Alexander Tait

  • Isobel Buchan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009
      Hi,

      Happy New Year to everyone. Let's hope we manage to breakdown all these brick walls we have in our genealogy this year. I'm wondering if someone is able to help with a lair record for grave number 622 at the Constitution Street cemetery. A friend was told that his ggggrandfather who died on 30/7/1875 was buried there but he would like to be able to prove it was the correct Alexander Tait by finding out who was also buried there. He did try Arbuthnot House but they didn't have that information on their computer. Maybe there is a headstone which might give additional information.

      Any help with this would be very much appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Isobel Buchan

    • DENNIS .
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009
        CAN'I REALLY HELP BUT HAVE YOU TRIED THE LOCAL CHURCH.  GOOD LUCK & HAPPY NEW YEAR.
                                                                  DENNIS WARDLE.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009
          Isobel Hi,

          Happy New Year to you and family. The only Alexander tait I can see in
          Constitution St is

          Erected by Alexander and Mary Tait in loving memory of our beloved
          daughter Helen Ann died 22 March 1916
          aged 23 their son John died 14 Oct 1898 aged 4 yrs also their daughterr
          Mary Alice beloved wife of Cummin Summers
          died 30 Jan 1933 aged 31 also the above Alexander Tait died 31 May 1933
          aged 64 years.

          However I only have the draft - the CD with photographs is now finished
          and is being checked and put into suitable format as
          I write. Meeting of FHSB tonight so will find out when it will be
          available for sale.

          Have you checked St Peters as the dates on the above seem to be later
          than the one for which you are searching.

          Margie
        • Anne Allan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009
            Constitution Street is a large cemetery, and is divided into sections,
            several of which have the number 622.
            I believe that the grave you are looking for is B622, The gravestone
            reads:

            "Erected by John Buchan in memory of his affectionate wife Jane Tait who
            died 28^th Sept 1882 aged 26 years also Alexr. Tait who died 30^th July
            1875 aged 88 years also his father John Buchan who died 20^th Oct 1893
            aged 56 years also his mother Jane Tait who died 19^th May 1896 aged 67
            years also his son William George died 7^th January 1901 aged 1 year & 7
            months also my second affectionate wife Isabella Buchan died 9^th May
            1935 aged 71 years also the above John Buchan died 26^th January 1941
            aged 80 years."

            If you go back to the registrars at Arbuthnot House and tell them it is
            B622 you are looking for, they may be able to look up the information in
            the burial books. There is usually a charge for this.

            As Margie has already said, the Family History Society of Buchan is
            currently preparing the MI's for publication on CD. This is likely to
            take some a few months yet. Details of the Society are available on our
            website, fhsb.org.uk, and the CD will be advertised there when it is
            available.

            Regards

            Anne

            Isobel Buchan wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Happy New Year to everyone. Let's hope we manage to breakdown all
            > these brick walls we have in our genealogy this year. I'm wondering if
            > someone is able to help with a lair record for grave number 622 at the
            > Constitution Street cemetery. A friend was told that his
            > ggggrandfather who died on 30/7/1875 was buried there but he would
            > like to be able to prove it was the correct Alexander Tait by finding
            > out who was also buried there. He did try Arbuthnot House but they
            > didn't have that information on their computer. Maybe there is a
            > headstone which might give additional information.
            >
            > Any help with this would be very much appreciated.
            > Thanks,
            > Isobel Buchan

          • Isobel Buchan
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 15, 2009
              Thanks for such quick and informative responses from Denis, Margie and Anne! I've forwarded them on to my friend and I'm sure he'll be most appreciative of your time and effort. From what I know, I think B622 is likely to be the one he wanted.

              I'll look forward to the cd coming out as this will cover a period where most of the people buried would also be in one of the available census so I can confirm a lot of our research. It's very good that it is being done now before the stones have deteriorated to the same extent as the ones in St. Peter's. Congratulations to everyone involved for all their hard work in undertaking such a huge project and it being so near completion.

              Thanks again,
              Isobel