peterhead colour

  • susan
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 1998
      Dear Wade, et al,

      Happened on this on the net and could not resist both for the Buchan name
      and the
      visual painting of the place and I imagine not much is changed about this
      scene
      since our ancesters lived there! As an aside, I always pronounced the name
      Peterhead the way it looks, but a cousin of mine was there a few years ago
      told me
      that the locals say "Peter-heed" is correct. (Presumptous of me to think no
      one
      knows this!)

      A Taezali Tippance: Selected Poems in Doric & English From a North East
      Loon
      William Buchan

      William Buchan is a lifetime resident of Aberdeen and Peterhead, Scotland.
      Not bent towards his family´┐Żs fishing business, he worked in the oil
      industry. Poetry is his passion more than profession. The title, A Taezali
      Tippence, is drawn from an ancient Pictish tribe, the Taezali, who lived in
      the Peterhead area.

      This small book of friendly poems is written in a mixture of the Doric
      language and English. It can be understood best if read out loud. Let the
      rich brogue ripple off your tongue and transport you to Scotland. Topics
      are everyday life with a humorous bent. Some of the poems were written for
      the pupils of St. Combs Primary School who read them during Doric
      competitions and presentations.

      But the best way to see what this collection of verse is all about is a
      short sample:

      THE BACK O' SUNDAY
      Distributed by Taezali Publishing

      Fairy lichts on a coal black screen
      Dancin silently
      The back o' Sunday in peterheid
      As the fishin boats ging ti sea

      The hairbour itsel, for an oor or twa
      Is bustlin wi noises and lichts
      As the boats mak ready for the week aheid
      That starts just aifter midnicht

      Slippin oot past the hairbourheid
      And the crowdy o' folk on the pier
      The boaties roll on the open swell
      As they find their course ti steer

      Noo the last lichts hiv disappeared
      And the bairbour has geen ti sleep
      May God watch ower every man
      On a fishin boat that gings ti sea.

      Susan Williamson
      Bellingham, Washington
    • Roderick Hay Bain
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 1998
        Fit like?

        Aye. Peeterheed.

        Also a notorious shout from us Brochers nearby when their football team
        shoots the ball high over the goal bar.

        --
        Rodi Bain