Re: [Peterhead] Newspaper

  • ALISON KENNEDY
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 17, 2009
      Hi,

      Sorry I forgot about the Peterhead Sentinel.

      I believe The Sentinel was published from 1856 - 1914 and is available on microfilm from Peterhead Library.

      Alison

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 17, 2009
        THank you for the lead

        To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom: alison2kennedy@...: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 20:04:17 +0000Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Newspaper

        Hi,Sorry I forgot about the Peterhead Sentinel.I believe The Sentinel was published from 1856 - 1914 and is available on microfilm from Peterhead Library.Alison________________________________From: Lexi Clark <lexiclark@...>To: peterhead@yahoogroups.comSent: Saturday, 17 January, 2009 6:51:06 PMSubject: RE: [Peterhead] NewspaperI have an old biography written by my great great grandmother, and she claims in these memoirs that her relatives ran the Peterhead Sentinel in the 1800's. I have tried to find out more of this, but haven't had any luck. The last name is Nicol, and Charles Nicol was the editor. Charles son John was a reporter for this newpaper, and later went on to London to work as a parlimentary reporter. If anyone can make suggestions on how I can find more on this newspaper, I would appreciate the help.ThanksLexiKelowna, British Columbia, CanadaTo: Peterhead@yahoogrou ps.comFrom: alison2kennedy@ btinternet. comDate: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:31:01 +0000Subject: Re: [Peterhead] NewspaperHi MarieUnfortunately the Buchan Observer didn't commence until January 1863. Prior to this Peterhead news would have appeared in the Aberdeen newspapers, but this was usually dependant on available space and during the 1840's this would have been limited to only major events. I have done considerable amount of research on old newspapers and I would not expect to find any news of a person emigrating at this time.Regards. Alison ____________ _________ _________ __From: Marie Cooper <minbalup@ihug. co.nz>To: Peterhead@yahoogrou ps.comSent: Thursday, 15 January, 2009 7:39:17 PMSubject: Re: [Peterhead] NewspaperI am trying to find out more information and wondered if there was a newspaper relating only to events in Peterhead around 1841-1845. I have this ancestor arriving 1845 in Australia but would like to find out when he left Peterhead working with his brother as a blacksmith and boarding with his brother and his family.Can anyone help with this questionplease?Marie but cannot [Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non- text portions of this message have been removed] ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Show them the way! Add maps and directions to your party invites.http://www.microsof t.com/windows/ windowslive/ events.aspx[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • Marie Cooper
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 17, 2009
          Newspaper the Sentinel that would have been the paper where perhaps a mention may have been made but unfortunately Alexander was leaving Tasmania in 1845 so the missing years are 1841 Peterhead as a blacksmith and 1845 on the way to Sth Australia. Thank you Alison for telling me about the Peterhead Sentinel.
          Marie

        • malcolm.simpson@ntlworld.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
            The "Peterhead Sentinel"has the following on its back page:-Printed and Published every Friday morning at the Office,18,Jamaica Streer,Peterhead by Charles Nichol,residing there.
            Oviously the paper was printed from home.Therefore there maybe information from the census of that time.Try 1861.
            Best of luck,Malcolm Simpson.
            ---- Lexi Clark <lexiclark@...> wrote:

            > I have an old biography written by my great great grandmother, and she claims in these memoirs that her relatives ran the Peterhead Sentinel in the 1800's. I have tried to find out more of this, but haven't had any luck. The last name is Nicol, and Charles Nicol was the editor. Charles son John was a reporter for this newpaper, and later went on to London to work as a parlimentary reporter.
            > If anyone can make suggestions on how I can find more on this newspaper, I would appreciate the help.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Lexi
            > Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
            >

            > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom: alison2kennedy@...: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:31:01 +0000Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Newspaper
            >

            > Hi MarieUnfortunately the Buchan Observer didn't commence until January 1863. Prior to this Peterhead news would have appeared in the Aberdeen newspapers, but this was usually dependant on available space and during the 1840's this would have been limited to only major events. I have done considerable amount of research on old newspapers and I would not expect to find any news of a person emigrating at this time.Regards.Alison ________________________________From: Marie Cooper <minbalup@...>To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comSent: Thursday, 15 January, 2009 7:39:17 PMSubject: Re: [Peterhead] NewspaperI am trying to find out more information and wondered if there was a newspaper relating only to events in Peterhead around 1841-1845. I have this ancestor arriving 1845 in Australia but would like to find out when he left Peterhead working with his brother as a blacksmith and boarding with his brother and his family.Can anyone help with this question please?Marie but cannot [Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          • Mary Barnes
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 20, 2009
              Hi Lexi,
              This interested me, as many of my Peterhead ancestors were Nicols. I
              have a listing of all the Nicols in Peterhead in the 1861 census, but
              there was no Charles among them.
              However, the 1861 census (as transcribed by Ancestry) shows, living at
              18 Jamaica Street, Peterhead:
              Charles Nichol (please note spelling, NOT Nicol), age 28, born about
              1833 in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire. Occupation: Compositor Printer,
              employed 3 men and 5 boys.
              Other members of the household were:
              Helen Nichol, age 26, wife, born abt 1835 in Peterhead.
              Helen Nichol, age 5, daughter, born abt 1856 in Peterhead.
              Whiston Nichol, age 4, son, born abt 1857 in Peterhead.
              Charles Nichol, age 2, son, born abt 1859 in Peterhead.
              Janet Nichol, age 1, daughter, born abt 1860 in Peterhead.
              William Nichol, age 20, brother, born abt 1841 in Aberdeen.
              Occupation: Printer Compositor.
              Essie Brown, age 19, servant, born abt 1842 in Peterhead. Occupation:
              Domestic Servant.

              However, none of this is much help to Marie who started this thread.
              Marie, if you think your ancestor left Peterhead between 1841 and
              1845, you could try the 1841 census. Since you don't give a name, I
              can't help you.

              Mary
            • Marie Cooper
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 20, 2009
                Hi Mary,

                I am looking for Alexander Florence who lived with his brother and his family before and during the census of 1841. He was a blacksmith. Of course then there is nothing to connect him by for time frame until after many years I find him leaving Tasmania by ship for Adelaide. I have the years between 1841? to 1845. I cannot find him arriving in Tasmania. I had a vague hope there may have been a little weekly newspaper and his immigration may have been recorded - but of course that hope has faded.
                Good luck with your research during 2009
                Marie

              • Lexi Clark
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
                  Hey thanks. This is my family. I have recently found a couple of Nicol relatives in Scotland (this isthe spelling that they continue to use). All thanks to postings such as this!

                  Lexi
                  British Columbia
                  Canada

                  To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.comFrom: marysb@...: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:06:12 +1100Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Newspaper