Re: [Peterhead] Captain Robert Davidson

  • Angela Patterson
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 20, 2009
      Hello from Australia,

      William, I think we are related! I think your Robert Davidson is the
      first born son of my ggg grandmother, Mary Sangster who migrated to
      Australia in 1861.

      Mary had 4 children. The first, Robert Davidson, was born
      illegitimately in Cruden in 1840. He was the son of Robert Davidson.
      Mary's second son was also illegitimate. He was Alexander Beaton,
      son of James Beaton, blacksmith, and he was born in about 1847 in
      Peterhead. Mary later married James Florence. "Sandy" Beaton came to
      Australia with his mother and 2 sisters, Mary Ann and Jemima Florence
      in 1861 on the "Morning Light".

      Mary�s son, Robert, was already married when she migrated to Australia.

      Mary died on 5 February 1898 in Victoria. She has many descendants
      in Australia.

      Regards from your Aussie cousin,

      Angela Patterson

      On 19/08/2009, at 10:51 AM, william_scheyer wrote:

      > Hello from the USA.
      >
      > My great great grandfather was Captain Robert Davidson born in
      > Peterhead on October 28, 1840 and past away on January 12, 1904 in
      > Dundee.
      >
      > During his life, he captained many whaling ships such as the "Polar
      > Star" and "Diana" and was the Captain of the "Diana" during the
      > Dundee Antarctic Expedition of 1892-93.
      >
      > I am interested in finding sketches and/or photographs of him and
      > one of his ships named the "polar Star" as well as any living
      > decendants of his.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > W. Scheyer
      >
      > wscheyer@...

    • William E. Scheyer
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 20, 2009
        Dear Cousin Angela:

        Yes we are in fact related. I have several files about Captain Robert
        Davidson I'll share with you but, since they are large and numerous it will
        take several e-mails. Perhaps when others see what we have, we might find
        more living descendants of Robert Davidson and Mary Sangster.

        Attached is Robert's obituary and information on his burial lair. Maybe you
        will recognize some names.

        Regards from the USA,

        Cousin Bill

        William, I think we are related! I think your Robert Davidson is the
        first born son of my ggg grandmother, Mary Sangster who migrated to
        Australia in 1861.

        Mary had 4 children. The first, Robert Davidson, was born
        illegitimately in Cruden in 1840. He was the son of Robert Davidson.
        Mary's second son was also illegitimate. He was Alexander Beaton,
        son of James Beaton, blacksmith, and he was born in about 1847 in
        Peterhead. Mary later married James Florence. "Sandy" Beaton came to
        Australia with his mother and 2 sisters, Mary Ann and Jemima Florence
        in 1861 on the "Morning Light".

        Mary’s son, Robert, was already married when she migrated to Australia.

        Mary died on 5 February 1898 in Victoria. She has many descendants
        in Australia.

        Regards from your Aussie cousin,

        Angela Patterson

        On 19/08/2009, at 10:51 AM, william_scheyer wrote:

        > Hello from the USA.
        >
        > My great great grandfather was Captain Robert Davidson born in
        > Peterhead on October 28, 1840 and past away on January 12, 1904 in
        > Dundee.
        >
        > During his life, he captained many whaling ships such as the "Polar
        > Star" and "Diana" and was the Captain of the "Diana" during the
        > Dundee Antarctic Expedition of 1892-93.
        >
        > I am interested in finding sketches and/or photographs of him and
        > one of his ships named the "polar Star" as well as any living
        > decendants of his.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > W. Scheyer
        >
        > wscheyer@...

      • william_scheyer

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 20, 2009
            Hello;
            I also have Davidson's in my Peterhead Family Tree.

            2. Ann Bruce. Born 1801 in Peterhead. Died 1880 in Peterhead. MY GREAT
            GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS

            She married Robert Davidson, 28 Oct 1821. Occupation Shipmaster.

            They had the following children:

            3 i. Jean Davidson

            I am convinced that if you could make a big enough Family Tree of all the
            residents of Peterhead, that it would show that they are all related
            somewhere.

            William Leslie

            William, I think we are related! I think your Robert Davidson is the
            first born son of my ggg grandmother, Mary Sangster who migrated to
            Australia in 1861.

            Mary had 4 children. The first, Robert Davidson, was born
            illegitimately in Cruden in 1840. He was the son of Robert Davidson.
            Mary's second son was also illegitimate. He was Alexander Beaton,
            son of James Beaton, blacksmith, and he was born in about 1847 in
            Peterhead. Mary later married James Florence. "Sandy" Beaton came to
            Australia with his mother and 2 sisters, Mary Ann and Jemima Florence
            in 1861 on the "Morning Light".

            Mary's son, Robert, was already married when she migrated to Australia.

            Mary died on 5 February 1898 in Victoria. She has many descendants
            in Australia.

