Peterhead site at user.bigpond.net

  • haworth.jill
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27 6:46 PM
      On the Seaman's List, compiled by Wade Buchan, I recently saw a "John Slessor, b- 1816, Peterhead.
      His ticket no. is 114212. How can I find further information about this person. This could be my great-great grandfather.
      Jill
    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2009
        On 28/05/2009, at 11:46 AM, haworth.jill wrote:

        > On the Seaman's List, compiled by Wade Buchan, I recently saw a
        > "John Slessor, b- 1816, Peterhead.
        > His ticket no. is 114212. How can I find further information about
        > this person. This could be my great-great grandfather.
        > Jill

        Hi Jill,

        Nobody else seems to have replied to your query, so I'll do my best,
        but I can't help much. You could start by contacting Wade Buchan and
        asking if he can provide a copy of your ancestor's seaman's ticket. He
        sent me my great-grandfather's. It gives such information as
        birthplace, birthdate, physical description (height, complexion,
        colour of hair, colour of eyes), whether or not he can write, when he
        first went to sea, and where he lives when not at sea.

        Records of ordinary merchant seamen seem to be scarce and hard to
        find. many have been destroyed or lost. A lot of records about
        shipping and seamen are stored at the Maritime History Archive,
        Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John's, Newfoundland (e-mail: mha@...
        ). Since you appear to be from Canada, this may be a good place for
        you to start.

        The best source I have found for researching British merchant seamen
        is a small book or pamphlet (84 pages) with the title "My ancestor was
        a merchant seaman : how can I find out more about him?" by Christopher
        T. Watts and Michael J. Watts. Published in London by the Society of
        Genealogists, 1991.

        There's also a slightly bigger book (131 pages) "Records of merchant
        shipping and seamen" by Kelvin Smith, Christopher T. Watts and Michael
        J. Watts. Published at Kew by PRO Publications, 1998 (Public Record
        Office Readers' Guide no. 20).

        Both of these are likely to be found in the libraries of many
        genealogical societies.

        If your ancestor became a Ship Master (i.e. Captain) the story is
        different. In this case, you need to consult the Lloyd's "Captains
        Registers" at the Guildhall Library in London. These registers give
        details of the careers as captain and/or mate of merchant sea captains
        who held British or British colonial master's certificates, on those
        vessels whose voyage details were transmitted to Lloyd's. This will
        give you (most of) their career after gaining their Master's Ticket,
        and it will also give you the number of the Master's Ticket (NOT the
        same as the number of his seaman's ticket). Armed with that, you can
        go to the library in the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich, where
        you can see and photocopy the actual certificate, and more
        importantly, you can also get a copy of the application for the
        certificate, in which the seaman gives details of his career up to the
        time of application. Unfortunately, none of this is available online,
        so you need to go in person, or have someone go on your behalf. There
        is an incomplete index to the Captains' Registers, but unfortunately
        it doesn't (yet) cover S.

        See http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/capreg.htm for more info about the
        Captains' Registers, plus other sources of information, including a
        section about other merchant seamen.

        I hope this is some help. Researching seamen is not easy.

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...

      • Jill Haworth
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2009
          Thank-you Mary, for your response. I don't know Wade Buchan's email address. Do you have it? I appreciate your help and will follow-up on your suggestions.
          Thanks, again
          Jill Haworth

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2009
            Jill,
            Wade Buchan's email address is actually on his web site (look for the
            mail box icon). It is wsb@...
            Mary

            On 07/06/2009, at 11:08 PM, Jill Haworth wrote:

            > Thank-you Mary, for your response. I don't know Wade Buchan's email
            > address. Do you have it? I appreciate your help and will follow-up
            > on your suggestions.
            > Thanks, again
            > Jill Haworth

            Mary Barnes