Re: [Peterhead] 1841 census

  • Ray Hennessy
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
      2009/8/3 margmasson <margmasson@...> wrote:

      > In the 1841 census are the ages rounded up or down. Is this always the case or were there exceptions?

      Hi Marg

      Mary Barnes has replied to you and I agree with her note: Over 15,
      ages should be rounded down to a multiple of 5 as Mary says and this
      is sometimes only a rough guide to actual ages for the reasons Mary
      gave.

      As you don't say what ages you are interested in, I thought you might
      like the rest of the picture.

      Under 15 but older than 1 year, the correct age in years [i.e. last
      birthday] should be recorded. But remember that birthdays weren't
      necessarily celebrated in those days so be prepared for some margin of
      error

      Under 1 year, number of complete months,
      under 1 month, number of complete weeks,
      under 1 week, number of days.
      Being short-term these were likely to be reasonably accurate.

      The Census date was 6 June, 1841.

      --
      Best wishes

      Ray

      From Ray Hennessy
      Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net
      Preferred Email address: ray@...
      Hints for Scotland's People at http://bit.ly/WIAN-SCP
    • Gweneth Myers
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012
        G'day all
        Does anyone know if there was a Marshall Street in Peterhead in 1841?  I have a printout of the census with the family of John McKenzie and it looks like Marshall Street.  I also can't read a house number - I have attached the page in question.  Any help would be appreciated.

        Cheers
        Gweneth Myers
        melbourne Aus.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012
          Hi Gweneth,

          In Peterhead the spelling is Marischal Street and unfortunately the early census didn't always record house numbers.

          That entry just gives Southside of Marischal Street.

          Regards, Wade.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On 05/06/2012, at 1:18 PM, Gweneth Myers <gwenethmyers@...> wrote:

          G'day all
          Does anyone know if there was a Marshall Street in Peterhead in 1841?  I have a printout of the census with the family of John McKenzie and it looks like Marshall Street.  I also can't read a house number - I have attached the page in question.  Any help would be appreciated.

          Cheers
          Gweneth Myers
          melbourne Aus.

          <1841 census Peterhead JohnMcKenzieFamily.pdf>
        • Gweneth Myers
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5, 2012
            Thanks Wade

            Message 5 of 7 , May 23, 2013

              Hi Wade,

              I am just checking to see if I am still on your newsgroup list. The last message I received from the group was on 21/4/13.

              Lyn