James Robertson

  • moresmall
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
      Hi all

      James Robertson born 15 November 1818 in Peterhead, is my 2nd great
      grandfather, he married Ann Smith born 25 September 1817 in Portessie.

      James & Ann had 7 children, Jane ( Jeannie ) Robertson born 1849 in
      Peterhad, is my great grandmother, she married John Lawrence May from
      Inverallochy in 1867.

      Very recently just discovered the James was admitted to the Royal
      Lunatic Assylum in Aberdeen in 1855, dying there in 1871. It appears
      after he was admitted the family was split up.

      Am having great difficulty in tracking down Jane's whereabouts in the
      1861 census, also havent been able to find her mother Ann in 1861 &
      1871, its possible they went back to Portessie. Ann died in 1901 in
      179 Portessie.

      Does anyone have connections to this family would love to hear from you
      or can find them on above census's. Thank you.

      Kind regards

      Maureen, down under in New Zealand.
    • Cci
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2009
        1871
        12 Main Street, Inverallochy Rathen
        John May, H, mar, 24, Fisherman, brn Rathen
        Jane May, wife, mar, 21, brn Peterhead
        James May, son, 2, brn Rathen
        Jane May, dau, 6 months, brn Rathen

        1881
        12 Main Street, Inverallochy, Rathen
        Jane May, wife, mar, 30, Fishermans wife, brn Peterhead
        James May, son 12, scholar, brn Rathen
        Jane May, dau, 10, scholar, brn Rathen
        Ann May, dau, 8, scholar, brn Rathen
        Mary Jane May, dau, 4, brn Rathen
        Margaret May, dau, 2, brn Rathen
        Andrew May, son, 11 months, brn Rathen

        1891
        12 Main Street, Inverallochy Rathen
        Jane May, wife, mar, 40, Fishermans wife, brn Peterhead
        Mary Jane May, dau, 14, scholar, brn Rathen
        Maggie May, dau, 12, scholar, brn Rathen
        Andrew May, son, 10, scholar, brn Rathen
        John May, son, 8, scholar, brn Rathen
        Elizabeth May, dau, 6, scholar, brn Rathen
        Joan May, dau, 4, brn Rathen
        Robert May, son, 2, brn Rathen
        Mary Tail May, dau, 6 months, brn Rathen

        1901
        12 Main Street, Inverallochy Rathen
        John May, head, amr, 54, Fisherman, brn Rathen
        Jane May wife, mar, 50, brn Peterhead
        Margaret May, dau, 20, brn Rathen
        Andrew May, son, 16, brn Rathen
        Betsy May, dau, 16, brn Rathen
        Joan May, dau, 14, scholar, brn Rathen
        Mary Tail May, dau, 10, scholar, brn Rathen
        Robert May, son, 12, scholar, brn Rathen
        Georgina May, day, 5, scholar, brn Rathen

        Hi Maureen, I'm not related to your family.

        Good luck,
        Catherine
        Perth, Western Australia

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2009
          Hi,

          Have you tried the 1841 and 1851 census at
          http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl?

          Best regards, Sam

        • moresmall
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2009
            Hi Sam & Catherine

            Sam :
            Have been through there. Ann is a mystery person in 1861 & 1871, she doesnt appear to be in Peterhead, Portessie, still cant find Jane in 1861 either.

            Catherine :

            I have Jane in all the census after she married, she was living in Backgate Street, Peterhead, aged 2 in 1851, but having great difficulty in finding her anywhere in 1861 census.

            Thanks for your efforts

            Maureen