Re: [Peterhead] help

  • Anne Allan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2009
      Ken

      I think this is maybe him buried in St Peter's Cemetery. The CD
      published by the Family History Society of Buchan has two lairs with
      Rankins in section E.

      Names are James Rankin, Janet Rankin, Alexander B Rankin, Thomas Rankin,
      Agnes Janet Rankin on one stone and James, Jane, Martha Thomas and
      Andrew Ramkin on the other. Seem to be three generations mentioned.

      The CD has photographs of the stones, and is available from the Society
      - www.fhsb.org.uk.

      Anne

      Kenmalley4@... wrote:

      > I wonder if any body can help my friend with the following
      > regards
      > Kenny
      >
      > My great great grandfather James Rankin born 1845, died 1921, Roanheads,
      > Peterhead. Was a seaman. The only information I have of him is as a
      > Fisherman at age 35. See Below.
      >

      > SHIPS IN PORT IN SCOTLAND 1881 - SHETLAND ISLES
      > Ships at Lerwick. Zetland, Scotland
      > Vessel: "Sunrise"
      > William MACLEAN M 37 M Peterhead, Aberdeen,
      > Scotland Fisherman
      > James RANKIN M 35 M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
      > Fisherman
      > Would you know where I might find more information? I believe he was a
      > Captain in his later years.

    • William Leslie
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 28, 2009
        Hello Anne and Ken;
        Thank you for your help to date. I have some information on the Rankins but I was hoping to find some Marine information. I know the stone you describe very well, I have visited it several times and had it refurbished in 2003. I even have a photograph of James and Janet Rankin.
        I have on this one piece of information of James Rankin as a Fisherman on the Sunrise in 1881. I am hoping to find more information about his sailing career. I believe that he was eventually a Master.
        Thanks of your help.
        William Leslie

        Kenmalley4@... wrote:

        > I wonder if any body can help my friend with the following
        > regards
        > Kenny
        >
        > My great great grandfather James Rankin born 1845, died 1921, Roanheads,
        > Peterhead. Was a seaman. The only information I have of him is as a
        > Fisherman at age 35. See Below.
        >

        > SHIPS IN PORT IN SCOTLAND 1881 - SHETLAND ISLES
        > Ships at Lerwick. Zetland, Scotland
        > Vessel: "Sunrise"
        > William MACLEAN M 37 M Peterhead, Aberdeen,
        > Scotland Fisherman
        > James RANKIN M 35 M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
        > Fisherman
        > Would you know where I might find more information? I believe he was a
        > Captain in his later years.

      • Jean Cameron
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 28, 2009
          Hello Kenny: I found the information below for Rankin:

          IGI: James born Oct. 4,and christened Oct. 18, 1845 at Peterhead. Parents Thomas Rankin and Martha Robertson. On the 1851 he is shown in Peterhead with parents and older brother William 10 living on Ellis Street. ED9, household 60, line 5, CSSCT 1851-50.

          Hope that helps.

          Jean Cameron
          California

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 29, 2009
            Thank you for this information. I was hoping to get some information on James Rankin's career as a seaman.
            Regards
            William