Re: [Peterhead] Minister at St Fergus Church

  • Thomaswaskett@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
      Thanks Anne

      I may be able to visit Peterhead next year. Are the Buchan Observer
      archives also held in Edinburgh or London?

      Thomas

    • Anne Allan
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
        I googled The National Library of Scotland and it seems to have some
        entries, but not much detail. You could try contacting them. Not sure
        about London.

        Anne

        Thomaswaskett@... wrote:

        > Thanks Anne
        >
        > I may be able to visit Peterhead next year. Are the Buchan Observer
        > archives also held in Edinburgh or London?
        >
        > Thomas

      • Mary Barnes
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2009
          Hi Thomas,

          I presume that by "St Fergus church, Peterhead" you mean the church in
          the village of St Fergus, near Peterhead. I have just received from
          the Family History Society of Buchan a copy of the book "St Fergus
          Past and Present" by Helen Birnie and Sheila Jessiman. It has a
          chapter on the church, and I searched through it for mention of your
          ancestor, but could not find his name anywhere. The book records that
          Rev. James Mitchell was minister from 1854-94 and his son-in-law Alex
          Watt was minister from 1895-1946. I searched for mention of ministers
          of other denominations than Church of Scotland, but could not find
          anything. It seems possible that your ancestor may have belonged to
          one of the secessionist groups that existed after the disruption of
          1843, but few details of these are given. There is a paragraph on the
          United Free church at Sheilhill (close to St Fergus), but no mention
          of a James Strachan. Likewise, no James Strachan is mentioned in the
          paragraph on "Other Denominations". Might your ancestor have been an
          assistant minister at the time? I don't know if they had them in St
          Fergus, however.

          Sorry not to have been of much help. I too am frustrated in my attempt
          to find out about ancestors from St Fergus.

          Best wishes in your search,

          Mary Barnes

          Mary Barnes
          marysb@...
        • graceb23
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
            Thomas

            I can't help you on the Buchan Observer but another resource to try is the Aberdeenshire County Library headquarters in Oldmeldrum. Also try searching on Google. I found the following:

            James Strachan [Strahan], was born 1st May 1863 Fyvie, the son of John Strachan. He was appointed as the Minister of the Free Church of St Fergus as Mary already mentioned in a previous response, located in Shielhill, in about 1893. He was much published. He attended Aberdeen University as did his brother Dr Robert Strachan, b 4 April 1864, Fyvie & later of Wilson College, Bombay.

            http://books.google.com/books?id=oSUBAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA528&dq=Dr+Robert+harvey+Strachan+aberdeen&client=safari#v=onepage&q=&f=false

            Your James Strachan's appointment appears to have been reported in the Aberdeen Weekly Journal Wednesday, April 23, 1890; Issue 10987. There appears to have been an Action for Slander against him while he was at St Fergus in 1893/1894 much reported in the Aberdeen Weekly Journal. Try the Aberdeen City Library for copies of this. However, a faster route would be to try the British Newspapers database 1800-1900 - available free in the UK via a University library. Depending where you are located, also available via your local LDS family History Centre or online for a small day fee via Gale Databases online http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/start.do.

            There is a book called "The county of Aberdeen" By Henry Hamilton pg 304 which mentions the Free Church at Sheilhill. A Preview version is on Google Books.

            In 1903 James Strachan was appointed the minister at Belgrave Presbyterian Church in London. He eventually became Professor of Hebrew at Magee College in Londonderry where he died 1926. So lots more areas for research.

            Last but not least, as he attended Aberdeen University, the Aberdeen University Review v. 13-14 - published 1926 - has a write up on him on pg 288. He is also mentioned in the 1938 edition.

            http://books.google.com/books?id=Eu1NAAAAMAAJ&dq=professor+james+strachan%22+st+fergus+free+church&lr=&client=safari

            Good Luck!
            Charlotte
          • Thomaswaskett@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
              Thank you Charlotte. I do already have a lot of information about James
              Strachan. It was this 'action for slander' which caused him much distress, as
              recorded in his diary, that I wanted to get more information about. I will
              access the British Library newspaper through my nearest university.

              Thomas