Re: [Peterhead] 1841 census

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
      Hi Marg,

      According to the ScotlandsPeople website,
      "Enumerators were instructed to round down the ages of persons 15
      years and over to the nearest five years. Hence a given age of 28
      would be recorded as 25, one of 63 as 60 and so on. If a person lied
      about their age, this, combined with the rounding down, could severely
      distort the actual age. You will find instances where enumerators did
      not adhere to this instruction on age and inserted the given age."

      I have found some census ages, particularly in the 1841 census, quite
      unreliable. The age of one of my ancestors is given as 40 in 1841 and
      60 in 1851. It seems to me likely that he did not give his true age on
      either occasion! Also if the person was an employee, such as a
      domestic servant, the employer would probably have supplied the
      information. Again, the person may have lied to the emplyer about
      their age, or the employer may not have bothered to check actual ages
      when answering the enumerator's questions.

      Mary Barnes

      Mary Barnes
      marysb@...
    • Ray Hennessy
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
        2009/8/3 margmasson <margmasson@...> wrote:

        > In the 1841 census are the ages rounded up or down. Is this always the case or were there exceptions?

        Hi Marg

        Mary Barnes has replied to you and I agree with her note: Over 15,
        ages should be rounded down to a multiple of 5 as Mary says and this
        is sometimes only a rough guide to actual ages for the reasons Mary
        gave.

        As you don't say what ages you are interested in, I thought you might
        like the rest of the picture.

        Under 15 but older than 1 year, the correct age in years [i.e. last
        birthday] should be recorded. But remember that birthdays weren't
        necessarily celebrated in those days so be prepared for some margin of
        error

        Under 1 year, number of complete months,
        under 1 month, number of complete weeks,
        under 1 week, number of days.
        Being short-term these were likely to be reasonably accurate.

        The Census date was 6 June, 1841.

        --
        Best wishes

        Ray

        From Ray Hennessy
        Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net
        Preferred Email address: ray@...
        Hints for Scotland's People at http://bit.ly/WIAN-SCP
      • Gweneth Myers
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012
          G'day all
          Does anyone know if there was a Marshall Street in Peterhead in 1841?  I have a printout of the census with the family of John McKenzie and it looks like Marshall Street.  I also can't read a house number - I have attached the page in question.  Any help would be appreciated.

          Cheers
          Gweneth Myers
          melbourne Aus.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012
            Hi Gweneth,

            In Peterhead the spelling is Marischal Street and unfortunately the early census didn't always record house numbers.

            That entry just gives Southside of Marischal Street.

            Regards, Wade.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On 05/06/2012, at 1:18 PM, Gweneth Myers <gwenethmyers@...> wrote:

            G'day all
            Does anyone know if there was a Marshall Street in Peterhead in 1841?  I have a printout of the census with the family of John McKenzie and it looks like Marshall Street.  I also can't read a house number - I have attached the page in question.  Any help would be appreciated.

            Cheers
            Gweneth Myers
            melbourne Aus.

            <1841 census Peterhead JohnMcKenzieFamily.pdf>
          • Gweneth Myers
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2012
              Thanks Wade

              Message 6 of 7 , May 23, 2013

                Hi Wade,

                I am just checking to see if I am still on your newsgroup list. The last message I received from the group was on 21/4/13.

                Lyn