Helen Ann (nee Grant) Murray

  • Ian S. Parrish
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2009
      Helen was the daughter of William Grant and Ann Wallace. She was born on
      27th June 1871 at 11 Ugie Street, Peterhead. She married Alexander Murray
      (1860-1912). She died on 17th February 1926 at Faichfield House, Longside.
      However, I do not know where she is buried. Can anyone help please?

      Ian

    • Colin Murray
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 2009
        Hi Ian,

        I am currently out of country so haven't got access to my records, so
        if you give me a week or so I should hopefully be able to reply to a
        at least the 'Edward Murray' query.

        Regards

        Colin Murray

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ian S. Parrish" <hoplumbing@...>
        wrote:

        > Helen was the daughter of William Grant and Ann Wallace. She was
        born on
        > 27th June 1871 at 11 Ugie Street, Peterhead. She married Alexander
        Murray
        > (1860-1912). She died on 17th February 1926 at Faichfield House,
        Longside.
        > However, I do not know where she is buried. Can anyone help please?
        >

        > Ian

      • Colin Murray
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
          Hi Ian,

          You probably have the following information anyway but I have also searched several newspaper archives and as yet have not come up with any 'news' items about his loss so unfortunately for now it will have to remain a mystery.

          7/3/1891 - Missing presumed drowned from the Ship -
          ADIRONDACK: Registered in the port of Liverpool with a gross tonnage of 1999, official number 81292
          Rank: 3rd Engineer (marine)

          As for Helen Ann Murray (nee Grant) I too have yet to trace where she is buried although It is highly likely that she was intered in 'Peterhead' cemetery as the previous owner of Faichfield House, Captain William Salmon was intered there (the funeral 'took place on Wednesday from Faichfield House, Longside, to Peterhead Cemetery (Constitution Street)').

          Captain William Salmon was married to Jane McIntosh who was Alexander Murray's (d.1894) sister from their mothers marriage to Donald McIntosh.
          So it might be reasonable to assume that other Murray's might be buried in the lair of William Salmon as this name carried on through several generations of Murray's right down to my great uncle, hopefully something I can check on along with all other members of this 'Murray family' when the new cd is released for the MI's of
          Constitution Street cemetery.

          Helen accompanied Alexander on several of his voyages and their son Alexander Percy Murray was born on board the Perseverance on 4 June 1895 and named after the ship.

          All their children are a bit of an enigma - Thomas Wallace Grant Murray and William Salmon Murray I am also as yet unable to trace a burial place for, their other two sons Robert Bruce Hutchison Murray
          and Alexander Percy Murray I have no record for at all apart from their birth dates, they, possibly emigrating or moving to England.

          Alexander (d.1912)is buried on Gilmour Island, Ottawa Islands, Nanuvat, Canada and I have photographs taken last year of what is probably his and another seamans grave there.
          There are also several newspaper clippings and HBC documents referencing this.

          Two of the brothers also had Inuit families as well as their 'loved' ones back in Scotland and I have been in recent contact with one of their descendants in Arviat, Nunavut.

          JW Murray had a long and illustrious career which is well documented in several books and articles about.

          Regards

          Colin Murray

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ian S. Parrish" <hoplumbing@...> wrote:

          > Helen was the daughter of William Grant and Ann Wallace. She was born on
          > 27th June 1871 at 11 Ugie Street, Peterhead. She married Alexander Murray
          > (1860-1912). She died on 17th February 1926 at Faichfield House, Longside.
          > However, I do not know where she is buried. Can anyone help please?
          >

          > Ian

        • Colin Murray
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
            Should have checked previous posts before, this by Alison:
            The following taken from Constitution Street Cemetery, Peterhead:

            Erected by William Salmon, Shipmaster, Peterhead, in loving remembrance of his
            father, James Salmon, Seaman, who died Feby. 25th 1878, aged 72 years. Also of
            his sister Margaret Salmon, who died June 12th 1857, aged 11 years. Margaret
            Alexander, wife of the above James Salmon, who died 14th March 1888, aged 85
            years. Also Jane McIntosh, wife of the above William Salmon, died 7th August
            1902, aged 68 years. And the above William Salmon, died 15th Feby., 1919, in
            his 86th year.