
                in 1893. We haven't been able to work out which SANGSTER
                line she is in nor why she was a witness. The bride had her
                step-brother present but the groom didn't have any of his many
                relatives as witness which we find intriguing.

                If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

                --
                Best wishes

                Ray

                From Ray Hennessy
                Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net
                Preferred Email address: ray@...
                Hints for Scotland's People at http://bit.ly/WIAN-SCP
              • William E. Scheyer
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 21, 2009
                  Ray:

                  Thanks for the tip about attachments. I shall post file(s) separately and
                  refer to the file(s) in the text of future postings to the list.

                  I hope Angela will be able to answer your questions Agnes Sangster.

                  Regards,

                  Bill
                  > This is very exciting! Unfortunately I didn't receive the
                  attachment with your post. Could you please try again? I am
                  not sure if you can send attachments to the group. Perhaps
                  you need to send it directly to my personal email address.

                  > I am descended from Mary Sangster's daughter, Mary
                  Ann Florence. Mary Ann had 13 children so there are a
                  lot of us from that line!

                  Hi Angela & Bill

                  These Lists strip out all attachments and forward messages in
                  plain text so formatting is lost too [e.g. bold text comes out plain].
                  Attachments have to be sent off-List.

                  I am writing because I am trying to find an Agnes SANGSTER.
                  She was a witness at Sheena's grandparents' wedding in Ellon
                  in 1893. We haven't been able to work out which SANGSTER
                  line she is in nor why she was a witness. The bride had her
                  step-brother present but the groom didn't have any of his many
                  relatives as witness which we find intriguing.

                  If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

                  --
                  Best wishes

                  Ray

                  From Ray Hennessy
                  Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net
                  Preferred Email address: ray@...
                  Hints for Scotland's People at http://bit.ly/WIAN-SCP
                • Mary Barnes
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 22, 2009
                    Hi William, Angela, Ray,

                    I have been reading your postings with interest, and wondering if your
                    Davidsons are related to mine.

                    My great great grandmother was Janet Davidson, born about 1794 in
                    Crimond, daughter of William Davidson and Janet Crighton or Creighton.
                    I know nothing about Janet's parents other than their names. In
                    Peterhead in 1817, Janet had an illegitimate daughter Mary Ann
                    McConnel, to a seaman James McConnel, who appears to have abandoned
                    her. He left Peterhead before the baby's birth and did not return. The
                    minutes of the kirk session for 1817 and 1819 recount the history of
                    this event and Janet's humiliation. Janet later married Robert Stephen
                    in 1822 and their first child, Jane Stephen, born 1824, was my great
                    grandmother.

                    Your records show links between the Davidson and Stephen families, and
                    the names William, Robert and Alexander were all common names in my
                    family, so it seems possible that your Davidsons and mine are related.
                    Have you any indication of how? I have so far been unable to find
                    details of Janet's baptism or her parents' marriage on Scotland's
                    People.

                    Mary Barnes
                  • pleslie23
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 24, 2009
                      Hello Mary;
                      My Davidson was Jean, a great great grandmother. Her daughter was Janet Walker, my great grandmother. I am sure that these Davidsons are all related somewhere. If some of us could make a giant family tree we would see how they are related.
                      Jean Davidson. Born 1827 in Peterhead. Died Jul 1905 in Peterhead.
                      Janet Walker. Born 1847. Died 28 Apr 1925 in Peterhead.
                      Regards
                      William Leslie

                      -- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Mary Barnes <marysb@...> wrote:

                      > Hi William, Angela, Ray,
                      >
                      > I have been reading your postings with interest, and wondering if your
                      > Davidsons are related to mine.
                      >
                      > My great great grandmother was Janet Davidson, born about 1794 in
                      > Crimond, daughter of William Davidson and Janet Crighton or Creighton.
                      > I know nothing about Janet's parents other than their names. In
                      > Peterhead in 1817, Janet had an illegitimate daughter Mary Ann
                      > McConnel, to a seaman James McConnel, who appears to have abandoned
                      > her. He left Peterhead before the baby's birth and did not return. The
                      > minutes of the kirk session for 1817 and 1819 recount the history of
                      > this event and Janet's humiliation. Janet later married Robert Stephen
                      > in 1822 and their first child, Jane Stephen, born 1824, was my great
                      > grandmother.
                      >
                      > Your records show links between the Davidson and Stephen families, and
                      > the names William, Robert and Alexander were all common names in my
                      > family, so it seems possible that your Davidsons and mine are related.
                      > Have you any indication of how? I have so far been unable to find
                      > details of Janet's baptism or her parents' marriage on Scotland's
                      > People.
                      >
                      > Mary Barnes

                    • William E. Scheyer
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 26, 2009
                        Mary:

                        I sorry to say I that I have not established the link between our families
                        but, that does not mean a link does not exist. Several people are
                        researching Robert Davidson (I think there were several) so I forwarded your
                        e-mail to Fionnadh who may be able to help both you and I.

                        Best Wishes,

                        Bill

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 4 2:46 AM
                          For : William Leslie

                          William, Do you have any more details about Robert Davidson & Ann
                          Bruce ?

                          I have a particular interest in Peterhead
                          shipmasters and would be grateful for any details you could give me on
                          your ancestors (Robert DAvidson & Ann Bruce).

                          Alex. Ritchie

                          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "William Leslie" <william.leslie@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Hello;
                          > I also have Davidson's in my Peterhead Family Tree.
                          >
                          > 2. Ann Bruce. Born 1801 in Peterhead. Died 1880 in Peterhead. MY GREAT
                          > GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS
                          >
                          > She married Robert Davidson, 28 Oct 1821. Occupation Shipmaster.
                          >
                          > They had the following children:
                          >
                          > 3 i. Jean Davidson
                          >

                          > I am convinced that if you could make a big enough Family Tree of all
                          the
                          > residents of Peterhead, that it would show that they are all related
                          > somewhere.
                          >

                          > William Leslie

                        • William Leslie
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 4 6:45 AM
                            Hello Alex Ritchie;
                            The only information I have is the family tree chart which I could send you. This also includes my great grandfather James Rankin who was a mariner and for whom I have some information. I would be happy to find more information about James Rankin's seagoing career. Contact me at william.leslie@sympatico and I will send you the family tree chart.