Re: [Peterhead] Alexander Tait

  • Anne Allan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009
      Constitution Street is a large cemetery, and is divided into sections,
      several of which have the number 622.
      I believe that the grave you are looking for is B622, The gravestone
      reads:

      "Erected by John Buchan in memory of his affectionate wife Jane Tait who
      died 28^th Sept 1882 aged 26 years also Alexr. Tait who died 30^th July
      1875 aged 88 years also his father John Buchan who died 20^th Oct 1893
      aged 56 years also his mother Jane Tait who died 19^th May 1896 aged 67
      years also his son William George died 7^th January 1901 aged 1 year & 7
      months also my second affectionate wife Isabella Buchan died 9^th May
      1935 aged 71 years also the above John Buchan died 26^th January 1941
      aged 80 years."

      If you go back to the registrars at Arbuthnot House and tell them it is
      B622 you are looking for, they may be able to look up the information in
      the burial books. There is usually a charge for this.

      As Margie has already said, the Family History Society of Buchan is
      currently preparing the MI's for publication on CD. This is likely to
      take some a few months yet. Details of the Society are available on our
      website, fhsb.org.uk, and the CD will be advertised there when it is
      available.

      Regards

      Anne

      Isobel Buchan wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Happy New Year to everyone. Let's hope we manage to breakdown all
      > these brick walls we have in our genealogy this year. I'm wondering if
      > someone is able to help with a lair record for grave number 622 at the
      > Constitution Street cemetery. A friend was told that his
      > ggggrandfather who died on 30/7/1875 was buried there but he would
      > like to be able to prove it was the correct Alexander Tait by finding
      > out who was also buried there. He did try Arbuthnot House but they
      > didn't have that information on their computer. Maybe there is a
      > headstone which might give additional information.
      >
      > Any help with this would be very much appreciated.
      > Thanks,
      > Isobel Buchan

    • Isobel Buchan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2009
        Thanks for such quick and informative responses from Denis, Margie and Anne! I've forwarded them on to my friend and I'm sure he'll be most appreciative of your time and effort. From what I know, I think B622 is likely to be the one he wanted.

        I'll look forward to the cd coming out as this will cover a period where most of the people buried would also be in one of the available census so I can confirm a lot of our research. It's very good that it is being done now before the stones have deteriorated to the same extent as the ones in St. Peter's. Congratulations to everyone involved for all their hard work in undertaking such a huge project and it being so near completion.

        Thanks again,
        Isobel