            Regards from your Aussie cousin,

            Angela Patterson

            On 19/08/2009, at 10:51 AM, william_scheyer wrote:

            > Hello from the USA.
            >
            > My great great grandfather was Captain Robert Davidson born in
            > Peterhead on October 28, 1840 and past away on January 12, 1904 in
            > Dundee.
            >
            > During his life, he captained many whaling ships such as the "Polar
            > Star" and "Diana" and was the Captain of the "Diana" during the
            > Dundee Antarctic Expedition of 1892-93.
            >
            > I am interested in finding sketches and/or photographs of him and
            > one of his ships named the "polar Star" as well as any living
            > decendants of his.
            >
            > Thank you.
            >
            > W. Scheyer
            >
            > wscheyer@...

          • pleslie23
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 20, 2009
              Hello;
              I also have Davidson's in my Peterhead Family Tree.

              Ann Bruce. Born 1801 in Peterhead. Died 1880 in Peterhead. MY GREAT
              Hello;
              I also have Davidson's in my Peterhead Family Tree.

              Ann Bruce. Born 1801 in Peterhead. Died 1880 in Peterhead.
              She married Robert Davidson, 28 Oct 1821. Occupation Shipmaster.GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "william_scheyer" <wscheyer@...> wrote:

              > Dear Cousin Angela:
              >
              > Yes we are in fact related. I have several files about Captain Robert Davidson I'll share with you but, since they are large and numerous it will take several e-mails. Perhaps when others see what we have, we might find more living descendants of Robert Davidson and Mary Sangster.
              >
              > Attached is Robert's obituary and information on his burial lair. Maybe you will recognize some names.
              >
              > Regards from the USA,
              >
              > Cousin Bill

            • Angela Patterson
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 20, 2009
                Dear Bill,

                This is very exciting! Unfortunately I didn't receive the attachment
                with your post. Could you please try again? I am not sure if you
                can send attachments to the group. Perhaps you need to send it
                directly to my personal email address.

                I am descended from Mary Sangster's daughter, Mary Ann Florence.
                Mary Ann had 13 children so there are a lot of us from that line!

                Looking forward to sharing information,

                Regards,

                Angela

                On 20/08/2009, at 9:09 PM, william_scheyer wrote:

                > Dear Cousin Angela:
                >
                > Yes we are in fact related. I have several files about Captain
                > Robert Davidson I'll share with you but, since they are large and
                > numerous it will take several e-mails. Perhaps when others see what
                > we have, we might find more living descendants of Robert Davidson
                > and Mary Sangster.
                >
                > Attached is Robert's obituary and information on his burial lair.
                > Maybe you will recognize some names.
                >
                > Regards from the USA,
                >
                > Cousin Bill

              • Ray Hennessy
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 21, 2009
                  2009/8/21 Angela Patterson <atpatter@...> wrote:

                  > This is very exciting! Unfortunately I didn't receive the
                  attachment with your post. Could you please try again? I am
                  not sure if you can send attachments to the group. Perhaps
                  you need to send it directly to my personal email address.

                  > I am descended from Mary Sangster's daughter, Mary
                  Ann Florence. Mary Ann had 13 children so there are a
                  lot of us from that line!

                  Hi Angela & Bill

                  These Lists strip out all attachments and forward messages in
                  plain text so formatting is lost too [e.g. bold text comes out plain].
                  Attachments have to be sent off-List.

                  I am writing because I am trying to find an Agnes SANGSTER.
                  She was a witness at Sheena's grandparents' wedding in Ellon
                  in 1893. We haven't been able to work out which SANGSTER
                  line she is in nor why she was a witness. The bride had her
                  step-brother present but the groom didn't have any of his many
                  relatives as witness which we find intriguing.

                  If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

                  --
                  Best wishes

                  Ray

                  From Ray Hennessy
                  Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net
                  Preferred Email address: ray@...
                  Hints for Scotland's People at http://bit.ly/WIAN-SCP
                • William E. Scheyer
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 21, 2009
                    Ray:

                    Thanks for the tip about attachments. I shall post file(s) separately and
                    refer to the file(s) in the text of future postings to the list.

                    I hope Angela will be able to answer your questions Agnes Sangster.

                    Regards,

                    Bill
                    > This is very exciting! Unfortunately I didn't receive the
                    attachment with your post. Could you please try again? I am
                    not sure if you can send attachments to the group. Perhaps
                    you need to send it directly to my personal email address.

                    > I am descended from Mary Sangster's daughter, Mary
                    Ann Florence. Mary Ann had 13 children so there are a
                    lot of us from that line!

                    Hi Angela & Bill

                    These Lists strip out all attachments and forward messages in
                    plain text so formatting is lost too [e.g. bold text comes out plain].
                    Attachments have to be sent off-List.

                    I am writing because I am trying to find an Agnes SANGSTER.
                    She was a witness at Sheena's grandparents' wedding in Ellon
                    in 1893. We haven't been able to work out which SANGSTER
                    line she is in nor why she was a witness. The bride had her
                    step-brother present but the groom didn't have any of his many
                    relatives as witness which we find intriguing.

