1841 census

  • margmasson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
      Hello All,
      In the 1841 census are the ages rounded up or down. Is this always the case or were there exceptions?
      Thanking you.
      Marg
    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
        Hi Marg,

        According to the ScotlandsPeople website,
        "Enumerators were instructed to round down the ages of persons 15
        years and over to the nearest five years. Hence a given age of 28
        would be recorded as 25, one of 63 as 60 and so on. If a person lied
        about their age, this, combined with the rounding down, could severely
        distort the actual age. You will find instances where enumerators did
        not adhere to this instruction on age and inserted the given age."

        I have found some census ages, particularly in the 1841 census, quite
        unreliable. The age of one of my ancestors is given as 40 in 1841 and
        60 in 1851. It seems to me likely that he did not give his true age on
        either occasion! Also if the person was an employee, such as a
        domestic servant, the employer would probably have supplied the
        information. Again, the person may have lied to the emplyer about
        their age, or the employer may not have bothered to check actual ages
        when answering the enumerator's questions.

        Mary Barnes

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...
      • Ray Hennessy
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
          2009/8/3 margmasson <margmasson@...> wrote:

          > In the 1841 census are the ages rounded up or down. Is this always the case or were there exceptions?

          Hi Marg

          Mary Barnes has replied to you and I agree with her note: Over 15,
          ages should be rounded down to a multiple of 5 as Mary says and this
          is sometimes only a rough guide to actual ages for the reasons Mary
          gave.

          As you don't say what ages you are interested in, I thought you might
          like the rest of the picture.

          Under 15 but older than 1 year, the correct age in years [i.e. last
          birthday] should be recorded. But remember that birthdays weren't
          necessarily celebrated in those days so be prepared for some margin of
          error

          Under 1 year, number of complete months,
          under 1 month, number of complete weeks,
          under 1 week, number of days.
          Being short-term these were likely to be reasonably accurate.

          The Census date was 6 June, 1841.

          --
          Best wishes

          Ray

          From Ray Hennessy
          Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net
          Preferred Email address: ray@...
          Hints for Scotland's People at http://bit.ly/WIAN-SCP
        • Gweneth Myers
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012
            G'day all
            Does anyone know if there was a Marshall Street in Peterhead in 1841?  I have a printout of the census with the family of John McKenzie and it looks like Marshall Street.  I also can't read a house number - I have attached the page in question.  Any help would be appreciated.

            Cheers
            Gweneth Myers
            melbourne Aus.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012
              Hi Gweneth,

              In Peterhead the spelling is Marischal Street and unfortunately the early census didn't always record house numbers.

              That entry just gives Southside of Marischal Street.

              Regards, Wade.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On 05/06/2012, at 1:18 PM, Gweneth Myers <gwenethmyers@...> wrote:

              G'day all
              Does anyone know if there was a Marshall Street in Peterhead in 1841?  I have a printout of the census with the family of John McKenzie and it looks like Marshall Street.  I also can't read a house number - I have attached the page in question.  Any help would be appreciated.

              Cheers
              Gweneth Myers
              melbourne Aus.

              <1841 census Peterhead JohnMcKenzieFamily.pdf>
            • Gweneth Myers
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 5, 2012
                Thanks Wade

                Message 7 of 7 , May 23, 2013

                  Hi Wade,

                  I am just checking to see if I am still on your newsgroup list. The last message I received from the group was on 21/4/13.

                  Lyn