Re: [Peterhead] Re: Barclay / Birnie

  • Kenmalley4@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2009
      Not sure if this is the same couple :
      Alfred Barclay b. c1849 no other details, but wed 24 Oct 1869 Peterhead
      to Margaret Birnie b. 3 Oct 1869 Peterhead d. 21 Feb 1913 Middlesburgh Now
      her parents Alexander Birnie b.16 Aug 1816 Pitsligo & Maria Ann Moir Scott
      b. 23 Aug 1818 Peterhead
      regards Kenny

    • Anne Allan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
        If this is the right couple, then they are buried in St Peter's
        Churchyard in Peterhead. Lair E174

        Maria Ann Moir Scott died 1st March 1850 and Alexander Birnie died 3rd
        December 1867. You will be able to get Alexanders death certificate
        from Scotland's People, which will give you his parents.
        Scotlands People have now got some earlier existing death records
        online, but they do not cover many areas, and the information on them is
        very scanty - sometimes the name of the deceased is not given. It may
        be worth trying a search though.

        There are several Birnie graves in this part of the churchyard, so it
        may be that they are all related in some way.
        Hope this helps.

        Anne

        Kenmalley4@... wrote:

        > Not sure if this is the same couple :
        > Alfred Barclay b. c1849 no other details, but wed 24 Oct 1869 Peterhead
        > to Margaret Birnie b. 3 Oct 1869 Peterhead d. 21 Feb 1913 Middlesburgh
        > Now
        > her parents Alexander Birnie b.16 Aug 1816 Pitsligo & Maria Ann Moir
        > Scott
        > b. 23 Aug 1818 Peterhead
        > regards Kenny

      • June
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 9, 2009
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "thevarleys" <thevarleys@...> wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > My name is Rob Varly and new to the group. I was born and bred in Middlesbrough and now living in Switzerland. I am looking to trace parts of my family tree which appear to have roots in Peterhead. As the obvious online sources have dried up I am now turning to any local groups, which may be able to help fill in some gaps.
          >
          > So far I have traced Alfred Barclay (Shipmaster, b. 1850) and Margaret Barclay (nee Birnie, b. 1849) to Peterhead in 1881. They appear have been married in 1869 in Peterhead but I am now trying to take step further back.
          >
          > Margaret's parents appear to have been John Birnie (b. 1814) and Dorothia (maiden name unknown, b. 1816) - both of Peterhead. Any help confirming John and Dorothia's parentage would very appreciated.
          >

          > For Alfred Barclay it is stated in the census that he was born in England, but other sources state Peterhead and suspect that he might actully also be of Peterhead descent (Maybe of Alexander Barlclay (b.?) b.? and ? Scott. Alexander may also have been a maritimer). Again any help with any of these issues would be gratefully received.
          >
          > Best regards in advance
          > Robert

          Hi Robert
          I can add a few more details for you re your ancestors - I have them on my tree. Contact me at cardno1948@... and I will send you the gedcom or access to my online tree / which ever you prefer.