                    If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

                    --
                    Best wishes

                    Ray

                    From Ray Hennessy
                    Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net
                    Preferred Email address: ray@...
                    Hints for Scotland's People at http://bit.ly/WIAN-SCP
                  • Mary Barnes
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 22, 2009
                      Hi William, Angela, Ray,

                      I have been reading your postings with interest, and wondering if your
                      Davidsons are related to mine.

                      My great great grandmother was Janet Davidson, born about 1794 in
                      Crimond, daughter of William Davidson and Janet Crighton or Creighton.
                      I know nothing about Janet's parents other than their names. In
                      Peterhead in 1817, Janet had an illegitimate daughter Mary Ann
                      McConnel, to a seaman James McConnel, who appears to have abandoned
                      her. He left Peterhead before the baby's birth and did not return. The
                      minutes of the kirk session for 1817 and 1819 recount the history of
                      this event and Janet's humiliation. Janet later married Robert Stephen
                      in 1822 and their first child, Jane Stephen, born 1824, was my great
                      grandmother.

                      Your records show links between the Davidson and Stephen families, and
                      the names William, Robert and Alexander were all common names in my
                      family, so it seems possible that your Davidsons and mine are related.
                      Have you any indication of how? I have so far been unable to find
                      details of Janet's baptism or her parents' marriage on Scotland's
                      People.

                      Mary Barnes
                    • pleslie23
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 24, 2009
                        Hello Mary;
                        My Davidson was Jean, a great great grandmother. Her daughter was Janet Walker, my great grandmother. I am sure that these Davidsons are all related somewhere. If some of us could make a giant family tree we would see how they are related.
                        Jean Davidson. Born 1827 in Peterhead. Died Jul 1905 in Peterhead.
                        Janet Walker. Born 1847. Died 28 Apr 1925 in Peterhead.
                        Regards
                        William Leslie

                        -- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Mary Barnes <marysb@...> wrote:

                        > Hi William, Angela, Ray,
                        >
                        > I have been reading your postings with interest, and wondering if your
                        > Davidsons are related to mine.
                        >
                        > My great great grandmother was Janet Davidson, born about 1794 in
                        > Crimond, daughter of William Davidson and Janet Crighton or Creighton.
                        > I know nothing about Janet's parents other than their names. In
                        > Peterhead in 1817, Janet had an illegitimate daughter Mary Ann
                        > McConnel, to a seaman James McConnel, who appears to have abandoned
                        > her. He left Peterhead before the baby's birth and did not return. The
                        > minutes of the kirk session for 1817 and 1819 recount the history of
                        > this event and Janet's humiliation. Janet later married Robert Stephen
                        > in 1822 and their first child, Jane Stephen, born 1824, was my great
                        > grandmother.
                        >
                        > Your records show links between the Davidson and Stephen families, and
                        > the names William, Robert and Alexander were all common names in my
                        > family, so it seems possible that your Davidsons and mine are related.
                        > Have you any indication of how? I have so far been unable to find
                        > details of Janet's baptism or her parents' marriage on Scotland's
                        > People.
                        >
                        > Mary Barnes

                      • William E. Scheyer
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 26, 2009
                          Mary:

                          I sorry to say I that I have not established the link between our families
                          but, that does not mean a link does not exist. Several people are
                          researching Robert Davidson (I think there were several) so I forwarded your
                          e-mail to Fionnadh who may be able to help both you and I.

                          Best Wishes,

                          Bill

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 4, 2009
                            For : William Leslie

                            William, Do you have any more details about Robert Davidson & Ann
                            Bruce ?

                            I have a particular interest in Peterhead
                            shipmasters and would be grateful for any details you could give me on
                            your ancestors (Robert DAvidson & Ann Bruce).

                            Alex. Ritchie

                            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "William Leslie" <william.leslie@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Hello;
                            > I also have Davidson's in my Peterhead Family Tree.
                            >
                            > 2. Ann Bruce. Born 1801 in Peterhead. Died 1880 in Peterhead. MY GREAT
                            > GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS
                            >
                            > She married Robert Davidson, 28 Oct 1821. Occupation Shipmaster.
                            >
                            > They had the following children:
                            >
                            > 3 i. Jean Davidson
                            >

                            > I am convinced that if you could make a big enough Family Tree of all
                            the
                            > residents of Peterhead, that it would show that they are all related
                            > somewhere.
                            >

                            > William Leslie

                          • William Leslie
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 4, 2009
                              Hello Alex Ritchie;
                              The only information I have is the family tree chart which I could send you. This also includes my great grandfather James Rankin who was a mariner and for whom I have some information. I would be happy to find more information about James Rankin's seagoing career. Contact me at william.leslie@sympatico and I will send you the family tree chart.