Re: [Peterhead] Minister at St Fergus Church

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2009
      Hi Thomas,

      I presume that by "St Fergus church, Peterhead" you mean the church in
      the village of St Fergus, near Peterhead. I have just received from
      the Family History Society of Buchan a copy of the book "St Fergus
      Past and Present" by Helen Birnie and Sheila Jessiman. It has a
      chapter on the church, and I searched through it for mention of your
      ancestor, but could not find his name anywhere. The book records that
      Rev. James Mitchell was minister from 1854-94 and his son-in-law Alex
      Watt was minister from 1895-1946. I searched for mention of ministers
      of other denominations than Church of Scotland, but could not find
      anything. It seems possible that your ancestor may have belonged to
      one of the secessionist groups that existed after the disruption of
      1843, but few details of these are given. There is a paragraph on the
      United Free church at Sheilhill (close to St Fergus), but no mention
      of a James Strachan. Likewise, no James Strachan is mentioned in the
      paragraph on "Other Denominations". Might your ancestor have been an
      assistant minister at the time? I don't know if they had them in St
      Fergus, however.

      Sorry not to have been of much help. I too am frustrated in my attempt
      to find out about ancestors from St Fergus.

      Best wishes in your search,

      Mary Barnes

      Mary Barnes
      marysb@...
    • graceb23
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
        Thomas

        I can't help you on the Buchan Observer but another resource to try is the Aberdeenshire County Library headquarters in Oldmeldrum. Also try searching on Google. I found the following:

        James Strachan [Strahan], was born 1st May 1863 Fyvie, the son of John Strachan. He was appointed as the Minister of the Free Church of St Fergus as Mary already mentioned in a previous response, located in Shielhill, in about 1893. He was much published. He attended Aberdeen University as did his brother Dr Robert Strachan, b 4 April 1864, Fyvie & later of Wilson College, Bombay.

        http://books.google.com/books?id=oSUBAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA528&dq=Dr+Robert+harvey+Strachan+aberdeen&client=safari#v=onepage&q=&f=false

        Your James Strachan's appointment appears to have been reported in the Aberdeen Weekly Journal Wednesday, April 23, 1890; Issue 10987. There appears to have been an Action for Slander against him while he was at St Fergus in 1893/1894 much reported in the Aberdeen Weekly Journal. Try the Aberdeen City Library for copies of this. However, a faster route would be to try the British Newspapers database 1800-1900 - available free in the UK via a University library. Depending where you are located, also available via your local LDS family History Centre or online for a small day fee via Gale Databases online http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/start.do.

        There is a book called "The county of Aberdeen" By Henry Hamilton pg 304 which mentions the Free Church at Sheilhill. A Preview version is on Google Books.

        In 1903 James Strachan was appointed the minister at Belgrave Presbyterian Church in London. He eventually became Professor of Hebrew at Magee College in Londonderry where he died 1926. So lots more areas for research.

        Last but not least, as he attended Aberdeen University, the Aberdeen University Review v. 13-14 - published 1926 - has a write up on him on pg 288. He is also mentioned in the 1938 edition.

        http://books.google.com/books?id=Eu1NAAAAMAAJ&dq=professor+james+strachan%22+st+fergus+free+church&lr=&client=safari

        Good Luck!
        Charlotte
      • Thomaswaskett@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
          Thank you Charlotte. I do already have a lot of information about James
          Strachan. It was this 'action for slander' which caused him much distress, as
          recorded in his diary, that I wanted to get more information about. I will
          access the British Library newspaper through my nearest university.

          Thomas