Re: Emmigration of May & Cowe families to Auckland, New Zealand

  • ALISON KENNEDY
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2009
      The following is taken from the East Aberdeenshire Observer, dated Tuesday, January 16, 1886 and I have reproduced the article here in case it is of assistance to anyone else:

      "EMIGRATION TO NEW ZEALAND - On Saturday forenoon over a dozen emigrants left Peterhead for Auckland, New Zealand.  They consist chiefly of two families - those of Mr John May, grocer and fishcurer, Queen Street; and of Mr Alexander Cowe, Roanheads.  A large number of friends assembled at the railway station and wished them a farewell.  The Great Northern Railway Company sent a special saloon carriage to take them to London direct."

      I would add that I have never seen articles, other than this one, reporting on a family emigrating.  Also interesting is the Railway Company sending a special carriage to take them to London.

      Alison

    • Christine Tregonning
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2009
        I am not related to these families but I have found the MAY family arriving
        in Auckland in March 1886. From the IGI the youngest daughter is named
        Paulina. No sign of the COWE family on the same ship.

        Regards,

        Christine

        Auckland Area Passenger Arrivals 1838-1889

        Name

        MAY,

        Vessel

        IONIC: Arrived:Auckland 18 March 1886

        Notes

        Mr

        Name

        MAY,

        Vessel

        IONIC: Arrived:Auckland 18 March 1886

        Notes

        Mrs

        Name

        MAY, Barbara

        Vessel

        IONIC: Arrived:Auckland 18 March 1886

        Notes

        Miss

        Name

        MAY, Eliza

        Vessel

        IONIC: Arrived:Auckland 18 March 1886

        Notes

        Miss

        Name

        MAY, Jessie

        Vessel

        IONIC: Arrived:Auckland 18 March 1886

        Notes

        Miss

        Name

        MAY, John

        Vessel

        IONIC: Arrived:Auckland 18 March 1886

        Name

        MAY, Polini

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2010
          The May family eventually settled in the Wellington region, apparently after exploring/touring New Zealand. The had a farm off Glenside Road, just out of Johnsonville, then had a fishing/fish curing business near Paramata, before John Alexander May set up a grocery in Johnsonville and Jessie ran a drapery.

          More information is available and even the original tickets for the SS Ionic are around.

          Regards

          Ken May

          P.S. Sorry about the delay in responding, but life is good when you're busy!