Re: Barclay / Birnie

  • scotnel4
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "thevarleys" <thevarleys@...> wrote:

      > Hi there,
      >
      > My name is Rob Varly and new to the group. I was born and bred in Middlesbrough and now living in Switzerland. I am looking to trace parts of my family tree which appear to have roots in Peterhead. As the obvious online sources have dried up I am now turning to any local groups, which may be able to help fill in some gaps.
      >
      > So far I have traced Alfred Barclay (Shipmaster, b. 1850) and Margaret Barclay (nee Birnie, b. 1849) to Peterhead in 1881. They appear have been married in 1869 in Peterhead but I am now trying to take step further back.
      >
      > Margaret's parents appear to have been John Birnie (b. 1814) and Dorothia (maiden name unknown, b. 1816) - both of Peterhead. Any help confirming John and Dorothia's parentage would very appreciated.
      >
      > For Alfred Barclay it is stated in the census that he was born in England, but other sources state Peterhead and suspect that he might actully also be of Peterhead descent (Maybe of Alexander Barlclay (b.?) b.? and ? Scott. Alexander may also have been a maritimer). Again any help with any of these issues would be gratefully received.
      >
      > Best regards in advance
      > Robert
      >This looks like John and Dorothy's marriage from the IGI.

      JOHN BIRNIE Pedigree

      Spouse: DOROTHY WHYTE
      Marriage: 01 JAN 1839 Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland

      They can be found in 1851 at FREECEN -
      http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

      Regards,
      Nel
    • Anne Allan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
        Hi Rob

        This looks like it could be the gravestone of John and Dorothea in St
        Peter's Churchyard.
        ......Also in memory of Dorothea Whyte wife of the said John Birnie,
        merchant who died the 29th December 1873 aged 58 years. Also in memory
        of the said John Birnie, merchant who died the 7th July 1881 aged 66 years.

        The 1881 Census has:
        Dwelling: 1 Chapel Street, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland

        Marr Age Sex Birthplace
        John (Senr.) BIRNIE W 64 M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Head
        Occ: Draper
        John (Jr.) BIRNIE U 34 M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Son
        Occ: Draper
        Maggie B. ADAMS U 12 F Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Adopted Daut
        Occ: Scholar
        Jane SCOTT U 25 F Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Serv
        Occ: Housekeeper

        Since they both died after 1855, you will be able to get their death
        certificates from the Scotland's People website. That will give you
        their parents names

        Anne

        Family History Society of Buchan
        www.fhsb.org.uk

        "

        scotnel4 wrote:

        > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "thevarleys" <thevarleys@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi there,
        > >
        > > My name is Rob Varly and new to the group. I was born and bred in
        > Middlesbrough and now living in Switzerland. I am looking to trace
        > parts of my family tree which appear to have roots in Peterhead. As
        > the obvious online sources have dried up I am now turning to any local
        > groups, which may be able to help fill in some gaps.
        > >
        > > So far I have traced Alfred Barclay (Shipmaster, b. 1850) and
        > Margaret Barclay (nee Birnie, b. 1849) to Peterhead in 1881. They
        > appear have been married in 1869 in Peterhead but I am now trying to
        > take step further back.
        > >
        > > Margaret's parents appear to have been John Birnie (b. 1814) and
        > Dorothia (maiden name unknown, b. 1816) - both of Peterhead. Any help
        > confirming John and Dorothia's parentage would very appreciated.
        > >
        > > For Alfred Barclay it is stated in the census that he was born in
        > England, but other sources state Peterhead and suspect that he might
        > actully also be of Peterhead descent (Maybe of Alexander Barlclay
        > (b.?) b.? and ? Scott. Alexander may also have been a maritimer).
        > Again any help with any of these issues would be gratefully received.
        > >
        > > Best regards in advance
        > > Robert
        > >This looks like John and Dorothy's marriage from the IGI.
        >
        > JOHN BIRNIE Pedigree
        >
        > Spouse: DOROTHY WHYTE
        > Marriage: 01 JAN 1839 Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
        >
        > They can be found in 1851 at FREECEN -
        > http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
        > <http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl>
        >
        > Regards,
        > Nel

      • Cci
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
          Hi Robert,
          Scotlandspeople is the place to look for records and after 1855 the records have great detail and ifo on them.
          For about 6 pound you get 30 credits and it only takes 6 to get the image and print if off of marrages and births with the parents names.

