Re: [Peterhead] Newspaper

  • Marie Cooper
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 20, 2009
      Hi Mary,

      I am looking for Alexander Florence who lived with his brother and his family before and during the census of 1841. He was a blacksmith. Of course then there is nothing to connect him by for time frame until after many years I find him leaving Tasmania by ship for Adelaide. I have the years between 1841? to 1845. I cannot find him arriving in Tasmania. I had a vague hope there may have been a little weekly newspaper and his immigration may have been recorded - but of course that hope has faded.
      Good luck with your research during 2009
      Marie

    • Lexi Clark
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
        Hey thanks. This is my family. I have recently found a couple of Nicol relatives in Scotland (this isthe spelling that they continue to use). All thanks to postings such as this!

        Lexi
        British Columbia
        Canada

        To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom: marysb@...: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:06:12 +1100Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Newspaper

        Hi Lexi,This interested me, as many of my Peterhead ancestors were Nicols. I have a listing of all the Nicols in Peterhead in the 1861 census, but there was no Charles among them.However, the 1861 census (as transcribed by Ancestry) shows, living at 18 Jamaica Street, Peterhead:Charles Nichol (please note spelling, NOT Nicol), age 28, born about 1833 in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire. Occupation: Compositor Printer, employed 3 men and 5 boys.Other members of the household were:Helen Nichol, age 26, wife, born abt 1835 in Peterhead.Helen Nichol, age 5, daughter, born abt 1856 in Peterhead.Whiston Nichol, age 4, son, born abt 1857 in Peterhead.Charles Nichol, age 2, son, born abt 1859 in Peterhead.Janet Nichol, age 1, daughter, born abt 1860 in Peterhead.William Nichol, age 20, brother, born abt 1841 in Aberdeen. Occupation: Printer Compositor.Essie Brown, age 19, servant, born abt 1842 in Peterhead. Occupation: Domestic Servant.However, none of this is much help to Marie who started this thread. Marie, if you think your ancestor left Peterhead between 1841 and 1845, you could try the 1841 census. Since you don't give a name, I can't help you.Mary