Re: [Peterhead] Duncan family tree

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2008
      Donna,

      The name William Duncan sounded familiar to me, so I checked my data
      and found that a William Duncan drowned off Peterhead in May 1877, at
      the same time as my great-grandfather Matthew Nicol. I have no idea if
      the is part of your family, but if he is, it would explain the absence
      of one of the graves you were looking for. The three men were lost at
      sea, and their bodies never found. I have copied below one of the
      newspaper reports of the incident. Please let me know if you think
      this William Duncan is related to you - if he is, I can send you more
      newspaper reports, and the register entries of the three deaths.

      Also, I checked the the St Peters Churchyard CD, and it lists 22
      Duncans. I know the care taken by the people who do these
      transcriptions. They transcribe as much as possible, even from very
      worn gravestones. It is easy to miss inscriptions when searching by
      walking around the graveyard, so it might be worth your while getting
      hold of the CD and having a look there.

      I too have been searching for the graves of several ancestors, and
      have been puzzled by being unable to find them. I am told that many
      poorer people (which could include some fisherfolk) could not afford a
      stone. You need to look at the lair records to find out who was buried
      where. I was told that I could find these at Arbuthnot House in
      Peterhead, but you need to make an appointment in advance. In
      September this year, I went there without an appointment, and they
      were too busy to help me.

      Mary Barnes

      From the East Aberdeenshire Observer, Friday May 11, 1877.

      Melancholy Boat Accident — Three Lives Lost.—A melancholy boat
      accident, resulting in the loss of three lives, occurred on Monday
      afternoon. The arrival of one or two vessels at Peterhead were
      expected that day, and in order to get an earlier view of them as they
      approached from the South, Matthew Nicol, pilot; William Duncan,
      seaman; and John Suttar Strachan, son of Geo. Strachan, master of the
      steam tug Pride o’ Scotland, proceeded in a boat to Boddam. Having
      remained there for a short time and taken refreshments they again went
      to sea to pilot any vessel to the harbour which might require their
      services. They were never again seen alive, and in the evening a
      Burnhaven crew who had been at the haddock fishing found the boat, in
      which the unfortunate men had sailed, lying on its broadside and the
      occupants nowhere to be seen. The boat was towed into Boddam. It is
      supposed that it had been upset by a sudden squall as when found the
      sail was set and the sheet fast. Several boats have since been out in
      the vicinity where it is supposed that the boat has been swamped, but
      none of the bodies have yet been seen, and there can be no doubt that
      the tide has carried them southwards.

      Matthew Nicol, who was 66 years of age, leaves a wife and nine of a
      family, most of whom are grown up. He was a native of Berwick, but
      for many years was master and part owner of several trading vessels,
      and latterly he owned a herring curing establishment in Peterhead.
      William Duncan, who was 58 years of age, was a seaman, and for many
      years sailed in the schooner Jane of Peterhead. He leaves a wife and
      four of a family. Strachan used to sail with his father, but on
      Monday he chanced to stop on shore and by accident accompanied Nicol
      and Duncan into the boat to Boddam. Much sympathy is felt for the
      relations of the drowned men.

      Mary Barnes
      marysb@...
    • bty20501509
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2008
        Mary,
        Strangely enough I was discussing the page with William Duncan
        on it with the registrar on Thursday.Her opinion was that none of the
        bodies had ever been found or if found could not be identified.This
        was because there is no cause of death entered and no corrections
        entered at the side or as corrective entry note (the script on the
        left hand side is just the registrar initialling a small mistake).Do
        you any proof from your side bodies were never found. William Duncan
        is my ggg grandfather.I have the report below from the local library
        but would be grateful for any other reports on the event.

        Re lairs the registrar is certainly the key because in my own case I
        have a mixture of 4 generations over 119 years in 1 lair (14 burials -
        must be some sort of record).Gravestone inscription only covers 8 of
        them.I got a copy of the lairs entries but had to photograph it as it
        wont scan for D134,135 and D136 (which I think contains Donna
        interests)All Duncan's or relatives of.

        Have sent Donna an email as I cant post photo on here, Might try see
        if I can post them on photo section

        Rgds George Duncan