          Here's yours. The image is very faint.

          1869 Peterhead
          Alfred Barclay, Sailmaker age 20, Lodge Walk.
          mother Margaret Barclay (no fathers name entered)
          witness Alexander Barclay

          Margaret Birnie age 21, Longate
          father Alexander Birnie (looks like Merchant) dead
          mother Mary Ann ??? Nrinie ms Scott, dead
          witness ?? Rennie

          On the Free England Birth Marriage and Death records there was an Alfred Thomas Barclay born 1845 in St Thomas Devon might be him might not.

          Best wishes,
          Catherine

        • Kenmalley4@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2009
            Not sure if this is the same couple :
            Alfred Barclay b. c1849 no other details, but wed 24 Oct 1869 Peterhead
            to Margaret Birnie b. 3 Oct 1869 Peterhead d. 21 Feb 1913 Middlesburgh Now
            her parents Alexander Birnie b.16 Aug 1816 Pitsligo & Maria Ann Moir Scott
            b. 23 Aug 1818 Peterhead
            regards Kenny

          • Anne Allan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
              If this is the right couple, then they are buried in St Peter's
              Churchyard in Peterhead. Lair E174

              Maria Ann Moir Scott died 1st March 1850 and Alexander Birnie died 3rd
              December 1867. You will be able to get Alexanders death certificate
              from Scotland's People, which will give you his parents.
              Scotlands People have now got some earlier existing death records
              online, but they do not cover many areas, and the information on them is
              very scanty - sometimes the name of the deceased is not given. It may
              be worth trying a search though.

              There are several Birnie graves in this part of the churchyard, so it
              may be that they are all related in some way.
              Hope this helps.

              Anne

              Kenmalley4@... wrote:

              > Not sure if this is the same couple :
              > Alfred Barclay b. c1849 no other details, but wed 24 Oct 1869 Peterhead
              > to Margaret Birnie b. 3 Oct 1869 Peterhead d. 21 Feb 1913 Middlesburgh
              > Now
              > her parents Alexander Birnie b.16 Aug 1816 Pitsligo & Maria Ann Moir
              > Scott
              > b. 23 Aug 1818 Peterhead
              > regards Kenny

            • June
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 9, 2009
                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "thevarleys" <thevarleys@...> wrote:

                > Hi there,
                >
                > My name is Rob Varly and new to the group. I was born and bred in Middlesbrough and now living in Switzerland. I am looking to trace parts of my family tree which appear to have roots in Peterhead. As the obvious online sources have dried up I am now turning to any local groups, which may be able to help fill in some gaps.
                >
                > So far I have traced Alfred Barclay (Shipmaster, b. 1850) and Margaret Barclay (nee Birnie, b. 1849) to Peterhead in 1881. They appear have been married in 1869 in Peterhead but I am now trying to take step further back.
                >
                > Margaret's parents appear to have been John Birnie (b. 1814) and Dorothia (maiden name unknown, b. 1816) - both of Peterhead. Any help confirming John and Dorothia's parentage would very appreciated.
                >

                > For Alfred Barclay it is stated in the census that he was born in England, but other sources state Peterhead and suspect that he might actully also be of Peterhead descent (Maybe of Alexander Barlclay (b.?) b.? and ? Scott. Alexander may also have been a maritimer). Again any help with any of these issues would be gratefully received.
                >
                > Best regards in advance
                > Robert

                Hi Robert
                I can add a few more details for you re your ancestors - I have them on my tree. Contact me at cardno1948@... and I will send you the gedcom or access to my online tree / which ever you prefer.